Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heathrow expansion

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
They should have gone for Hearlthrow & Gatwick and have 2 international hubs with a new transport system to Gatwick.
No sympathy for local residents if you have lived there for some time they must have known Heathrow would only get bigger and if people have recently moved there then they must have been prepared to put up with the noise in the first place, if they don't like it then move somewhere quieter, even a few miles and you can't here it (Northolt, Harrow, Ruislip etc) I have some sympathy for those on the flight path though, places like Ealing, Brentford, Kew etc but as I used to live there they are a few thousand feet up and you don't notice it after a while.
Having said all that I liked the idea of a massive new airport in the Thames estuary but that would have disturbed quite a bit of wildlife, but you can't have it all.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
See below! The fact it has 2 runways, not 1, I mean you can see the frigging thing when you're there!

Indeed!

gatwick.png

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
BTW I do not know why no-one has considered RAF Northolt as Heathrow's third runway (the RAF will be leaving very soon) with a high speed rail link between the two sites?

they did. as well as Stanstead, Boris Island and Heathwick, linking Heathrow and Gatwick with an underground shuttle. Heathrow is the "simpliest" option on paper, sort of central for access from the rest of the country*, the one that the City likes (shortest time office to gate) and BA liked, though they claim otherwise now due to expected cost (im sure they were in favour some years ago). but its politically the most sensitive.

* as things are now, if you were starting from scratch its a terrible place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good move but Heathrow needs an extra runway just to deal with its current movements efficiently.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
All it will take is a vehicle to break down or stop under the runway for them to close the M25 and put a halt to all flights out of LHR. Chaos. Awful idea.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
All it will take is a vehicle to break down or stop under the runway for them to close the M25 and put a halt to all flights out of LHR. Chaos. Awful idea.

Why would they?

I presume you are referring to terrorist threat? Why can't an explosion be detonated in a moving vehicle? The traffic will regularly be moving very slowly around that part of the M25 anyway. A car completely stopped doesn't really change the equation does it? The runway construction will surely have to be designed to withstand 'anything'.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What i like about Government Policy is this. Leek to London 30 mins car to Station 90 mins on train so 2 hours. Hs2. Leek to Crewe in car 60 mins current Crewe to London 90 mins. 2hr 30 and Hs2 make Crewe to London 75 mins+ car,i need a drink ! You call this progress ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Because getting there is a complete pain in the arse, I can say that without fear or favour as I spend an awful lot of my working life travelling into deepest Kent and it is a good 20 minutes past Canterbury so probably the best part of a 2 hour drive out of London and has NO Railway Station.

No doubt transport links could be eventually sorted but it would be much, much easier to go for Gatwick or Heathrow.
Fair enough, I guess - although there is a railway line practically at the end of the runway. And, is the journey to Heathrow that much fun these days?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Gatwick could still build a second runway which was surported by WSCC however Heathrow has a better transport infrastructure which now includes crossrail.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Gatwick is still the better option, it would bring lots of jobs to the are and not cause anywhere near the pollution that it's going to create at Heathrow.

BUT, and it's a very big BUT, the airlines do not want Gatwick. No foreign long-haul airline has chosen Gatwick if slots were available at Heathrow. And those forced to fly to Gatwick due to no Heathrow slots being available have moved to Heathrow as soon as they were able to obtain slots.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Don't be ridiculous. Why would a vehicle stopped in a tunnel under the runway affect flights?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here