Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed to Reading?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Only 12 players in the ENTIRE Premier League scored 15+ goals last season, if that's what people are expecting.

Positions 8 - 21 top scorers:

8 - Southmapton: Nathan Redmond, 7 goals.
9 - Bournemouth: Joshua King, 16 goals.
10 - West Brom: Salomon Rondon, 8 goals.
11- West Ham: Michail Antonio, 9 goals.
12 - Leicester: Jamie Vardy, 13 goals.
13 - Stoke: Peter Crouch, 7 goals.
14 - Crystal Palace: Christian Benteke, 15 goals.
15 - Swansea: Fernando Llorente, 15 goals.
16 - Burnley: Sam Vokes, 10 goals.
17 - Watford: Troy Deeney, 10 goals.

Positions 18-20: irrelevant as three lowest scorers in the division and did not score enough goals to stay up.

Let's say take Sam Vokes out of the Burnley team and put Hemed in. Does he score more or less than 10 goals? I'd go less by some margin, he isn't an upgrade on any of those strikers in that list and we need to be better than at least one of those teams to stay up.(Huddersfield and Newcastle as well)

If we get 7m for Hemed whoever did that deal needs a pay rise. I don't think he's physically, mobile or prolific enough to lead the line at PL level.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
As implied by most post, if you want all those attributes in the Premier League you are expecting too much. That kind of player will cost 30m+. If Hemed replicates his La Liga record in the Premier League (no guarantee, not least because they are completely different leagues), then he will have done very well for us this season (if he stays) - and I would be delighted with that sort of contribution from any of our players. Scoring goals in the Premier League is HARD.

I think what he's implying is that, to succeed on any level in the Premier League, you need at least one of those attributes, and ideally that attribute would be one that fits into the style of play of the team said player is representing.

I honestly think Hemed will struggle to get more than 4-5 goals this season. I just don't think he has the attributes to complement the defensive, counter attacking style we're clearly going to play that relies heavily on pace up front or a very good target man to bring our attacking midfielders into play. Consequently, if we can get an upgrade with either of these attributes, then we'd be crazy not to. After all, what is key isn't the amount of goals our centre forward scores, but the amount of goals we as a team could score with the right centre forward playing up top for us.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Let's say take Sam Vokes out of the Burnley team and put Hemed in. Does he score more or less than 10 goals? I'd go less by some margin, he isn't an upgrade on any of those strikers in that list and we need to be better than at least one of those teams to stay up.(Huddersfield and Newcastle as well)

If we get 7m for Hemed whoever did that deal needs a pay rise. I don't think he's physically, mobile or prolific enough to lead the line at PL level.

I think what's key about each of the players in that list is that they all have a stand out characteristic or two. Vokes, Deeney, Llorente, Crouch, Benteke and Rondon are all good target men with a good physicality about them (even Crouch due to his limbs). Redmond is a fast paced, skillful attacker, as are King and Antonio, and Vardy is a Premier League winning striker with pace, skill, the ability to defend from the front and the ability to finish a large portion of chances.

Which category does Hemed fit into in that?...

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
He's obviously gone if this Dwamena gets a work permit and we can bring in a loan. I know Ahmed musa is on 70k a week but he'd be far better than niasse and he won't get a game given they have five strikers ahead of him.

70k x 40 weeks = 2.8m

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Be mad not to take £7m for someone who doesn't look like he can score a goal in the prem unless it's a pen.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'll drive him there myself for £7 million but it would be quite annoying to have to go past Reading to go to Brighton to pick him up, and traffic will be a mare with the festival this weekend. Is he willing to get the train to Reading station and I'll drive him to the Madejski from there?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Throughout the season, all our strikers will be needed. There will be injuries, suspensions and from the bench usage. Our problem is feeding the strikers but right now we only have 3 available.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Are Reading still receiving parachute payments?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How sad for Leeds, Reading etc that they have to wait for our eternal striker searches to complete.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
If we have turned down a substantial bid then it looks like our lack of striker recruitment will have cost us two-fold.

Surely we can't finish tomorrow without at least one addition in that department.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here