Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Health check ups…..

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I took an online stress test yesterday (Holmes & Rahe stress scale) and scored a rather scary 463! (low is good and anything in the 300-600 range is described as "You have a high or very high risk of becoming ill in the near future")

I'm sure that summary helped massively to reduce your stress, ffs!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm sure that summary helped massively to reduce your stress, ffs!

Yup.

Although I did choose an alcohol free beer after work, so the bleak summary may well be the prompt I needed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Had mine last month.
HbA1c 49
BP 124/78
Kidney eGFR 90 1.73m2
ACR 0.7
Cholesterol good 2.5 bad 1.2

Think I'm OK at the moment., though fat

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This year I reached the grand old age of 45 so decided to give my health an MOT.

Did the NHS check up ; high cholesterol, high BP. Thankfully neither high enough to require meds yet: but lifestyle changes. No nasties, diabetes or cancer wise or anything too serious.

Had my eye scan today; need varifocals. Ugh. Expensive too!

Had a niggling knee thing checked out. Need a scan and possibly an operation.

I almost wish I’d not bothered!

Had to invest in a BP monitor and bathroom scales and keep a food diary, BP diary and weight diary.

It’s great that there’s nothing too serious going on and I’m glad I know what shape I’m in but..never felt so old!

I exercise regularly and the diet is …okay-ish. Big “ish”

Anyone else had the NHS check up? Well worth it I reckon but how did you fare?

Until Covid I had one every 2 years, triggered by a bad blood sugar 20 years ago and a familily history of type 2 diabetes and sudden cardiac death. Been on statins for15 years (even though I don't need them after changing my diet). Ironically the stuff I was most concerned about (fats, kidneys, liver, CV system) are all great but it is my guts that give me problems, and they seem to be clueless in that regard. Good that you have acted now. You will need to drive this every 2 years yourself as the GP practice won't reach out :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This reminds me...

...I really must register with a new doctor's surgery!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Ha! Here you can get an NHS check at 40. And they don’t even have to pop a finger up anymore. Can all be checked with bloods. Sorry to disappoint :)

I was under the impression that at 40 you get invited by your GP to go and have one of these check ups. I'm 42 and not been asked. I'm not bothered as appreciate they've probably had better things to do over the last two years than tell me I'm overweight and I drink too much but do you have to request a check up yourself?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The blood pressure one is an interesting one.
Had mine checked every time I went to the University as part of the vaccine trial and it was always a little high, to high, but they said having your blood pressure checked tends to make you anxious and give you a raised blood pressure and therefore it was nothing to worry about?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Until Covid I had one every 2 years, triggered by a bad blood sugar 20 years ago and a familily history of type 2 diabetes and sudden cardiac death. Been on statins for15 years (even though I don't need them after changing my diet). Ironically the stuff I was most concerned about (fats, kidneys, liver, CV system) are all great but it is my guts that give me problems, and they seem to be clueless in that regard. Good that you have acted now. You will need to drive this every 2 years yourself as the GP practice won't reach out :thumbsup:

Same here Harry, I have been diagnosed Inflamed Bowel and diverticulitis but have suffered most of my adult life unfortunately my son appears to be following me. Cameras shoved in all directions barium meal/enema, bit removed but still horrible flare ups for no reason.

My GP invites everyone over 45 to have one yearly MOT, well worth it. Two weeks ago I had shoulder surgery, again, fortunate to have private health care. Part of pre-assessment was to have a full electrocardiogram which was good.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In Spain, your employed is obliged to pay for full private health check every so often. I was 37 at the time of my last one and got the all clear, although my blood sugar was a little higher than is ideal. Probably (well, definitely) need to cut down on the beer.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its a really good move, we're largely a nation of fatties these days. Little surprise the NHS is in so such trouble

Best get assessed before its too late and a stroke or heart attack arrives

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
I am 53 and have been getting texts from my surgery offering one for a while.

By coincidence I happened to be waiting for someone outside the surgery when I got another one. I took that as a sign so I popped in and booked an appointment!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I am 53 and have been getting texts from my surgery offering one for a while.

