Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has to be done - Potter In or Out?

Potter in or out

• Total voters

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
True, but psychologically, the manager needs the fans behind the players, team, himself etc . . . . If he doesn't express himself in a manner people can understand, or at all, how does he expect to keep them onside? OR, does he not consider that? ( I doubt it, but his previous comments do beg the question) . . . He does come accross as somewhat aloof in that respect, IF that is the case one could argue it's a bit arrogant. IF the fans turn on him en mass sooner rather than later he's effectively signed his own death warrant.

There is collateral for him to have "The Fans" behind him, but I think he also knows that the best way for him to win that is on the pitch. I think his calmness (aloofness/passionless/thoughtful/boring - delete as appropriate) interviews are part of the set of behaviours, messaging, reinforcement of the mantra within the Club. "We will focus on the things within our control, not get too high, not get too low, learn from mistakes, learn from the experience" are all powerful, thoughtful messages if everyone signs up for them. He cannot, nor will he, not be the role-model for those things. Players/coaches being in a position to improve and learn from mistakes or poor performance need to take ownership of them - be accountable and trust that you will be supported to improve. be open and not defensive with your team mates, give and receive feedback. Blame on the other hand can be incredibly destructive, devisive and detrimental. If GP steps away from that value, he cannot hold anyone else to it. Fans opinions (Which are ultimately fickle) on these matters will not take priority.
It wouldn't surprise me if the players and coaches created a joint set of behaviours and values on how they want to handle things. They all use the language, "we" they all look for positives but accept when we are not good enough. GP will have signed up for it - he will stick to it.
I know some may highlight Fergie/Mourhino who have taken a different tack from time to time. But I would counter that they are also vey specific about what they did/do. They may feel they need to break a team up, move out those who are not willing to sign up, favour those who are doing what they are asked etc.. place greater value in the wider dressing room. GP may well have done those moves by moving personnel out. Now it is about keeping belief in the process.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Definitely In
There is a correlation between emotionality and rationality. Maybe Potters lack of public displays of high emotionality means that he maybe a rational thinker.
A club's philosophy is not changed overnight, Alex Ferguson took ten years. A replacement manager is not going to produce the silk purse that supporters crave.
Producing good youth players and getting the best out of what we have is maybe all we have, unless we spend huge in the transfer market and on player wages.

Just over a year ago, Southampton lost 0-9 to Leicester.

Today, with the same manager, they are one point behind Leicester in the top 4.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Out, just don’t think he’s up to it.

Doesn’t seem to be able to set us up differently for different opposition and don’t think he will change his spots so think the project needs to be ended.

I hope to be proved wrong.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I posted similar on a couple of other threads. The tinkering is a problem IMHO. So many players are in and out, it's no wonder when they lose form or confidence.

It's hokey cokey team selection.

Is it though if you take injury and suspension out of it?

8 players have played in 10 or more of our 12 league fixtures.
6 players have played in 7 or more of our 12 league fixtures.

We have a core of 14 players who have made regular league starts. Only 18 different players from our squad have started a game.

We've had 3 red cards, so at least 5 games lost to suspension for 3 players. Plus injuries.

I think it's probably on par with most teams after 12 games.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Doesn’t seem to be able to set us up differently for different opposition and don’t think he will change his spots so think the project needs to be ended.

I'm not saying it worked, but how was last night's setup not different to the game before? I mean it was a pretty significant change from a 3 to a 4 at the back for starters.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I find it uplifting that even though we are sliding backwards only 17% want him out and quite a few of those on the poll have not been Potter fans since day one :thumbsup: (the upside of a public poll)

To quote MA - Keep The Faith

I accept that there will be a massive swing if we lose the next two. I hope I don’t jump on the bandwagon

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just over a year ago, Southampton lost 0-9 to Leicester.

Today, with the same manager, they are one point behind Leicester in the top 4.

2 highlights from last night commentary

02:56 "The former Leeds loanee, Ben White"

&

46:01 "The last time Leicester were 3-0 up at half time they went on to win 9-0".

I'll admit to a bit of a knee wobble then!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
2 highlights from last night commentary

02:56 "The former Leeds loanee, Ben White"

&

46:01 "The last time Leicester were 3-0 up at half time they went on to win 9-0".

I'll admit to a bit of a knee wobble then!

Confess I did see the potential for another 9-0 after the third went in

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Confess I did see the potential for another 9-0 after the third went in

It would have guaranteed Premier League football next season, had it have done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and you thought NSC was bad post match, can you imagine?

That would have been funny, some of the melts would be just puddles by now.

As alluded to a proper thrashing might just have been what is needed.
The team can shake off a 0-3 defeat against Madison Vardy and co.
Chalk it up as just one of those things, then carry on as 'normal',

A complete and utter shellacking ought to have definitely woken them up from the current malaise at either end of the pitch.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I am not sure he is the one to blame for that

He won't get sacked and won't get relegated because overall there are at least 3 teams who are worse. Won't stay up by much but stay up they will. The philosophy will be the same in the way that the team plays and team selections will constantly be a surprise because there is an Agenda to ensure that certain players play and that there is always at least one player coming through from the Youth team in the starting line up. That was his ''remit'' and his ''overseer'' is ensuring that happens.

