Have any of the WOODINGDEAN residents kicked off about Falmer?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
martin perry said on scr sheepcote will create 30 miles of tailbacks around brighton on a matchday. most of it down warren road to the crossroads at the downs hotel, and then up and down the falmer road. No rail link you see.
The more i read the more convinced i am Falmer is the best site.
Today at the enquiry they discussed air and noise issues, but the stadium can't contribute anything like the a27.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There was some Woodingdean woman, whose name escapes me, who used to write to the Arsegas every day complaining about the proposed Falmer stadium. She made out her life was going to be a living hell with a stadium there. The traffic, the violence, the noise, the pollution. She got on everyone's tits.

So I went round there and shot her.

D

Deleted User X18H

People in Woodingdean do not have the intellect to have an opinion on Falmer

Why would people park in Woodingdean, or even drive through it, when there's a Park & Ride at the Racecourse that can be reached much more easily via Wilson Avenue or Freshfield Road?

patcham seagulls said:
martin perry said on scr sheepcote will create 30 miles of tailbacks around brighton on a matchday. most of it down warren road to the crossroads at the downs hotel, and then up and down the falmer road. No rail link you see.
Not just there but throughout the City Centre and as far west as Hove.

david

Feb 5, 2004
London
When I lived in Patcham, I got exactly the same kind of comments from the Withdean residents who used to come to my door to petition against us returning there.
I remember one of them telling me we'd be swamped with football fans every week. When I pointed out that half the matches are played away, and that the season is only on for a little over half a year, she then claimed that all the reserve and youth team games would cause equal chaos.
I bet you exactly the same type of misinformation/lies is being peddled around Falmer, Woodingdean etc.

ps. Rather amusingly, one of the justifications they gave me for not having the Albion at Withdean was it would disrupt the park and ride, even though it was the same group of residents who knocked on people's doors a few months previous asking us to oppose the park and ride there in the first place.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Safeway said:

If the good people of Woodingdean can be alright about it, why are the Falmer lot being such utter, UTTER, c*nts?

A good question and one that I would Like Lord Bracknell to answer.

I know that the Falmer residents are likely to be conceited :censored: but it still leaves the question why did the downs lobby decide to support them?

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Let’s put things into perspective. Of course there are going to be people living in Woodingdean who oppose Falmer. There are some residents who have been here for more than 50 years and used to like the quiet little village it once was. There are others who moved here more recently but will be shit-faced about anything. Then there are some who are totally passionate about the Albion and are attempting to convince those who are opposed Falmer to change their views.
Some of the posters on this thread really ought to try and make an effort not to tar everyone with the same brush, and posting crap will certainly not help the cause.
I have not heard of any concerted effort of Woodingdeaners to oppose Falmer, but equally, there is no concentrated effort to support it. It’s bloody obvious that Sheepcote will cause massive traffic problems to Woodingdean, but I am quite certain that this will be pointed out at the enquiry.
We are not all anti-Falmer tossers in Woodingdean, and belonging to a family of three generations living here and supporting the Albion, it pisses me off when posters try to make out that we are.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
quite right wg. My parents live on the Falmer Road and have written every letter and signed every petition. As have friends of theirs.

But many people are scared of change, and many others don't want to see people enjoying themselves. You just have to push on and show them their fears are ungrounded.

There will be an increase in traffic - but the problem is not the stadium - but the fact a B road is the only route from the bypass to the coast, town side of Newhaven. Let alone those that use the Falmer Road to get to east Brighton.

Re: Re: Have any of the WOODINGDEAN residents kicked off about Falmer?

perseus said:
A good question and one that I would Like Lord Bracknell to answer.

I know that the Falmer residents are likely to be conceited :censored: but it still leaves the question why did the downs lobby decide to support them?
Falmer Parish Council are primarily opposed to a stadium at Falmer. But they don't support Sheepcote Valley

The "downs lobby" - Sussex Downs Conservation Board, Society of Sussex Downsmen, CPRE, etc - DO seem to be supporting Sheepcote Valley.

