[Albion] Has to be done - Potter In or Out?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potter in or out

• Total voters

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You are not Frankie Boyle kind of funny, you are at best Wealdstone Raider kind of funny.

For the hard of reading, I wrote 'like' not 'am'. :ffsparr:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
In without a single second of hesitation. Will be the same answer even if we lose to Fulham and/or Sheff Utd

Fortunately we don’t have a chairman or board that will panic and so he is safe.
If we lose to both I can guarantee a board meeting will take place, there are millions of pounds at stake unlike the championship. Interestingly when TB fired CH he stated our PL status was seriously under threat same situation if we lose both these games. The club are a reasonably large employer many people’s livelihoods depend on the clubs PL status not something to be taken lightly.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I think a lot of people underestimate the size of the job he had from day one:

- lost our captain Bruno
- had to replace our leading, ageing goal scorer
- tasked with completely changing our style of play
- asked to form a proper pathway from the U23’s
- squad he inherited had many players on the wrong side of 30 and a drinking culture
- restricted by a low wage budget at this level
- first job at this level
- understandably given very little money in 2020
- on a personal note, lost both parents in a year

You could add fan expectations too. Phenomenally tough circumstances. I think he’s done pretty damn well considering all of that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

- lost our captain Bruno
- squad he inherited had many players on the wrong side of 30 and a drinking culture

You could add fan expectations too. Phenomenally tough circumstances. I think he’s done pretty damn well considering all of that.
Yeah but why aren't we beating third placed Leicester, away from home, 72 hours before the first of back to back potentially season defining games?

Last edited:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I have absolute faith in his ability as a coach to improve and develop players. I also think Potter is a competent tactician. What I saw too often against Leicester is risk-averse decision making from the players. We are over-working the ball and we need a Lamptey, Lallana or Bissouma to spark those around them by beating the opposition and breaking the press or beating a man. On Sunday it was far too passive and the decision making was poor which is usually the case with a lack of confidence.

I want to see more intent against Fulham. I want our confident players all playing, Bissouma, Lallana, Connolly, Lamptey and I want to see them step up and drive those around them. The next two games are as good an opportunity as you can get to turn it around. I hope we will.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
More chance of Widdicombe going ahead. Yes, it mattered not as I didn’t even realise for a while and was only because GB got all righteous and failed to see the humour/TIC despite the 2nd post clarifying it was in jest. Still, lots of professionally offended around these days so a reminder free speech ain’t what it once was eh? Some of us like Frankie Boyle. Some of us Mrs Browns Boys. And I was told on good authority GB has last of the summer wine on box set...

Let's be clear.

I did not get all righteous. You wrote one of the most reported posts this year, you broke the board rules and you also had another MASSIVE meltdown on the Dan Burn / Homophobia thread that was close to getting you binned off as well.

Swanny is right, you're not Frankie Boyle, you're a pound shop, pub bore Jeremy Clarkson looking to get offended because a board you cannot avoid doesn't stick religiously to football.

People were even concerned for your wellbeing.

As with any ban the mods all agreed on the action between us. I just did the admin.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yeah but why aren't we beating third placed Leicester, away from home, 72 hours before the first of back to back potentially season defining games?
You keep bleating that line we didn’t even give them a game, Ryan would of let that weak shot in against Wycombe, Welbeck would of still missed that sitter against Wycombe playing Leicester had nothing to do with it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not at all impressed by Potter's comments at the Fulham press conference, as reported in the Argus

"We could win or Fulham could win, but if you don’t win, it doesn’t really matter. Your season is defined by how many points you have got at the end of it, that’s the aim. The media narrative is that it’s a big game and a ‘six-pointer’ and all that other stuff, which clearly for both teams it’s better if you win – I am sure Scott (Parker) would say the same thing. I am sure Scott would rather win the game as it’s the next game that they play. But he will know that if they go and lose the next ten, it won’t have that much significance. So our job is to focus on the next match, every game we play we know that the opposition are fighting for points, they are capable of getting the points, so we have to fight ourselves and accept the challenge."

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18943256.graham-potter-press-conference-fulham-v-albion/

Can just imagine his half-time team talks: 'Hey chillax guys. Don't worry about it. We've got all season to get the points. And I've got loads of seasons left on my contract'

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

- lost our captain Bruno

Yes, great post. He's exceeded realistic expectations IMO and put us in a really good place to progress.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You keep bleating that line we didn’t even give them a game, Ryan would of let that weak shot in against Wycombe, Welbeck would of still missed that sitter against Wycombe playing Leicester had nothing to do with it.
Odd, I was under the impression the opposition played an active role in football matches.

