Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help me with this mind fire k

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Could I take this opportunity to remind my esteemed fellow posters of a sage piece of advice I once received: don't feed the troll.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
At first the diners have £10 each. = £30

At the end:

the diners have £1 each = £3
the restaurant has £25
the waiter has £2.

Which equals £30.

No money missing. No magic. Simples innit.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Puzzle from 'every day maths for adults'. 'The crooked waiter problem'. Author refers to a 'story about dividing up money that hardly anyone can get their head round'. In actual fact the waiter gives each lady a £1 change but 'slyly slips the other £2 in his pocket'. The trick is to make you add the £2 to the £27, instead of deduct it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
3 peeps out for a meal. Initially waiter tells them the total bill is £30. They give him £10 each. The waiter realises the bill is wrong and should only be £25. He takes five pound coins from the till. He gives them back one quid each and they let him keep £2 as a tip.

The 3 customers have therefore paid £9 each which is £27 total and the waiter has kept £2. What has happened to the other pound? At the time of writing I genuinely don't know the answer! HELP
What other pound? There's the £27 total, which covers the £25 bill and the £2 tip, but you're still thinking of the £30 original payment, which is no longer relevant, as that bill was wrong and ignored.
The problem is they gave him £10 each which adds up to £30, got £1 back which means they paid £27, the waiter kept £2 and that only adds up to £29.
Yes, you're easily confused aren't you. You don't add the £27 to the £2, you take the £2 off of the £27 to get the £25 bill. The £30 is not relevant.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Puzzle from 'every day maths for adults'. 'The crooked waiter problem'. Author refers to a 'story about dividing up money that hardly anyone can get their head round'. In actual fact the waiter gives each lady a £1 change but 'slyly slips the other £2 in his pocket'. The trick is to make you add the £2 to the £27, instead of deduct it. I goggled it and got a similar story with an explanation which only 2 of you came close to giving me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At this point, after so many people explaining it, I'm inclined to think he's :fishing:
I assumed that from the start.

What I like about this thread is that jimbob is going to have to admit that he's either a) a windup merchant (which would explain many previous posts) or b) a bit thick (which would explain many previous posts)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Then one of them says 'right so we've got a pound back each, so we have paid £9.66r each, for the meal and the tip and that adds up to £29. Hang on!

'When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.........'

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
What other pound? There's the £27 total, which covers the £25 bill and the £2 tip, but you're still thinking of the £30 original payment, which is no longer relevant, as that bill was wrong and ignored.
Yes, you're easily confused aren't you. You don't add the £27 to the £2, you take the £2 off of the £27 to get the £25 bill. The £30 is not relevant.

You did not know the answer other wise you would have been able to explain it. Once again. It is a genuine puzzle. You can google it. Not only are you a bit confused but you are too scared to admit it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Puzzle from 'every day maths for adults'. 'The crooked waiter problem'. Author refers to a 'story about dividing up money that hardly anyone can get their head round'. In actual fact the waiter gives each lady a £1 change but 'slyly slips the other £2 in his pocket'. The trick is to make you add the £2 to the £27, instead of deduct it.
But the trick didn't work on us, we're clearly too smart for you.

In fairness to the author, it's more confusing when told to you at speed, rather than written down in front of you.

So were you confused, or are you a troll?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I assumed that from the start.

What I like about this thread is that jimbob is going to have to admit that he's either a) a windup merchant (which would explain many previous posts) or b) a bit thick (which would explain many previous posts)
Help I being ganged up on again by the gay pervs!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You did not know the answer other wise you would have been able to explain it. Once again. It is a genuine puzzle. You can google it. Not only are you a bit confused but you are too scared to admit it.
Troll troll troll troll, troll troll troll troll.

Gonna have to be faster and smarter if you wanna catch me jimbob.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Help I being ganged up on again by the gay pervs!
So you try to confuse us, and fail. You try to troll us, and fail. So now you result to homophobic abuse. Brilliant.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
So you try to confuse us, and fail. You try to troll us, and fail. So now you result to homophobic abuse. Brilliant.
well you do seem to close ranks like a camp society quite a lot. I've nothing against homosexuals anyway.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I am not on a wind up. Only Guy Fawkes has really come close to explaining it. A lot of people have simply got their facts wrong in their attempt to explain. It is a genuine puzzle from a mathematician. I suspect some people can easily get their head round it but only Guy Fawkes has proved he can explain it. You might be a mathematician yourself but my gut feeling tells me not. Maybe you don't like the thread because you struggle with numbers.

It's not a number puzzle, it's a word trick.

But why did they give the waiter a tip for messing up the bill?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here