• Fence

Votes: 70 61.9%
  • Job stuffed up

Votes: 40 35.4%

• Total voters

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
At no point has B.W said anything of the sort. What he is unfortunately having to repeat, much like myself, is that we are in the same boat as last year, probably worse off in fact. This time last year we still had Buckley and Ulloa, but they got sold ad neither have been replaced, not even close. I find it baffling that people can't, or perhaps won't acknowledge the parallels between last summer and this summer regarding transfers. We are doing exactly the same thing, sniffing around but running scared when the selling club want a fee or the player wants a wage. We completely understand why the club is trying to be frugal, but that doesn't stop a fan feeling disappointment by, what is up to until now, an undeniably poor window.

Last comment on this, how do you know any of this? Are you involved in negotiations because you seem pretty sure of yourself? Or are you just making up stuff to fit your argument. If Blackburn want £10 million for Marshall should we pay that to pacify fans even though he's not worth anywhere near that?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
At present the squad looks undercooked IMO.

Looking at other teams in this division, only Derby and Middlesbrough have made decent purchases to date, though if Fulham trouser £18 million for one of their kids from City they will be able to sign whoever they want.

There's a lot of cat and mouse out there, last summer we had four deals lined up (Ward, Clayton, Upson and Murray) which fell through for a variety of reasons, and we were mediocre as a result.

So at present my Albion Mojo-O-Meter is at 5/10.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Last comment on this, how do you know any of this? Are you involved in negotiations because you seem pretty sure of yourself? Or are you just making up stuff to fit your argument. If Blackburn want £10 million for Marshall should we pay that to pacify fans even though he's not worth anywhere near that?

Laughable response.
I've never claimed to have any inside knowledge of the clubs transfer dealings, I do however know that I feel underwhelmed by the current transfer activity. I'll repeat myself again for you, but it might be boring as you just read it in the last post...
We completely understand why the club is trying to be frugal, but that doesn't stop a fan feeling disappointment.
There you go, that should cover why we
A) understand the club don't want over spend.
B)Don't WANT the club held to ransom for players.
If you look through some of today's posts you'll see a mention that O'Grady and Baldock are clearing 30k a week between them, they haven't really represented value for money have they? The same poster also notes that Murray was willing to return but wanted more than they were earning, I understand the club taking a stance against such demands but sometimes it's got to be worth paying a little more for a superior player.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You keep saying B but where have I said I don't understand it. What are you on about? Of course it takes into account income. It would be a bizarre system if it didn't. I really don't get your point. As for being one of Bloom's biggest fans, you don't seem to trust him and the team he has appointed to run the club to do it, do you? It's almost like you think we're not trying to sign players, which is obviously not true.

As for the arrogance, you're just making crap up. I've said elsewhere (and it's pretty obvious), that it's the signings we made, not when we made them that's the issue. Better players will take longer to make decisions as there'll have more offers (unless you pay them far too much).

Anyway, this argument is pointless. It doesn't achieve anything (which was my point all last summer and has been this summer). It's not going to improve the situation moaning all summer so I don't see the point and I'm going to log off now.

Re (b) - my point is that if we don't invest sufficiently and wisely in the team / squad, we will lose more games than we win, we will therefore be at the wrong end of the table, which will mean even less bums on seats, which obviously means less income. If you don't understand this point (and, by your own admission, you don't), then you are missing a key point. The jury is currently out on the new recruitment team / approach, and rightly so. This window is crucial to our club and the early signs were good, but unless they bring in at least 2 more forwards quickly, I would say they have not met expectations. Oh, and I have not said we are not trying to sign players.

Getting players in early is also important. You don't have to just take my word for it, just read Barber and Hughton's recent public comments.

Run away! Run away!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Looking at other teams in this division, only Derby and Middlesbrough have made decent purchases to date, though if Fulham trouser £18 million for one of their kids from City they will be able to sign whoever they want.

There's a lot of cat and mouse out there, last summer we had four deals lined up (Ward, Clayton, Upson and Murray) which fell through for a variety of reasons, and we were mediocre as a result.

