Hemed's disallowed goal

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
How can a player be offside if the ball is passed backwards? That makes no sense. (Unless I've misunderstood, which is possible as I've spent the afternoon port tasting)

A player could run back from an offside position to a ball played back, he is still offside.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Quote the part that says you cannot be offside from a ball played backwards.

The bit that says "nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball "

In other words in front of the ball. If he isn't closer to the goal line than the ball then he is behind and can't be offside.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
How can a player be offside if the ball is passed backwards? That makes no sense. (Unless I've misunderstood, which is possible as I've spent the afternoon port tasting)

The player receiving the ball could be returning from an offside position when the ball was played

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The bit that says "nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball "

In other words in front of the ball. If he isn't closer to the goal line than the ball then he is behind and can't be offside.

You said
"Apart from the fact that that the ball has to go forwards for a player to be offside...... "
That is not the same thing as you are now saying.
There is nothing in the laws (or the interpretations) that says you CANNOT be offside from a ball played backwards.

Look at the reply to Bakero above

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I said at the time to anybody who cared to listen that he can't be off side unless the ball went forward, and it didn't. Goal for me...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This threads confusing me. He was off courtesy of that video I'd say. There's no way the flag was for Kayal. The ball was definately passed forward by Kayal to Hemed. You cannot be offside if you're behind the ball when played. I'm pretty sure these are all correct...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
HE WAS OFFSIDE!!!

The direction that the ball is played is absolutely irrelevant ; backwards, forwards, sideways, straight up in the air - it doesn't matter. What matters is where Hemed was when the ball was played to him and he was both in front of the ball and beyond the second last defender. Offside.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
But then he would have been nearer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent! What aren't you getting?
:facepalm:
What the f are you on about?
We're talking about being offside from a ball played backwards, which is exactly what my point was.

People are saying that you CANNOT be offside from a ball played backwards, FULL STOP

Last edited:

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
HE WAS OFFSIDE!!!

The direction that the ball is played is absolutely irrelevant ; backwards, forwards, sideways, straight up in the air - it doesn't matter. What matters is where Hemed was when the ball was played to him and he was both in front of the ball and beyond the second last defender. Offside.

Not true. In this case it seems as if the ball was played forwards, so the right decision was made. If it was played backwards to him however, he'd have been onside and the goal should've stood.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Not true. In this case it seems as if the ball was played forwards, so the right decision was made. If it was played backwards to him however, he'd have been onside and the goal should've stood.

But only if he was not in an offside position.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
But only if he was not in an offside position.

I always understood the rule was "if the ball is played forwards" therefore if the ball is passed back then it doesn't matter what position the receiver is in.

Seems irrelevant in this case but worth clarifying, any refs out there ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I always understood the rule was "if the ball is played forwards" therefore if the ball is passed back then it doesn't matter what position the receiver is in.
Yeah, that's wrong. Some people who are explaining the basics of offside, might incorrectly say that it's when the ball is played forwards, but it's actually nothing to do with the direction it's played, it's about the position the attacking player is standing. If they're behind the ball, they're ok, if they're ahead, they're in an offside position. Obviously we'd normally expect the ball to have to be played forward in order for them to receive it, but it's not always the case, and the direction the ball is played is irrelevant, as it's not mentioned in the laws of the game.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Seems irrelevant in this case but worth clarifying, any refs out there ?
There is no direct mention of the word forward, but the way the law is worded indicates that a player would have to be in front of the ball at the moment it was played. This would then mean a player coming back from an offside position could receive a ball played backwards and still be offside, as he was in front of the ball at the time it was played, irrespective of direction of travel.

Clear?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Where exactly have you got that idea from? It's not mentioned in the laws of the game is it?

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside.aspx#

An interpretation here.......not sure it's relevant though, as think the ball was played forward to Tomer anyway (marginally)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4993924.stm

OFFSIDE ESSENTIALS
Here are a few more things to remember.
You can't be offside if:
You receive the ball directly from a goal kick, a throw-in or a corner
You are in your own half of the pitch
You are level with the second last or last two opponents
You are level with or behind the ball
You are not actively involved in play, as explained above
For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free-kick to the opposing team, to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here