Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Health check ups…..

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
When is the first routine NHS medical in the UK?

34 here and we’ve just had our child and it’s prompted me to consider health, lifestyle etc. the thought of blood tests makes me feel queezy as anything but suppose it’s gotta happen soon.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When is the first routine NHS medical in the UK?

34 here and we’ve just had our child and it’s prompted me to consider health, lifestyle etc. the thought of blood tests makes me feel queezy as anything but suppose it’s gotta happen soon.

Standard is 40 yrs old. But if you have family history or legit concerns you can request anytime.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Interesting comments about varifocals. I have always thought a varifocal prescription was the same whoever you went to. For simple reason they have my prescriptions for 10 plus years I have always gone back to Asda. Happy with service. Are some of you saying if I went somewhere else my varifocals would be different

The baseline prescription as deduced by the results of an eye test wont change. However, the fitting and dispensing is far more involved than normal glasses as you are effectively having three different strengths within the glass lens. For the fashion conscious it's also worth noting that not all frames will be suitable to have varifocal lenses fitted. Very narrow lenses areas wont have enough space to fit in all three prescriptions. Most opticians will know that and advise accordingly.

As stated earlier spend good money on lenses brands such as Essilor ,Varilux ,Nikon, Hoya, Carl Zeiss. With these you have a far higher chance of adapting quickly

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I have one contact lens for close work and the other is for long distance. The long distance eye is the dominant eye. I get on well with each.

I don't have an issue for close work - I can read and use my laptop/phone without any help of glasses. Tried various contact lens options - different strengths in each eye and even wearing just one lens ... but unfortunately I was constantly aware that no set up was anywhere near as good as wearing my glasses. If I wore a lens to give me 20/20 distance vision, it affected my vision when trying to read. A lower strength distant lens to enable me to read just didn't give me the clarity of distance vision I was happy with. During my more recent trial (I've had a go at this a few times over many years) I wore the lenses to the Amex and couldn't clearly identify players other side of the pitch. Fortunately I had taken my glasses with me ... so I took my lenses out within 10 minutes of the start of the game and popped my glasses back on!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
This year I reached the grand old age of 45 so decided to give my health an MOT.

Did the NHS check up ; high cholesterol, high BP. Thankfully neither high enough to require meds yet: but lifestyle changes. No nasties, diabetes or cancer wise or anything too serious.

Had my eye scan today; need varifocals. Ugh. Expensive too!

Had a niggling knee thing checked out. Need a scan and possibly an operation.

I almost wish I’d not bothered!

Had to invest in a BP monitor and bathroom scales and keep a food diary, BP diary and weight diary.

It’s great that there’s nothing too serious going on and I’m glad I know what shape I’m in but..never felt so old!

I exercise regularly and the diet is …okay-ish. Big “ish”

Anyone else had the NHS check up? Well worth it I reckon but how did you fare?

I did at 50, and whilst there spoke about "getting old and peeing etc", checked the prostrate and confirmed I had an enlarged prostrate and it needed monitoring. During the monitoring process noticed a high PSA during a routine blood check and led to a cancer diagnosis, still mild / non-aggressive but upped the checks. Fast forward to 60 these checks noticed it had turned aggressive and they removed the prostrate and the cancer, so a little check can literally save your life.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Out of interest and asking for a friend…. undertaking a full medical at “our” age is likely to highlight something like higher cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. At what stage would you need to notify my (ooops their) travel insurer?

When taking medication such as statins. The wife's travel insurance costs around 10% more.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had my 60+ MOT last month and my High Cholesterol crept over into the danger range range. Statins were reccomended as I had an 11% chance at 7 (?) of a heart attack in the next 10 years. Statins would reduce this to 5% chance and increase my chance of being diabetic by 4%. As a fit pescatarian I thought about it, as someone who has rheumatoid arthritis flare ups I thought about it, as someone who finishes parkruns as fast as the old body can allow I thought about it and as a heavy drinker I thought about it.
Visited GP yesterday. Answered the drink question by stating that a bottle of red as a lower limit a night could be normal for months on end. He replied "Do you want to continue drinking?" I said "Yes". Then you should go on statins he said. What a top man!

I now have a liver function test booked and then will have a second liver function test 3 months into the statin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here