Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed- Nowhere near Championship standard

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Looking back on the game in the grey light of morning, one of the things that worried me yesterday, apart from the obvious, was the very poor passing to hemed. I noticed so many times, (and Wilson did the same) he moved into space and pointed to where he wanted it when the wolves bloke faffed about and Stephens went side wards.

Couldn't understand why kayal was taken off and he was very annoyed, kicking water bottles, slamming stuff around. I hope it was because he is being saved for the wolves game.

Hemed needs service, and if you can't beat the first man whilst trying to cross the ball, he has no chance. Zamora looks off the pace, as he has every right to and Wilson looks unfit.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Forget Hemed. Hopefully going forward if the players already in the squad are as good as they are believed to be and CH has the balls to play an attacking line up, then I'm looking forward to this......

Whocares Towell Kayal Lua Lua
Harper
Wilson

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Not a kneejerk thread but you wait until we lose a couple of games to post it. Looking at this thread and others on here, I think a lot of our so called fans don't deserve promotion. When we have a couple of poor results, after a fantastic season, they turn on the players and the manager. It is a sad reflection on our supporters.

With respect, that's complete bollocks. I've been watching him closely since he got dropped for the Charlton game and honestly can't see what extra he adds to the team compared to Zamora and Wilson. Of course the title of the thread is my opinion, not a fact, I wouldn't say that sharing my opinion of one players quality is 'turning on them' but each to their own.

As for the point others are making about 'service', there's no denying the crossing was largely poor last night. However notice how one of the only 'good crosses' came when Bobby Z was on the pitch, were they all poor crosses when Hemed was playing or does he simply not possess the class of attacking movement and positioning that Bobby has?

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
How can a player who's already scored 6 goals in his first season for the club be "nowhere near Championship standard"?!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The thread is not a question. It's a statement. We'll have to agree to disagree but to me starting a thread like this isn't a critique, it's slating a player who's given their all for the team.

As for last night, you're basically saying anyone who disagrees with you didn't watch the game. Hardly encouraging debate is it? He looked a bit lost at times last night but was also involved in some good build up play while not being offered much service.

In terms of what he offers, at the start of the season (especially when LuaLua was playing) he got into really good positions to finish off moves and scored goals. He's not bad in the air and needs to play in a front two with a Baldock/Wilson type player. He can be quite strong too.

The annoying thing is because he settled in so quickly, people forget that he came in from overseas and had never played in England before this season. Manu has the same issue and has hardly featured (despite costing more than Hemed). It is a different style of play to Spain so maybe having hit the ground running when he was unknown but is now struggling when people have seen his strengths and weaknesses and needs time to adapt.

To focus on the thread subject line rather than the debate that's trying to be had undermines your argument, not anyone else's.

What I'm saying, and it's good that you've focused on one line rather than the whole post, is that I've made up my mind that he didn't play well last night (and no one has suggested anything to prove otherwise) but that I'm open to being proven that he does bring something to our team going forward. I want the guy to succeed because I support BHA but at the moment I don't see it where he's concerned. I'm a big enough man to admit that but also to try and look objectively and look for improvement.

All you seem to do is make excuses for why he's poor rather than answering what he does or brings I.e. He's been poor because of a new country, not settled, relies on Lua Lua, relies on having a pacey striker up front. The one positive everyone has suggested from his performance last night was that he set up the goal that should've stood - in that instance he played the ball behind Stephens who did brilliantly to make something out of a poor ball. Service is only as good as an attacker makes it look, and at the moment Hemed is making the service look poor just as much as the service is poor.

