Votes: 70 61.9%
  • Job stuffed up

Votes: 40 35.4%

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Pudil, Marshall and Zamora before Aberdeen and I'll be well happy.( with just another striker, central attacking midfielder, and central defender to get ).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Voted 'Fence' because we haven't signed Leon Best yet, even though Hughton's doubtless GAGGING to offer him a deal. Hopefully wages will be a problem i.e he might have to earn them.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
No I don't, it's not when you get the players, it's the type you get that matters. Buy crap players and have a crap manager, it will make no difference when you get them, they will still be crap. People on here talk like it's easy to identify a player and get him to sign straight away. It's a long process to get a player. I have no doubt that CH wants more players in as do the club, it's just not that easy to get them.
This is precisely the approach that cost us dearly last summer, obviously it's ideal to get players early but last year we waited and ended up with trash. The longer we leave it the more desperate we get, this leaves us vulnerable to excessive demands for below par players.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That is scandalous money, I'm absolutely stunned by that.

With a £20 million plus wage bill, it's not surprising that the top earners will be on about that in a Championship Club though.

Murray wanted more than that last summer, which is why he stayed at Palace.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But there's only so far the purse strings can be loosened. Regardless of how bad last season was, we still need to stay within FFP. And unfortunately, there seem to be plenty of other clubs spending a lot this summer, which makes it even harder for us to get our targets.

So do you think we could have spent more and brought in the players we want, and stayed within FFP? I don't.

Who knows? But watch revenues plummet if we have another bad season... as I say. false economy...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I take it your going to pay that money then. We have made it more difficult with what happened last year but Bloom's made it clear we're not going to be held to ransom. I find it hard to believe that any of our fans would want that, given our history.

The big problem on here is that people moan constantly and trying to put a bit of perspective on issues leads to comments like your one here. All I'm saying is it's not that easy to sign players, especially if you're looking to bring in quality. It's not ideal and nobody is saying it is. In an ideal world we'd have all our signings ready for the beginning of July. We don't live in an ideal world.

I stand by my post. There are 2 sides to FFP... income as well as expenditure... our income has already suffered badly, and will drop like a stone if we have another bad season.

Dumb comments like your "I take it your going to pay that money then." do not reflect well.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't get what you are really trying to say, it matters not when we get players in, if they are quality ones. Under Poyet and Oscar we had players coming in through August and yet still made the play offs. Yes you are right a lot of players came in late last season, does that mean that they had to perform badly for most of the season? The problem last season is that we got mediocre players at best and we suffered. The key this season is to get the right players even if that takes right up to deadline day. Toko came in early last season, was he a good buy? The time to judge is when we have played at least a dozen games and see where we are, then you can say you told us so.

I can say "I told you so" now. I told you so during last summer. All the arrogant ar$eholes on here saying "just be patient, just be patient"... "wait until the first pre-season match, wait until the first competitive fixture, wait until the Aug window closes, wait until the loan window, wait until Jan... blah, ****ing blah"... they were all wrong, have been proved wrong, and they are arrogant enough to still preach patience. Wake the **** up...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This is repeating last summer. You do see that surely?

I genuinely think his / her / their arrogance blinds them to the reality of the dire consequences of taking too long to strengthen the team / squad...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No I don't, it's not when you get the players, it's the type you get that matters. Buy crap players and have a crap manager, it will make no difference when you get them, they will still be crap. People on here talk like it's easy to identify a player and get him to sign straight away. It's a long process to get a player. I have no doubt that CH wants more players in as do the club, it's just not that easy to get them.

And it gets harder and harder as the best players are taken by those clubs paying market rate, whilst we play hard ball and end up scraping the bottom of the barrel once again...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I stand by my post. There are 2 sides to FFP... income as well as expenditure... our income has already suffered badly, and will drop like a stone if we have another bad season.

Dumb comments like your "I take it your going to pay that money then." do not reflect well.

It may not reflect well in your opinion but the point stands. Why should Bloom continue to throw his money at the club when people like you are so ungrateful? On an alternative note, would you be willing to pay another £100 or £200 for a season ticket (or another £4 to £8 per match) to cover the costs of spending all this money?

As for your pathetic I told you so post below, I've said before that nobody guaranteed we'd get the players last summer. Some of us just don't see the point in spending your time moaning about the club all summer. While it's ideal to have all your players in by the start of the season, it's not always going to happen. If you look at my post earlier in the thread, you'll see clear logic that it was the players signed and the manager that were the reason behind last year's issues mainly, not so much when we signed them. If the right players sign in August, we'll have a better season than the wrong signings in July.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I genuinely think his / her / their arrogance blinds them to the reality of the dire consequences of taking too long to strengthen the team / squad...

You're the one who seems to think we've got a god given right to make loads of signings by mid July and you're calling others arrogant.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This is precisely the approach that cost us dearly last summer, obviously it's ideal to get players early but last year we waited and ended up with trash. The longer we leave it the more desperate we get, this leaves us vulnerable to excessive demands for below par players.

Well said.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It may not reflect well in your opinion but the point stands. Why should Bloom continue to throw his money at the club when people like you are so ungrateful? On an alternative note, would you be willing to pay another £100 or £200 for a season ticket (or another £4 to £8 per match) to cover the costs of spending all this money?

As for your pathetic I told you so post below, I've said before that nobody guaranteed we'd get the players last summer. Some of us just don't see the point in spending your time moaning about the club all summer. While it's ideal to have all your players in by the start of the season, it's not always going to happen. If you look at my post earlier in the thread, you'll see clear logic that it was the players signed and the manager that were the reason behind last year's issues mainly, not so much when we signed them. If the right players sign in August, we'll have a better season than the wrong signings in July.

(a) I am NOT ungrateful. I'm one of Bloom's biggest fans. Get your facts straight.
(b) You fail to understand that FFP takes account of income as well as expenditure. I'm sure you'll come round to virtually everyone else's way of thinking once you grasp this 'difficult' concept.
(c) You keep preaching patience, I'll keep telling you like it is. There is nothing pathetic in pointing out the unjustified arrogance of your stance, even when you have been proved wrong. