Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2022/23 edition)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Who in their right mind insists on 21 degrees indoors at this time of year? That's a decent Spring/Summer temperature outdoors shirley? Frankly if you or yours insist on your indoors being maintained at a balmy 21 degrees 24/7 throughout our (so far) moderate Autumn/Winter, then IMHO you deserve every last penny of your £3k energy bill :shrug:
Recommended temperature for a living room

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowne...erature is,be heated to specific temperatures.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Held out till yesterday...20 minutes in the evening

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Been on a couple of weeks to help get the washing dry and take the chill off the house…..having a good ol wimpey house ..mid terrace and two up two down with one in the left helps ..ive joined the adopt a pensioner scheme so i can nab the warm home discount and the the Winter fuel payment…I’ll kick them out come Spring :whistle:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I picture a small army of nsc’ers staying up special :lolol:
I've just completed totting up November...

Electricity: 217 kWh, £89.45 incl. standing charge
Gas: 1,268 kWh, £139.58 incl. standing charge

By way of comparison, in November 2021 we used 407 kWh of electricity, and 2,745 kWh of gas, so we've made quite a big reduction, although the mild start to the month undoubtedly helped.

The total of £229.03 is just over our monthly Direct Debit amount of £225, which means we've just reached that tipping point where we start eating into the £1,006 credit balance that built up over the summer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've just completed totting up November...

Electricity: 217 kWh, £89.45 incl. standing charge
Gas: 1,268 kWh, £139.58 incl. standing charge

By way of comparison, in November 2021 we used 407 kWh of electricity, and 2,745 kWh of gas, so we've made quite a big reduction, although the mild start to the month undoubtedly helped.

The total of £229.03 is just over our monthly Direct Debit amount of £225, which means we've just reached that tipping point where we start eating into the £1,006 credit balance that built up over the summer.
Your gas cost of £140 against our £147 I think really demonstrates the lack of insulation you’ve mentioned previously. For we warm most rooms in the mornings and evenings to say 19c or 20c. Whereas you’re happy sweltering at 15c 😀.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Your gas cost of £140 against our £147 I think really demonstrates the lack of insulation you’ve mentioned previously. For we warm most rooms in the mornings and evenings to say 19c or 20c. Whereas you’re happy sweltering at 15c 😀.
No, we've upped it now.

Yesterday we used more gas than any other day in November, thus:

Hot water: 30 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the early evening

Heating AM: 6:15-7:30 - set to 18 degrees, but it didn't reach that - topped out at 16.6 degrees
Heating PM: 3:30-10:30 - set to 18 degrees which it hit at 5:23, it then flicked on and off throughout the evening around that temperature

In total the heating was on for 4 hours 15 minutes yesterday, and our total gas usage was 81kWh, about 70 of that will be heating.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Gave it a short run for the first time on Tuesday pm, mainly to test that all was working tickety-boo, and it was. Haven’t used it since, but have the log burner on much of the time as I’m a retired old git who spends a lot of time at home.
Having cut down on consumption, our dual fuel account with EON is in credit to the tune of over £1500.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No, we've upped it now.

Yesterday we used more gas than any other day in November, thus:

Hot water: 30 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the early evening

Heating AM: 6:15-7:30 - set to 18 degrees, but it didn't reach that - topped out at 16.6 degrees
Heating PM: 3:30-10:30 - set to 18 degrees which it hit at 5:23, it then flicked on and off throughout the evening around that temperature

In total the heating was on for 4 hours 15 minutes yesterday, and our total gas usage was 81kWh, about 70 of that will be heating.
Last 14 days had the heating on, averaging 57 kw/h for gas. Most of the house at 16.5, but one family room we have at 19.

With the cold weather coming I reckon it will be pushing 70, if I was at 20c throughout I'd be pushing 100 a day

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Finally cracked yesterday. 6.30-9am 18 degrees. 4.30-8pm 18 degrees. Not excessive but it made a difference, nearly made it into December, will be interesting to see how long my energy account surplus will last.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Without wanting to sound like more of an arsehole than usual, just back from a Seaford sea swim and I sat on the beach in the sun afterwards in just budgie smugglers soaking up the sun, it was bloody glorious, and I’m someone who hates the cold and suffers from Renaulds and appalling circulation. The more you pander to “It’s bloody cold” the more you buy into it. A case by case basis obviously. I’ll chuck the heating on in February just to give the boiler a run, check it’s still working.
:)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know people who keep their thermo at 23.5 (TWENTY THREE POINT FIVE) degrees, pretty much every time I've been there, whatever the season.

It genuinely makes me feel like I'm coming down with an illness after 30 minutes or so of fake warm air. It's a house that often hosts a LOT of people as well, so it's really not needed.

Me, I'm a genuinely happy at 17-18 kinda guy.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm still tweaking the settings on my thermostat as you can vary the target temperature throughout the day. I'm gradually turning it down as it certainly seems to be calling a bit too much in the evening at the moment.

The main issue we've had during the day is the temperature in the study, which now I have the radiators balanced and TRVs set appropriately around the house, I've started to address by improving the insulation issues the room has in order to better retain the heat it is given (50mm PIR added behind a built in desk against the single skin wall the room bizarrely has at this point). We're trying to avoid getting the electric heater out of the roof.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I know people who keep their thermo at 23.5 (TWENTY THREE POINT FIVE) degrees, pretty much every time I've been there, whatever the season.

It genuinely makes me feel like I'm coming down with an illness after 30 minutes or so of fake warm air. It's a house that often hosts a LOT of people as well, so it's really not needed.

Me, I'm a genuinely happy at 17-18 kinda guy.
My 89yo mum has her heating set at 21 which is way too hot for me. 15 at home. The 2 other people at home haven't yet wanged it up.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Started putting mine on earlier this week. It's getting a bit nippy, but the main issue was the inside of my windows was covered in water.
I just checked my bills from last winter, and my largest bill was from Jan/Feb
£101 for electricity and gas combined.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here