Anyways, I'm going to bow out of this thread as no one seems able to answer the question about what he does. I'll go into the game on Friday as hopeful and as open minded as I always do, and hopefully Hemed will improve his recent form for the team.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I know the goal stats are terrible (1 in 16 weeks or something?) but for some odd reason I like Hemed. He puts everything into it, I think he is a much better player than, say, O'Grady, and I think he has suffered as much as anyone from some of the injuries. A lot of his service was coming from LuaLua, Baldock, Bong, Rosenior and March.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Being isolated up front definitely does not suit Hemed. Think CH got that wrong last night. He doesn't have the awareness or the right style of play to succeed in that role compared to someone like Ulloa. He's a victim of our current injury state in that there's not enough quality around him to allow him to play how he knows best. Championship standard? Yes. Premier League? No, but he'll do for now, but we need another striker asap if we're to maintain top 6 IMHO.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
So you think he's a deep lying attacker who needs someone else alongside him who will move in behind defenders to open up space for him?
That's the role he was playing earlier in the season. He won the flick ons for Baldock to chase, or moved into the space that Baldock set up.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Murrays first season in the Championship was shocking. He was 28 years old and the highest standard he'd played was League 1.
Palace fans wanted rid of him.
Next season he scored the goals that took them to the Premier League.

Hemed has already scored the same amount of goals as Murray had in his first Championship season. He's done that in half the number of games.

He's 28 years old and the highest standard he's played is La Liga.

I think maybe we should give him a chance.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Murrays first season in the Championship was shocking. He was 28 years old and the highest standard he'd played was League 1.
Palace fans wanted rid of him.
Next season he scored the goals that took them to the Premier League.

Hemed has already scored the same amount of goals as Murray had in his first Championship season. He's done that in half the number of games.

He's 28 years old and the highest standard he's played is La Liga.

I think maybe we should give him a chance.

Completely agree. Sadly, that appears not to be our way of doing things. It is easier to slag players off as that way you can say you were right if they don't improve and apparently claim some sort of credit for any improvement they do make (as appears to be suggested in another thread).

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Looking back on the game in the grey light of morning, one of the things that worried me yesterday, apart from the obvious, was the very poor passing to hemed. I noticed so many times, (and Wilson did the same) he moved into space and pointed to where he wanted it when the wolves bloke faffed about and Stephens went side wards.

Couldn't understand why kayal was taken off and he was very annoyed, kicking water bottles, slamming stuff around. I hope it was because he is being saved for the wolves game.

Hemed needs service, and if you can't beat the first man whilst trying to cross the ball, he has no chance. Zamora looks off the pace, as he has every right to and Wilson looks unfit.

Hemed needs to be in a position where he can collect the service offered!!

Quite a few times the ball moved down the wing quickly and by the time the cross came in Hemed had only just started daudling forward and was still 10 yards behind the action!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think Hemed is a good Championship forward. He can mix it physically and helps us play higher up the pitch. Opposition often get a lot of bodies around him and that's helped free up space for others. I think he's doing a decent job and given time, rather than getting on the back of our players who have done so well this season, will start to scoring some goals again too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you're saying he SHOULD have scored?
No because that kind of stupid thinking results in pathetic threads like this one.

Although had just 5 crosses of similar quality been produced I would expect at least one goal, and for that figure to be extrapolated out accordingly.

Quite how Hemed is responsible for the non-service that he was proved is beyond me.

Especially on a thread that strangely didn't appear after the Charlton game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No because that kind of stupid thinking results in pathetic threads like this one.

Although had just 5 crosses of similar quality been produced I would expect at least one goal, and for that figure to be extrapolated out accordingly.

Quite how Hemed is responsible for the non-service that he was proved is beyond me.

Especially on a thread that strangely didn't appear after the Charlton game.

Are you getting a bit Al Pacino Godfather III?......just when I'm out, they pull me back in...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you getting a bit Al Pacino Godfather III?......just when I'm out, they pull me back in...
I've been working jolly hard all day, but I've got to have something to do while eating my fried egg wraps.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Def not good enough. So many opposition front men give our defenders a hard time with there strength,skill and speed. eg Gray, Bristol City forward and Murphy last night. Although good to see some skill last night when goal disallowed he does nothing. I nearly think when Zamora not on Ogrady would be better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here