By coincidence I happened to be waiting for someone outside the surgery when I got another one. I took that as a sign so I popped in and booked an appointment!

Best choice.

Men are awful and bury our heads when it comes to our health. All the time we're breathing we think we're ok. It takes a scare for us to sit up and take notice. Too often it's too late.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The blood pressure one is an interesting one.
Had mine checked every time I went to the University as part of the vaccine trial and it was always a little high, to high, but they said having your blood pressure checked tends to make you anxious and give you a raised blood pressure and therefore it was nothing to worry about?

White coat syndrome. If you take it at home when you are relaxed it will be lower

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
This year I reached the grand old age of 45 so decided to give my health an MOT.

Did the NHS check up ; high cholesterol, high BP. Thankfully neither high enough to require meds yet: but lifestyle changes. No nasties, diabetes or cancer wise or anything too serious.

Had to invest in a BP monitor and bathroom scales and keep a food diary, BP diary and weight diary.

It’s great that there’s nothing too serious going on and I’m glad I know what shape I’m in but..never felt so old!

Good luck with the veirunfocals, they keep prescribing me those things and every time I wear them I get dizzy and fall over. Settled on distance and reading glasses now.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm 62 now but for the last 30 years have been type-1 diabetic (insulin dependent)

The two good things with this diagnosis are prescription fee exemption and a full annual checkup, including bloods, eyes and feet.
HbAiC is good for a T1 at 58
But I take a cocktail of meds to keep me in check
Worst stat is a BMI of 33

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was under the impression that at 40 you get invited by your GP to go and have one of these check ups. I'm 42 and not been asked. I'm not bothered as appreciate they've probably had better things to do over the last two years than tell me I'm overweight and I drink too much but do you have to request a check up yourself?

Covid messed it all up and the NHS will be dealing with the detrimental effect on men’s health for years to come.

Nevertheless, every male over 40 is entitled to the check up. There used to be a dedicated email you could simply book on but now you should request one through your GP.

Depending on your surgery they may invite you but don’t wait for the invitation, insist. As with all things NHS, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

My surgery is superb and have followed up everything they said they would, I’m pleased I insisted.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good luck with the veirunfocals, they keep prescribing me those things and every time I wear them I get dizzy and fall over. Settled on distance and reading glasses now.

To be honest BB, I’ve decided to stick with normal lenses. I wear contacts the vast majority of the time and wear specs for maximum an hour each day, usually only ten mins in bed reading. So spec “savers” will just have to survive without the extra £60.
They really do like to up-sell.
They didn’t like it when I said I’ll bring my own frames in next week for new lenses to go into. Nor when I refused to start a direct debit for contacts as I only use Specsavers to get my test and prescription and then I order them online.
She actually scowled at me ! Genuinely. :lolol:

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I had a parent with Munchausen-by-Proxy, if you know what that is, you’ll understand that I am extremely adverse to making doctors appointments and the stress they can cause. It’s only after ten years of therapy and with support that I have been able to make and keep these appointments and I am so glad I did.
For the first time in my life I feel in control of my own health. It feels brilliant.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Used to have an extremely comprehensive check up every year, was included as part of the company’s health insurance package. Loads of tests, questionnaire to be filled in beforehand etc. Even included a full fitness test. Missing it to be honest, was comforting to go through so many items and be told what’s what. Only real issue they ever identified for me was a heart irregularity - as a result of that got instantly referred for further tests with a consultant cardiologist and had scans etc (incidentally saw him a few months ago after he contacted me suggesting it was worth a follow-up - and he saw me quickly on the NHS)

Considering paying for the test periodically….cost was about £750 last time I looked, although in the age group now where I seem to be getting invited by for various screening things anyway (bowel cancer this week - ironically just after finding out my brother in law has it)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Apologies for just picking up on one aspect of your post. My experience of varifocals is that you must spend a decent amount of money on brand lenses. Everyone I know who has tried to do varifocals on the cheap with someone like Specsavers have had issues and not been able to get used to them. The pricier lenses are totally worth the money as you wont get hardly any distortions and when it comes to fitting stick to Boots, Vision Express or small independent.

I spent around £260 on lenses alone but brilliant from day one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here