Oh how different last season could have been if the club had pushed hard enough. To get none from that list is alarming

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Have this again :mad:
Those 4 players would make an unquantifiable difference to our team, the sad thing is fast forward 12 months and we still need 3 of those 4 positions. Had we have signed them the season would have been so different, fingers crossed the club are still looking for players of equal quality.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
This is precisely the approach that cost us dearly last summer, obviously it's ideal to get players early but last year we waited and ended up with trash. The longer we leave it the more desperate we get, this leaves us vulnerable to excessive demands for below par players.

Let's just be clear here.
Gus during his last season signed 4 players in August Cofts, Orlandi, Lopez and Dobbie and then in January of that season he got Ulloa. Where did we finish that season? With the exception of Dobbie the rest contributed to us finishing in the play offs. Just to remind you, all these players came in during August, yet we managed a play off place. You seem to pick the seasons that suit your argument. Well if Gus can get players in in August and reach play offs, it's not impossible is it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have this again :mad:
Those 4 players would make an unquantifiable difference to our team, the sad thing is fast forward 12 months and we still need 3 of those 4 positions. Had we have signed them the season would have been so different, fingers crossed the club are still looking for players of equal quality.

To be fair Dunk came through reasonably well last season and we dodged a bullet with Upson as he was crocked all season.

I'm hoping that Kayal IS the midfield player that Clayton could have been.

What worries me is that some players (Greer, Kaz) went backwards last season, and their contribution next season doesn't bode well unless there's a major return to form.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's mad isn't it. Put those 4 guys into our side and things look a lot brighter.

COG and Baldock instead of Murray, could we not have just paid Murray 30k and forgotten about Baldock and COG?

We ended up not bothering to cover for Upson and Clayton ( until January with Kayal)

Ward replaced by an attacking full back who was a useless defender.

What a COCK UP

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Let's just be clear here.
Gus during his last season signed 4 players in August Cofts, Orlandi, Lopez and Dobbie and then in January of that season he got Ulloa. Where did we finish that season? With the exception of Dobbie the rest contributed to us finishing in the play offs. Just to remind you, all these players came in during August, yet we managed a play off place. You seem to pick the seasons that suit your argument. Well if Gus can get players in in August and reach play offs, it's not impossible is it.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm suggesting it looks unlikely. At that time we were on the crest of a wave, we had our 'footballing identity', we had players like Bridge, Kusczcack, Buckley, Bridcutt, Vicente, we had a very promising manager and looked like we were destined for the Premier League, players WANTED to come to the Albion. Fast forward 2 seasons and we've now discovered a nice stadium and flash training facility isn't enough to attract players, they all want the money, if we're not prepared to pay it then so be it, that can't stop me hoping for better players. Again, I'm not saying we can't sign top players, I just feel it's unlikely.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm suggesting it looks unlikely. At that time we were on the crest of a wave, we had our 'footballing identity', we had players like Bridge, Kusczcack, Buckley, Bridcutt, Vicente, we had a very promising manager and looked like we were destined for the Premier League, players WANTED to come to the Albion. Fast forward 2 seasons and we've now discovered a nice stadium and flash training facility isn't enough to attract players, they all want the money, if we're not prepared to pay it then so be it, that can't stop me hoping for better players. Again, I'm not saying we can't sign top players, I just feel it's unlikely.

I was going to type that, thanks for saving me the bother.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Not done enough with the income the club is bringing in.

If Paul Barber and Tony Bloom think this is enough investment to entice myself, and other 1901 club members to sign up for another few years and part with, what will probably be the best part of over £100 per month, then they'd better go away and have another think about it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
To be fair Dunk came through reasonably well last season and we dodged a bullet with Upson as he was crocked all season.

I'm hoping that Kayal IS the midfield player that Clayton could have been.

What worries me is that some players (Greer, Kaz) went backwards last season, and their contribution next season doesn't bode well unless there's a major return to form.