In future I'll keep more of an eye out for the pretend league.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Not at all impressed by Potter's comments at the Fulham press conference, as reported in the Argus

"We could win or Fulham could win, but if you don’t win, it doesn’t really matter. Your season is defined by how many points you have got at the end of it, that’s the aim. The media narrative is that it’s a big game and a ‘six-pointer’ and all that other stuff, which clearly for both teams it’s better if you win – I am sure Scott (Parker) would say the same thing. I am sure Scott would rather win the game as it’s the next game that they play. But he will know that if they go and lose the next ten, it won’t have that much significance. So our job is to focus on the next match, every game we play we know that the opposition are fighting for points, they are capable of getting the points, so we have to fight ourselves and accept the challenge."

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18943256.graham-potter-press-conference-fulham-v-albion/

Can just imagine his half-time team talks: 'Hey chillax guys. Don't worry about it. We've got all season to get the points. And I've got loads of seasons left on my contract'

Watch the interview and get the whole context for the quote. There were questions asking if the next game was more important because it was Fulham, just below us in the table, His answer was longer than pasted above and essentially repeated the narrative we are all used to.. "No, its important because its the next game". "the season will not be defined by the next result" "If we win we are not safe, if we lose we are not relegated."

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Seems a very sensible answer. Why put unnecessary pressure on us going in to the match by making out it's a must win game when it isn't? Then if we do lose the narrative would then be what a total disaster it is and that we're going down when that is absolutely miles away from the truth with 25 games still to play.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Watch the interview and get the whole context for the quote. There were questions asking if the next game was more important because it was Fulham, just below us in the table, His answer was longer than pasted above and essentially repeated the narrative we are all used to.. "No, its important because its the next game". "the season will not be defined by the next result" "If we win we are not safe, if we lose we are not relegated."

That's fair enough. But it's also fair to be fairly alarmed when you get quotes like:

"We could win or Fulham could win, but if you don’t win, it doesn’t really matter."

or

"I am sure Scott (Parker) would say the same thing. I am sure Scott would rather win the game as it’s the next game that they play. But he will know that if they go and lose the next ten, it won’t have that much significance"

then that starts to smack of a very dangerous level of complacency IMHO, context or no context

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
All of this back and forth, whist entertaining enough has no real merit. Potter will be here long term unless he decides to leave. Strap in folks.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's fair enough. But it's also fair to be fairly alarmed when you get quotes like:

"We could win or Fulham could win, but if you don’t win, it doesn’t really matter."

or

"I am sure Scott (Parker) would say the same thing. I am sure Scott would rather win the game as it’s the next game that they play. But he will know that if they go and lose the next ten, it won’t have that much significance"

then that starts to smack of a very dangerous level of complacency IMHO, context or no context

No it doesn’t, it’s a physiological approach you don’t agree with. The players I’ll know how big the next games are, the manager publicly is trying to protect them - it is just another game, with the same points available as any other game. Why publicly does he need to put more pressure on the players for this game? It’s not complacent just because in a press conference he isn’t saying what you want to hear, he’s saying what the players probably want to hear.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No it doesn’t, it’s a physiological approach you don’t agree with. The players I’ll know how big the next games are, the manager publicly is trying to protect them - it is just another game, with the same points available as any other game. Why publicly does he need to put more pressure on the players for this game? It’s not complacent just because in a press conference he isn’t saying what you want to hear, he’s saying what the players probably want to hear.

So the players want to hear that it doesn't matter if we lose to Fulham Or that if we lose the next ten it won't have much significance. Ah, OK, think I've got what you're saying now :thumbsup:

:wozza:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Pin that to the dressing room door.

:shootself

Come on Albion! Let's tear them a new one!!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So the players want to hear that it doesn't matter if we lose to Fulham Or that if we lose the next ten it won't have much significance. Ah, OK, think I've got what you're saying now :thumbsup:

:wozza:

Yeah probably. I’m sure Brian Clough was the same before their big European games, he’d try to keep everything light, and that the games were no different to the next. George Graham wouldn’t even let his Arsenal players have new suits for an FA Cup final - to just treat it as any other game.

I’m sure you know more with your thud emoji though. :lolol:

Anyway I’ve watched it now, I really don’t see an issue with what he’s said:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports