Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Health check ups…..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This year I reached the grand old age of 45 so decided to give my health an MOT.

Did the NHS check up ; high cholesterol, high BP. Thankfully neither high enough to require meds yet: but lifestyle changes. No nasties, diabetes or cancer wise or anything too serious.

Had my eye scan today; need varifocals. Ugh. Expensive too!

Had a niggling knee thing checked out. Need a scan and possibly an operation.

I almost wish I’d not bothered!

Had to invest in a BP monitor and bathroom scales and keep a food diary, BP diary and weight diary.

It’s great that there’s nothing too serious going on and I’m glad I know what shape I’m in but..never felt so old!

I exercise regularly and the diet is …okay-ish. Big “ish”

Anyone else had the NHS check up? Well worth it I reckon but how did you fare?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It appears West Sussex CC don't offer them... :wrong:

They do. You have to be a bit crafty. Make a GP appointment for something, then ask for one. They no longer take direct requests. That’s how I did it and I’m West Sussex.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This year I reached the grand old age of 45 so decided to give my health an MOT.

Did the NHS check up ; high cholesterol, high BP. Thankfully neither high enough to require meds yet: but lifestyle changes. No nasties, diabetes or cancer wise or anything too serious.

Had to invest in a BP monitor and bathroom scales and keep a food diary, BP diary and weight diary.

It’s great that there’s nothing too serious going on and I’m glad I know what shape I’m in but..never felt so old!

Had the full works with GP and referral and optician over the last few months.BP already controlled by tablets since I was your age, so excellent. Cholesterol - 'Excellent, whatever you're doing, keep doing it'. Everything else all good including the finger test :blush:
Eyes no change, still just a bit short sighted.
Niggly knee driven by hip arthritis. Walk regularly to maintain it.
I excercise regularly and diet pretty good with an eye on Saturated Fat labels and not much alcohol. The food diary is an eye opener and you soon switch from writing what you eat and drink to eating and drinking what makes a healthier food diary. It's a neat trick.
A few years ago, I did a 10 night course at The Amex for Health and Wellbeing, I think it was Albion in the Community. Excellent base to work from and fun with other fans, part classroom and part bouncing around in the back of the North Stand. Make the effort at 45 and you'll appreciate it at 65.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Everyone should do this. If I had been monitoring my blood pressure I may have been on medication that could have prevented my stroke.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

What a coincidence, just been called by my surgery, whilst on holiday, offering me one. I'm 50 in a few months, had my last at 40. Put on a few more pounds since then and drink too much, probably get similar advice to you

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Glad I did it now. I seem to have caught it when lifestyle changes will do the trick. @Neville’s Breakfast , sorry to hear that. How are you doing now?

I had to push for a few of the NHS tests but as always with these things, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I have a BP check up on the 13th July, hoping I’ve made some improvements…

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Luckily only 33 so I'm invincible for another 12 years, but when the time comes no doubt the doc will tell me to quit everything or I'll be dead in five years.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Had the full works with GP and referral and optician over the last few months.BP already controlled by tablets since I was your age, so excellent. Cholesterol - 'Excellent, whatever you're doing, keep doing it'. Everything else all good including the finger test :blush:
Eyes no change, still just a bit short sighted.
Niggly knee driven by hip arthritis. Walk regularly to maintain it.
I excercise regularly and diet pretty good with an eye on Saturated Fat labels and not much alcohol. The food diary is an eye opener and you soon switch from writing what you eat and drink to eating and drinking what makes a healthier food diary. It's a neat trick.
A few years ago, I did a 10 night course at The Amex for Health and Wellbeing, I think it was Albion in the Community. Excellent base to work from and fun with other fans, part classroom and part bouncing around in the back of the North Stand. Make the effort at 45 and you'll appreciate it at 65.

Yes! Already changing habits to make for a better food diary. As you say, neat trick.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Luckily only 33 so I'm invincible for another 12 years, but when the time comes no doubt the doc will tell me to quit everything or I'll be dead in five years.

Ha! Here you can get an NHS check at 40. And they don’t even have to pop a finger up anymore. Can all be checked with bloods. Sorry to disappoint :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What a coincidence, just been called by my surgery, whilst on holiday, offering me one. I'm 50 in a few months, had my last at 40. Put on a few more pounds since then and drink too much, probably get similar advice to you

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

“Hello Sir, enjoying your holidays? Well….” Haha!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Glad I did it now. I seem to have caught it when lifestyle changes will do the trick. @Neville’s Breakfast , sorry to hear that. How are you doing now?

I had to push for a few of the NHS tests but as always with these things, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I have a BP check up on the 13th July, hoping I’ve made some improvements…

Pretty well all things considered, thank you. I am fully in the system with regular checks and a lots of medication. You wouldn’t know it it if you met me though as the only outward sign is fatigue. I am even back to teaching. I have been very lucky though, especially considering where I was two years ago and then again end of last year. Twice I’ve been in an induced coma and it’s a scary experience. Wish I had done the health check sooner.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Ha! Here you can get an NHS check at 40. And they don’t even have to pop a finger up anymore. Can all be checked with bloods. Sorry to disappoint :)

He checked mine with his finger. The weird thing was he had his hands on my shoulders at the time.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pretty well all things considered, thank you. I am fully in the system with regular checks and a lots of medication. You wouldn’t know it it if you met me though as the only outward sign is fatigue. I am even back to teaching. I have been very lucky though, especially considering where I was two years ago and then again end of last year. Wish I had done the health check sooner.

Good man. Great you’re teaching again too. I imagine that tests the BP!
Yes, I’m glad I did it. Just wanted to find out my “baseline”, if that makes sense. Some changes to make but hopefully I’ve caught early signs. Up to me now!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He checked mine with his finger. The weird thing was he had his hands on my shoulders at the time.

Seems an odd way to check blood pressure. Dr knows best though, I guess.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I get a check up from time to time. I had all my hematology and blood chemisty checked a year ago and all good, cholesterol was one point over the normal range but this was all; apparently no need to make any lifestyle changes at my age. Heart beat and dia and sys all good...althought I have always had a low pulse rate. I have a healthy lifestyle which helps.

As an aside, I get a book of vouchers from my health insurer every year, for various check-ups......the book gets thicker the older I get!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I never had any check-ups or tests as I always felt fine. At 59 I was diagnosed my Myeloma (blood cancer) but only after it had done major damage to my bones and kidneys. The signs would have been in my blood much earlier and would probably have been picked up by tests. If it had I would have been monitored and would have been treated when it started to spread, but well before any damage was done. Wish I had taken the time to get tests done earlier.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I never had any check-ups or tests as I always felt fine. At 59 I was diagnosed my Myeloma (blood cancer) but only after it had done major damage to my bones and kidneys. The signs would have been in my blood much earlier and would probably have been picked up by tests. If it had I would have been monitored and would have been treated when it started to spread, but well before any damage was done. Wish I had taken the time to get tests done earlier.

I'm sorry to hear this, but yes, a simple blood test can pick up a lot about your blood and organ function.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I should book myself one of these - having been in good shape previously, I've had a lot of niggly issues over the last 2 or 3 years - pretty much since I hit 40.

I've had a lot of joint pain - easily tweaked ankles and knees, shin splints, a frozen shoulder, neck & back niggles... Endless fatigue (14 month old daughter not sleeping doesn't help there) and very little energy. I seem more susceptible to colds etc than before too. I guess I am just seriously rundown.

There's a lot of sh|t going on in my life too (doesn't help with the sleep), so I took an online stress test yesterday (Holmes & Rahe stress scale) and scored a rather scary 463! (low is good and anything in the 300-600 range is described as "You have a high or very high risk of becoming ill in the near future")

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_82.htm

I think I know what the medical advice would be... reduce alcohol intake and remove as many of the stressors from your life as possible. Easier said than done on both counts!

Part of it is just getting old I suppose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here