I think we'll do well to utilise Kayal further forward, the guy is a very talented footballer. I'd still very much like to see a striker, two wingers and perhaps another centre back.
I agree about Kaz and Greer, GG looked like an old man at times and KLL looks very lacklustre these days. We can't afford too many passengers.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
we've now discovered a nice stadium and flash training facility isn't enough to attract players, they all want the money, if we're not prepared to pay it then so be it, that can't stop me hoping for better players. Again, I'm not saying we can't sign top players, I just feel it's unlikely.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it has always been about the money for the vast majority of players, and I have no issue with them for that.

As a money nerd, here is the wage bill of all the clubs in the Championship and their league position in brackets afterwards for 2013/14

1: QPR £75.3 million (4)
2: Blackburn (8)
3: Leicester (1)
4: Reading (7)
5: Wigan (5)
6: Bolton (14)
7: Forest (11)
8: Leeds (15)
9: Burnley (2)
10 ALBION (6)
11: Birmingham (21)
12: Bournemouth (10)
13: Derby (3)
14 Middlesbrough (12)
15 Ipswich (9)
16 Millwall (19)
17 Huddersfield (17)
18 Wednesday (16)
19 Watford (13)
20 Charlton (18)
21 Blackpool (20)
22 Barnsley (23)
23 Doncaster (22)
24 Yeovil (24)

To put it into context, the side with the sixth highest wage bill paid out nearly £11 million in wages MORE than the Albion.

We've actually done well under both Poyet and Garcia to have made the playoffs in consecutive seasons, but the odds were against us when we've done it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

That sums up how I view our progress.

2-3 seasons ago there was a conspicuous upward 'momentum' about the Club, both on and off the pitch. Clear progression from being comfortable League 1 champions and then making a very respectable fist of our first season back in the Championship. Complimented by the raft of quality signings you refer to, who opted to join us rather than follow the money to more fancied clubs because they sensed there was this momentum and feel good factor around the Club. It was not unreasonable for the fans and observers elsewhere to see Tony's 5 year plan coming to fruition. IMO it wasn't Tony's fault that Gus, Oscar and Sami did not work out. Yes we have financial constraints and sadly we haven't been as shrewd in the transfer market as we hope - but we are still capable of unearthing gems like Kayal.

I suspect there is no one more frustrated than Tony that the momentum has been lost and we do not have the same allure for the special calibre of players to join us, especially when there are lucrative deals on offer elsewhere.

However I'm still optimistic that we have a couple of decent signings in the pipeline. I cannot see Tony allowing all of that good work to be wasted and will somehow redress the balance so we can become contenders again. It won't be easy but I hope we give it a go. My concern is whether Hughton can get the players playing consistently above themselves?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
1: We are paying COG and Baldock £30,000 a week between them. Doesn't make them any good.
2: We paid €1 million for Hamed, so how can that be not a penny spent?

I thought Hemed was a freeby from Almeria ?????
And how exactly would YOU or and anyone else on here for that matter, know the club is paying COG AND SB £15,000 a week each, utter crap !!! Tell me your " sauce " on that one.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it has always been about the money for the vast majority of players, and I have no issue with them for that.

As a money nerd, here is the wage bill of all the clubs in the Championship and their league position in brackets afterwards for 2013/14

1: QPR £75.3 million (4)
2: Blackburn (8)
3: Leicester (1)
4: Reading (7)
5: Wigan (5)
6: Bolton (14)
7: Forest (11)
8: Leeds (15)
9: Burnley (2)
10 ALBION (6)
11: Birmingham (21)
12: Bournemouth (10)
13: Derby (3)
14 Middlesbrough (12)
15 Ipswich (9)
16 Millwall (19)
17 Huddersfield (17)
18 Wednesday (16)
19 Watford (13)
20 Charlton (18)
21 Blackpool (20)
22 Barnsley (23)
23 Doncaster (22)
24 Yeovil (24)

To put it into context, the side with the sixth highest wage bill paid out nearly £11 million in wages MORE than the Albion.

We've actually done well under both Poyet and Garcia to have made the playoffs in consecutive seasons, but the odds were against us when we've done it.

I find it very hard to believe we paid out more in wages than Derby

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports