Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have the Club (BHAFC) lost the plot??

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Yes, the club should offer anyone a refund if they just ring up and tell them they cancelled their season ticket ages ago with no proof.

That's a system that couldn't be abused at all. :shrug:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No doubt he will reply but should Paul Barber really have to clear up this mess ?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I never check my bank balance, probably once or twice a year, its not that unusual.
Had a similar thing with AA and an insurance company that carried on taking money for a year because i did not check the bank to make sure there had stopped.
Only found out because up for renewal and told them it was cancelled a year ago, but it appeared they still took the money.
Like the OP i had trust( no know it was misguided) in these organisation doing what they said they would.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I never check my bank balance, probably once or twice a year, its not that unusual.
Had a similar thing with AA and an insurance company that carried on taking money for a year because i did not check the bank to make sure there had stopped.
Only found out because up for renewal and told them it was cancelled a year ago, but it appeared they still took the money.
Like the OP i had trust( no know it was misguided) in these organisation doing what they said they would.
And as I said, it is very easy to make a small mistake or miss a cancellation request and everything else is automated. The thought that companies scan thousands or tens of thousands of transactions every month before submitting them and that one will jump out - ah, that was that bloke who cancelled and yet here we are taking his money - is fanciful at best. You should cancel your DD at the same time as you cancel your service and if there is money taken that shouldn't be, you should get your refund from the bank and leave them to get the money back from the payee.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I check my bank balance at least three times a week. You never know if your debit card has been cloned or a transaction has gone wrong unless you check regularly.
I would also cancel a DD when cancelling services. Maybe I'm unusual?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I check my bank balance at least three times a week. You never know if your debit card has been cloned or a transaction has gone wrong unless you check regularly.

Banks..companies make mistakes ..I check mine one a week ..online banking and apps on a mobile phone have made this so easy ..hey ho

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Always cancel my direct debits at the bank at the same time as contacting the company. Always thought the onus was on the customer to do that

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
It's all about security, I check my account 3/4 times a week. I have had my card cloned and notice quite quickly and got my money back just as quick. Trust doesn't come into it. Like a lot of people have said, you should also cancel DDs with the bank as well. Humans and computers make mistakes

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The club are ****ers when it comes to direct debits. I had no idea you had to let the club know you didn't want to renew. I just assumed if you didn't tell them you were renewing that would be it. Obviously that was my mistake and had I read the T&C's properly I would have known that wasn't the case. However what did piss me off is I did cancel my direct debit but the club started another on my behalf without my permission. It wasn't before I'd made 3 payments that I noticed by then it wasn't worth the hassle stopping so I ended paying for a season ticket that didn't get used once.

Even when I rang up to complain and told them I certainly didn't want to renew for the following season they told me they would take a note on their CRM system but I had to ring back 3 months before renewal to confirm.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
However what did piss me off is I did cancel my direct debit but the club started another on my behalf without my permission. It wasn't before I'd made 3 payments that I noticed by then it wasn't worth the hassle stopping so I ended paying for a season ticket that didn't get used once.

If you cancelled your DD with your bank directly there is absolutely no way the club can have started a new one without your permission.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Check my current account and credit card daily as seen far to many friends the victim of card cloning.

Twice it has nearly happened to us however each time Santander have actually rung us on the spot as they thought the transaction was suspect and they were right both times.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Why not? ???

All a company needs to set up a new direct debit are the customers bank details, (as Jeremy Clarkson found out!) - they don't need a signature or anything.

i think the assumption there was that a professional football club would only set up direct debits via ethical and legal methods. jesus ****ing christ....

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Check my current account and credit card daily as seen far to many friends the victim of card cloning.

Twice it has nearly happened to us however each time Santander have actually rung us on the spot as they thought the transaction was suspect and they were right both times.

Santander are great at this sort of stuff, both myself and my other half have been locked out of online banking and asked to phone their security team because of suspect transactions, both times they were legit transactions but as we were travelling and the card wasn't being used in a normal location it was flagged. I'd rather take a couple of mins of inconvenience to check a transaction than have the hassle of money being removed from my account. Even if one of the times we were only in the Isle of Wight.

Back on topic, the OP really should have noticed quicker that the DD hadn't stopped and got the bank to stop it. No excuse for not checking your account in this day and age, quiet easy for an innocent mistake to happen and a DD be presented twice.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We're with Barclays & have had phone calls checking transactions, both on the current account & credit card. I appreciate the security.

D

Deleted member 2719

is it a gmail account by any chance?
My wife just told me when I completed the long survey monkey I did in on my nexus tablet so yes I would have sent it by gmail but i delete these mails regularly, why ?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
i think the assumption there was that a professional football club would only set up direct debits via ethical and legal methods. jesus ****ing christ....

No - the statement was, "there is absolutely no way the club can have started a new one without your permission" - which is incorrect.

I never said the club would, simply that they could

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here