Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has to be done - Potter In or Out?

Potter in or out

• Total voters

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When you call other people rude, its just proof of your astounding lack of self-awareness.

Poor lamb. We had a spat weeks ago and you can’t move on. But before you get too far up your own backside, I recall you give as good as you get so pipe down Herr Hypocrite. Plenty on here I enjoy reading and opinions I respect, have done for years, since before you were born in fact, although increasingly likes of you and a handful of others make it less so because of your constant need to vomit your every thought onto NSC, day and night.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Poor lamb. We had a spat weeks ago and you can’t move on. But before you get too far up your own backside, I recall you give as good as you get so pipe down Herr Hypocrite. Plenty on here I enjoy reading and opinions I respect, have done for years, since before you were born in fact, although increasingly likes of you and a handful of others make it less so because of your constant need to vomit your every thought onto NSC, day and night.

:smile:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In without a single second of hesitation. Will be the same answer even if we lose to Fulham and/or Sheff Utd

Fortunately we don’t have a chairman or board that will panic and so he is safe.

Hang on, even IF we lose to both Fulham and Sheff U? It wouldn’t be panic to make a decision to sack Potter if that happened surely? Many would say call such a decision as affirmative action? Or are you one of those types who needs to see the ship firmly settled on the seabed before you’ll call it as sunk? :) I’m sure if we lose to both Fulham and Sheff U, there won’t be just a few people calling for Potters head - there’ll be a queue for the job of severing it! I also wouldn’t be so confident about TB not ‘panicking’ as you put it. He will protect his investment (PL status) no matter what, and if he believes he can find someone else to do that better, I’m very sure he won’t hesitate to act. Be rather naive on anyone’s part to believe otherwise. £100m demands he does. Every club works on that basis, big question I suppose is the ‘if’

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I see you've been released from the NSC sin bin :whistle:
Was going to go to the Waddesdon Christmas Fair on Wednesday, but London is going into Teir 3 on Weds morning :angry:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I see you've been released from the NSC sin bin :whistle:
Was going to go to the Waddesdon Christmas Fair on Wednesday, but London is going into Teir 3 on Weds morning :angry:

More chance of Widdicombe going ahead. Yes, it mattered not as I didn’t even realise for a while and was only because GB got all righteous and failed to see the humour/TIC despite the 2nd post clarifying it was in jest. Still, lots of professionally offended around these days so a reminder free speech ain’t what it once was eh? Some of us like Frankie Boyle. Some of us Mrs Browns Boys. And I was told on good authority GB has last of the summer wine on box set...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
More chance of Widdicombe going ahead. Yes, it mattered not as I didn’t even realise for a while and was only because GB got all righteous and failed to see the humour/TIC despite the 2nd post clarifying it was in jest. Still, lots of professionally offended around these days so a reminder free speech ain’t what it once was eh? Some of us like Frankie Boyle. Some of us Mrs Browns Boys. And I was told on good authority GB has last of the summer wine on box set...

Please don't mention Mrs Brown's Boys, it makes my eyes and ears bleed :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think we are at a similar point now as we were in the last days of CH, going to be a bit of a see-saw for a while but can only see it going one way unless we pick up serious points in the next few matches.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

You are not Frankie Boyle kind of funny, you are at best Wealdstone Raider kind of funny.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Some people here should know better: A1X, AIT76, Albion Dan, Albion_Dave, Barnham Seagull, Billy the Fish, Biscuit Barrel, blockhseagull, Brian Fantana, BRIGHT ON Q, Brighton4Cambridge3, Clive Walker, clockend1983, elwheelio, essbee1, Ethelwulf, ExmouthExile, fleet, flint, forumwayseagull, Fred Oliver - Legend, Hamilton, John Byrnes Mullet, junior, KeithDublin, Lenny Rider, Man of Harveys, milliepops, moggy, Monsieur Le Plonk, neilbard, nordicgod, Offside Oz, oldboyroy, One Love, oxymoron, PILTDOWN MAN, Pure magic!, Saunders, Scunner, seagull 1979, seagull77, SI 4 BHA, Solid at the back, southstandandy, Statto, Sulcy, Superphil, Supersub, SWINDON SEAGULL, Taxi, The Albion, The Merry Prankster, thedonkeycentrehalf, This is me, Tirrell, TottonSeagull, TSB, Turkeydove, Uncle Spielberg, Voroshilov, warmleyseagull, wehatepalace, whosthedaddy, wigman, wilf tranter, Zebedee

I've seen about 15 managers come and go, I can't get attached to them anymore, they're always temporary. The best manager ever is only a run of bad form away from getting sacked.

IMHO Potter has lost his mojo with this group of players and I can't see how he'll get it back. Sometimes it's better to stop the rot early. I'm convinced this group of players is better than 17th, someone with a clear plan will get a tune out of this squad. I'm fed up with all the tinkering, it's canceling out all GP's good work art the beginning of his tenure

PaoloAlbioni

May 6, 2016
IN. By a long chalk. Most attractive football we’ve seen in many years. Hang in there, results will come. Would much rather we played with intent rather than the dull sideways and backwards-style play that had begun to bore the Amex faithful.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Sometimes you can be a wee bit rude to some people but I don't think you mean to be . Some of what you say can be dead funny sometimes ''Herr Hypocrite'' I found absolutely hilarious - :laugh:

Some people here should know better: A1X, AIT76, Albion Dan, Albion_Dave, Barnham Seagull, Billy the Fish, Biscuit Barrel, blockhseagull, Brian Fantana, BRIGHT ON Q, Brighton4Cambridge3, Clive Walker, clockend1983, elwheelio, essbee1, Ethelwulf, ExmouthExile, fleet, flint, forumwayseagull, Fred Oliver - Legend, Hamilton, John Byrnes Mullet, junior, KeithDublin, Lenny Rider, Man of Harveys, milliepops, moggy, Monsieur Le Plonk, neilbard, nordicgod, Offside Oz, oldboyroy, One Love, oxymoron, PILTDOWN MAN, Pure magic!, Saunders, Scunner, seagull 1979, seagull77, SI 4 BHA, Solid at the back, southstandandy, Statto, Sulcy, Superphil, Supersub, SWINDON SEAGULL, Taxi, The Albion, The Merry Prankster, thedonkeycentrehalf, This is me, Tirrell, TottonSeagull, TSB, Turkeydove, Uncle Spielberg, Voroshilov, warmleyseagull, wehatepalace, whosthedaddy, wigman, wilf tranter, Zebedee

I know it’s a public poll but this post has massive grass energy

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Who is this saviour to come in and get us winning?

Indeed. There is no obvious candidate. All the former saviours of clubs in distress - Allardyce, Pulis, Warnock - are discredited and/or trying to get teams back into PL. I don't pretend to have a solution; tempting to say no coach is better than the wrong one, but someone has to pick the team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The usual chunter on the Football Weekly podcast.
'Nowhere near as bad as the table suggests'.
'How did they lose that'. (generally not v Leics)
'If Vardy had swapped teams Brighton and Leicester would swap places' (we can but dream).

That said there was the first grumblings of descent re recruitment.
Suggesting the team has moved too far away from its core and doesn't quite have the right tools in the toolbox.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

Oh no, that’s terrible you’ve copied the list from a public poll !
One thing that can’t be denied is that under Potter we haven’t progressed, we are still in the same position, flirting with a relegation dogfight.
Yes the football is more attractive but ultimately it’s results that count, and currently we are not getting any !
Nothing would please me more than Potter turning it around and stringing a run of points together and ending up mid table, but on current form I’m not sure that’s going to happen.
A few must win games coming up, and hopefully it’ll look a little less worrying after those.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The Burn massacre was a complete mistake from the manager , my 9 year old grandson asked why we didn't have anyone playing at the back , the only logical answer I had was there was a keep off the grass sign that Dan took way too seriously.

Basic mistakes like that are indefensible at any level of the game and surprised me quite a bit because of Potters tag as a thinking mans manager .

If Lamptey/Llanna/Alzate are all now 100% fit then they should all start on Wednesday, it's our biggest game of the season by far and we simply must get some sort of result from it .

The Liecster performance was flat , unimaginative from the players and tactically naive from the manager , it's Potter in for me but a few more games like the Liecster one and I would start to question my own judgement.

D

Deleted member 2719

Long term lurker me - fence

I completely agreed with the sacking of Hughton, the football was atrocious and there were no clear cut vision under Hughton. An incredible man, did massive things for the club but as a man who's worked in football long enough to know, sackings are part and parcel of the job when the results aren't good enough. We stayed up because there were 3 worse teams than us.

I have been a sceptic of Potter from day one but found that under Potter the identity was pretty clear and the progress in terms of an identity has been ten fold under Hughton. However, the statistics are horrific. Using http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots as the source we can see our attacking impotence:

We are 7th in the league for total shots on goal, but 15th for shots on target and 13th for number of goals scored. To put this into perspective using a couple of metrics (obviously, this is after 12 games and can be interpreted in multiple ways but help explain our problems.

We require 9.8 shots for a goal (Simply Total Shots / Goals Scored) - this ranks us 12th overall, given we all know how quite a lot of our shots are aimed at the keeper, just a slight tweak to the shooting boots and we could be scoring more. We also require 2.8 shots on target in order to score a goal (Total Shots on Target / Goals Scored) - this ranks us 9th in the league. (sources again: http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots - you can export it into excel). Attacking wise, I often see "we need to be more clinical", "goals is our problem" - the stats disagree and whilst we could always improve on these stats. Our attacking threat is not the problem.

Using the same source and same metrics but AGAINST us, it paints a bleaker picture and unfortunately - Ryan's got a lot to answer for.

For total shots conceded for opposition to score a goal, we are the worst. The opposition in general only needs 4.90 total shots to score a goal against us and even bleaker; they only need 1.76 shots on target to score a goal - this was epitomised by Ryan's absolute howler last night for Leicester's first.

HOWEVER, for the sake of objectivity and those who fancy putting a bet on Leicester winning the league.

Using the same metrics above (Total Shots to score, Total On Target to score (For/Against)), they are 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd respectively... so a tenner on Leicester for a top 4 finish might be worth a punt. Nonetheless, that's what the kind of opposition we faced against last night.

For Fulham they are currently:

17, 17,18, 8

For Sheffield United:

20, 20, 9, 7

We're dead bang on for a draw against both....

Sorry don't believe your a lurker, post is too comprehensive.

You are DR No's second account aren't you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here