People's opinions will be different I think after the next 2 games because I think there will be at least one win in these next 2 matches; however, once these threads start they take on a life of their own and begin to snowball. Just look at the big swing from the last Poll and there is a marked shift from that one.

I think he is doing OK with what he has at his disposal. The recruitment team are a bit hit and miss but then so is every Recruitment Team at every Club - Needs to pick his best players and stop persisting with Connolly and White just because they came through the ranks.

With White he has to just say to himself. ''Is he better than Veltman, Burn and Webster'' ? If so then play him at Centre Back alongside the other best Central Defender(s) - If he isn't then don't play him. Leave him on the Bench. That Big Bid from Leeds United in the Summer has forced Ashworth's hand to ensure he plays at all cost. The best Defenders need to play and he has to give no regard to anything else.

I would have took the money for White in the Summer. Either that or sold one of the other Central Defenders because they are trying to appease too many Central Defenders by giving them all some ''game time'' when in fact Central Defence needs to be the most consistent of Partnership(s) out of any other position in the team.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

He won't get sacked and won't get relegated because overall there are at least 3 teams who are worse. Won't stay up by much but stay up they will. The philosophy will be the same in the way that the team plays and team selections will constantly be a surprise because there is an Agenda to ensure that certain players play and that there is always at least one player coming through from the Youth team in the starting line up. That was his ''remit'' and his ''overseer'' is ensuring that happens.

People's opinions will be different I think after the next 2 games because I think there will be at least one win in these next 2 matches; however, once these threads start they take on a life of their own and begin to snowball. Just look at the big swing from the last Poll and there is a marked shift from that one.

I think he is doing OK with what he has at his disposal. The recruitment team area bit hit and miss but then so is every Recruitment Team at every Club - Needs to pick his best players and stop persisting with Connolly and White just because they came through the ranks.

With White he has to just say to himself. ''Is he better than Veltman, Burn and Webster. If so then play him at Centre Back alongside the other best Central Defender(s) - If he isn't then don't play him. Leave him on the Bench. That Big Bid from Leeds United in the Summer has forced Ashworth's hand to ensure he plays at all cost. The best Defenders need to play and he has to give no regard to anything else.

I would have took the money for White in the Summer. Either that or sold one of the other Central Defenders because they are trying to appease to many Central Defenders by giving them all some ''game time'' when in fact Central Defence needs to be the most consistent of Partnership(s) out of any other position in the team.
The recruitment team has identified some real talent unfortunately we never pay the asking price or close to. It must be incredibly frustrating for all involved.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I think he is doing OK with what he has at his disposal. The recruitment team area bit hit and miss but then so is every Recruitment Team at every Club - Needs to pick his best players and stop persisting with Connolly and White just because they came through the ranks.

With White he has to just say to himself. ''Is he better than Veltman, Burn and Webster'' ? If so then play him at Centre Back alongside the other best Central Defender(s) - If he isn't then don't play him. Leave him on the Bench. That Big Bid from Leeds United in the Summer has forced Ashworth's hand to ensure he plays at all cost. The best Defenders need to play and he has to give no regard to anything else.

I would have took the money for White in the Summer. Either that or sold one of the other Central Defenders because they are trying to appease too many Central Defenders by giving them all some ''game time'' when in fact Central Defence needs to be the most consistent of Partnership(s) out of any other position in the team.
Had the club taken the Leeds money and his defensive skills blocked as many goal bound shots for them as he has for the Albion, they'd be riding high (on the back of Bamford's goals!!) and that deal would look like the worst in recent history.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Players/coaches being in a position to improve and learn from mistakes or poor performance need to take ownership of them - be accountable and trust that you will be supported to improve. be open and not defensive with your team mates, give and receive feedback

This seems to be a major part of the problem - I see no evidence (over the last year) that we are improving by learning from our mistakes and 'taking the positives' as GP keeps pledging in post-match interviews.

We've got some new, arguably 'better' players, than last season, but overall, the team's performances and results on the pitch rarely reflect that. Like last season, we boss possession in many games, but are toothless or terrified when in sight of the goal; attacks keep fizzling out, and Maupay especially seems a shadow of his former self. Meanwhile, Connolly and Trossard - who were exciting last season - now seem like 'ones for the future' rather than reliable goal-scorers for the here-and-now.

And we seem more fragile defensively, too.

I really can't see where, or how, things are going to improve; how or why our 'luck' will start changing, or why our forwards will suddenly start scoring when they've spurned so many chances so far.

I'm trying to keep the faith, but just cannot see any real sign or evidence that things will improve in the next few weeks and months based on performances, results, and Potter's apparent managerial and motivational limitations, so far.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Had the club taken the Leeds money and his defensive skills blocked as many goal bound shots for them as he has for the Albion, they'd be riding high (on the back of Bamford's goals!!) and that deal would look like the worst in recent history.

I did give an either / or proposal in my post though

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I did give an either / or proposal in my post though

But Webster and Dunk weren't going to be sold, while Burn doesn't really have 'value'.

So realistically the either/or is either sell White or don't buy Veltman.
ATM neither option seems too palatable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here