Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help me with this mind fire k

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
At this point, after so many people explaining it, I'm inclined to think he's :fishing:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
This. You just need to follow the cash flows:

1. £30 from customer to restaurant
2. £3 from restaurant to customers
3. £2 from restaurant to waiter

This ends up, as HKFC says, with £25 in till, £2 in waiter's pocket, £1 each in pockets of three customers - add them up and that's your £30.
£30 less £3 is £27. Plus £2 is £29.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
At this point, after so many people explaining it, I'm inclined to think he's :fishing:
It's a genuine puzzle which I am genuinely trying to get my head round. To be fair a minority seem to have understood the question and attempted to explain but I'm still a bit hazy.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
£30 less £3 is £27. Plus £2 is £29.

The bill was £25 and not £27. (this is where you are getting confused or fishing)

3 x £9 is not £25. (cost of the bill) To make it £27 (£10 x 3 minus the 3 x £1 returned to the customers) the £2 between £25 & £27 must be the £2 tip the waiter gets.
--------------------------------------------------
£30 (payment) minus £25 (bill) = £5.
£5 (left over after the overcharge) minus £3 (£1 to each customer) = £2.

You haven't accounted for the tip yet which must be the £2 left over from above.

It is written in a way to trick you into thinking the £2 is added to the £27 paid but in reality it's taken away from the £27 paid.

As others have said, it is the phrasing of the question that is designed to make it sound complicated.

The diners pay £10 each. So that's £30 in total.
The waiter brings back a £5. Each diner takes a pound back, £3 in total. They've now paid £9 each.
There's £27 left (£30 - £3). The waiter takes £2 as a tip, and there's £25 left in the till to pay for the dinner.

In summary:
£25 dinner + £2 tip + £3 back to the diners = £30

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
you are on a wind up - you keep getting the right answer and telling them theyre wrong? You have the explanation, so stop going back to using the wrong equations to prove them wrong please

I am not on a wind up. Only Guy Fawkes has really come close to explaining it. A lot of people have simply got their facts wrong in their attempt to explain. It is a genuine puzzle from a mathematician. I suspect some people can easily get their head round it but only Guy Fawkes has proved he can explain it. You might be a mathematician yourself but my gut feeling tells me not. Maybe you don't like the thread because you struggle with numbers.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
As others have said, it is the phrasing of the question that is designed to make it sound complicated.

The diners pay £10 each. So that's £30 in total.
The waiter brings back a £5. Each diner takes a pound back, £3 in total. They've now paid £9 each.
There's £27 left (£30 - £3). The waiter takes £2 as a tip, and there's £25 left in the till to pay for the dinner.

In summary:
£25 dinner + £2 tip + £3 back to the diners = £30
Thanks. That's 2 decent answers right at the end the of the thread.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I am not on a wind up. Only Guy Fawkes has really come close to explaining it. A lot of people have simply got their facts wrong in their attempt to explain. It is a genuine puzzle from a mathematician. I suspect some people can easily get their head round it but only Guy Fawkes has proved he can explain it. You might be a mathematician yourself but my gut feeling tells me not. Maybe you don't like the thread because you struggle with numbers.

Well I have suggested you getting your money out to work it out - if you find written explanations difficult to understand, do it visually and then you might understand the answers given to you. Otherwise, I would concur that you are on a wind up.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Well I have suggested you getting your money out to work it out - if you find written explanations difficult to understand, do it visually and then you might understand the answers given to you. Otherwise, I would concur that you are on a wind up.
either that or I am a din. I think it's more a case that you did not understand the question, did not know the answer or could not explain it

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Why bother going to a restaurant when they can't get the bill right first time?

Who was running it? Frank Spencer?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
either that or I am a din. I think it's more a case that you did not understand the question, did not know the answer or could not explain it

Jesus. I did not need to explain it as it had already been satisfactorily explained in the first few posts of the thread (THPP's explanation springs to mind)! You are the one who cannot understand the explanations, hence my suggestion to get your money out and try it and then maybe you will understand those explanations. If you found that beneath you, then you do not actually want to find out how this puzzle works. And that, sir, makes you a complete and utter din. And a divot.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
uploadfromtaptalk1427976541608.jpg

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
3 peeps out for a meal. Initially waiter tells them the total bill is £30. They give him £10 each. The waiter realises the bill is wrong and should only be £25. He takes five pound coins from the till. He gives them back one quid each and they let him keep £2 as a tip.

The 3 customers have therefore paid £9 each which is £27 total and the waiter has kept £2. What has happened to the other pound? At the time of writing I genuinely don't know the answer! HELP

The three customers have indeed paid £27 the waiter has £2 which you deduct not add 27-2 = the £25.. The mistaken bill of £30 is there to confuse only.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Ok, the initial question didn't confuse me at all and it seemed fairly simple.

Now that I've read all the responses I feel like I must have missed something, what is the problem meant to be?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Jesus. I did not need to explain it as it had already been satisfactorily explained in the first few posts of the thread (THPP's explanation springs to mind)! You are the one who cannot understand the explanations, hence my suggestion to get your money out and try it and then maybe you will understand those explanations. If you found that beneath you, then you do not actually want to find out how this puzzle works. And that, sir, makes you a complete and utter din. And a divot.
Better mop up after this thread before we get any more maggots crawling around.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Ok, the initial question didn't confuse me at all and it seemed fairly simple.

Now that I've read all the responses I feel like I must have missed something, what is the problem meant to be?

Now that you've read all the responses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here