Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heathrow expansion

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37764269

Zac Goldsmith quits as MP over Heathrow decision

Will be an interesting election considering the tories only won it off the lib dems last GE. Might depend if Zac runs as an independent and locals support him in numbers on the Heathrow issue, it is a London area though with a strong remain vote and equally voters might want to punish the tories generally over Brexit.

Zac ran a pretty nasty campaign with Xenophobic undertones for London Mayor as well.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Will be an interesting election considering the tories only won it off the lib dems last GE. Might depend if Zac runs as an independent and locals support him in numbers on the Heathrow issue, it is a London area though with a strong remain vote and equally voters might want to punish the tories generally over Brexit.

Zac ran a pretty nasty campaign with Xenophobic undertones for London Mayor as well.

He is standing as an independent and the Tories wont be contesting it either.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
In goldsmiths constituency they were 72% for remain whilst zac himself was for Brexit. Lib dems will play that card hard. Also could argue a vote against goldsmith would reign in tory appetite for Heathrow expansion given fear of other MPs like justine greening and the one who won Twickenham off cable may hop it

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I feel the Heathrow decision given the impact and decimation of villages that will now be on the runway and need to tunnel the m25 is a poor decision. Either extend the existing second runway or go Gatwick.

Poor poor plan and poor decision in my view

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Voting against Brexit in a by-election, after the UK referendum result. What a waste of a vote...

Vote for an individual who shares your view and will do more to hold gov to account. Sounds very democratic to me

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I feel the Heathrow decision given the impact and decimation of villages that will now be on the runway and need to tunnel the m25 is a poor decision. Either extend the existing second runway or go Gatwick.

Poor poor plan and poor decision in my view

Yes. Far better to concrete over huge parts of Sussex.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Gatwick could still build a second runway which was surported by WSCC however Heathrow has a better transport infrastructure which now includes crossrail.

Gatwick will also link in with an expanded Thameslink network when London Bridge is finished in 2018 as well as an interchange with Cross Rail at Farringdon.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013

You may also notice that the two runways are too close for safe operation together, 08L/26R is also far too short and is currently non-instrumental. So it is only for emergency use if something happens with 08R/26L! So Gatwick is effectively only a single runway airport. To be considered a two runway airport Gatwick needs a new runway to the south of the main runway and a considerable distance apart to allow for joint runway operation. And too be honest it is inevitable that the more runway capacity will be needed in the not too distant future so really the only sensible decision would have been to build both.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Yes. Far better to concrete over huge parts of Sussex.

I take it you've seen the details of the Gatwick plan? Although given your comment I suspect not.

Main objections were noise from new flight path, not the construction itself which was largely within the existing airport compound

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
(Ex-RAF) Manston Airport in Kent would have been an imaginative alternative. Very long runway, loads of undeveloped space, huge number of potential new and local jobs. Might also have seen off the chancers who want to develop the airport for non-airport use and a quick buck.

I've got to agree. Mainly because I'm utterly opposed to compulsory purchase of peoples HOMES especially at a pathetic 25% markup. Peoples investment in their homes and their memories shouldn't be destroyed just because a few greedy capitalists and government ministers say so.

Last edited:

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
The existing emergency runway at Gatwick is too close to the main runway for safe joint operations - therefore a new runway to the south is the only option!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I take it you've seen the details of the Gatwick plan? Although given your comment I suspect not.

Main objections were noise from new flight path, not the construction itself which was largely within the existing airport compound

The latest plans for Gatwick are actually pretty expansive and will take up a lot of land south of the airport to Manor Royal/Crawley taking out a few small buildings within Manor Royal itself. Not that the landscape is particularly spectacular.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
The latest plans for Gatwick are actually pretty expansive and will take up a lot of land south of the airport to Manor Royal/Crawley taking out a few small buildings within Manor Royal itself. Not that the landscape is particularly spectacular.

Yep but as I understand it, Manor royal was part of the original Gatwick estate and as you say, not exactly virgin downland

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yep but as I understand it, Manor royal was part of the original Gatwick estate and as you say, not exactly virgin downland

Please don't say that anything in that part of the world wouldn't be improved by putting a Runway on it! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here