So I don't see your logic. The "downs lobby" aren't being very helpful to Falmer Parish Council. I certainly wouldn't describe them as "supporting" Falmer Parish Council, beyond the fact that they are opposing a stadium at Falmer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Re: Re: Re: Have any of the WOODINGDEAN residents kicked off about Falmer?

Lord Bracknell said:
Falmer Parish Council are primarily opposed to a stadium at Falmer. But they don't support Sheepcote Valley

The "downs lobby" - Sussex Downs Conservation Board, Society of Sussex Downsmen, CPRE, etc - DO seem to be supporting Sheepcote Valley.

So I don't see your logic. The "downs lobby" aren't being very helpful to Falmer Parish Council. I certainly wouldn't describe them as "supporting" Falmer Parish Council, beyond the fact that they are opposing a stadium at Falmer.

My impression was that Perseus asked his question badly. What I took it to mean is why does the Downs lobby support Sheepcote, given that it's on the download, there are conservational implications and it will lead to a massive increase in traffic. I would have thought that Sheepcote would have been the worst option of all to the likes of the CPRE, the Sussex Downsmen and others.

Minge

Jan 3, 2005
I used to live in Woodingdean and can't see too many fans wanting to walk up Falmer Road to the stadium during matchdays as it is very exposed to the elements and you would freeze your 'nads off.

As for W'dean being a village, that is plain stupid, its a suburb full stop. Given that crowds at Falmer are going to be in the region 0f 12-14,000 I cannot see too many taking the racecourse route to the ground, apart from people who already live in the area.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Lord Bracknell said:
Why would people park in Woodingdean, or even drive through it, when there's a Park & Ride at the Racecourse that can be reached much more easily via Wilson Avenue or Freshfield Road?

Would those who live east of Rottingdean not have to drive through Rottingdean, up the Falmer Road then through Woodingdean and over to the race hill for the Park and Ride, which would then double back on part of the way they have just come?

Or will there be a Park and Ride somewhere east of Rottingdean along the A259?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The Wookiee said:
Would those who live east of Rottingdean not have to drive through Rottingdean, up the Falmer Road then through Woodingdean and over to the race hill for the Park and Ride, which would then double back on part of the way they have just come?

Why not park at Newhaven or Seaford and get the train to Falmer? Just a thought.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Re: Re: Re: Re: Have any of the WOODINGDEAN residents kicked off about Falmer?

Gwylan said:
My impression was that Perseus asked his question badly. What I took it to mean is why does the Downs lobby support Sheepcote, given that it's on the download, there are conservational implications and it will lead to a massive increase in traffic. I would have thought that Sheepcote would have been the worst option of all to the likes of the CPRE, the Sussex Downsmen and others.

I did indeed express the question badly?

Better would have been, why did the downs lobby (Sussex Downs Conservation Board and Downsmen) oppose Falmer?

This is historically relevant inasmuch, the Planning Permission might not have been called in for a Public Inquiry if they had not objected, because Lewes DC would have been unlikely to have done either.

Speculation and some definites (after multiple sourced research):

The Sussex Downs Conservation Board always object to any building in an AONB. (This is speculation, but they usually object.)

The Sussex Downs Conservation Board objected on transport grounds as well (this is known as definite for Falmer). Presumably their concern can only be vehicles through the AONB?

The only point is that the Sussex Downs Conservation Board is actually made of people, and it was the leading lights in this organisation that seem to be mostly responsible for the fuss over Falmer.

They are not elected and they spend taxpayer's money.

The Wookiee said:

The point I was trying to make was that the shortest (and quickest) way to get to the racecourse from Peacehaven is up Wilson Avenue, not through the streets of Rottingdean Village and then up to Woodingdean.

The option of driving to Falmer will be expensive, since car parking at Falmer (Sussex University) will only be available at the price of three travel vouchers and a lot of cash. Parking at the racecourse will be free and there won't be a requirement for cars to have at least three ticket holders.

On street parking near the ground will be completely banned.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
The point I was trying to make was that the shortest (and quickest) way to get to the racecourse from Peacehaven is up Wilson Avenue, not through the streets of Rottingdean Village and then up to Woodingdean.

Are you sure? I don't think there's much difference. We always go via Woodingdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports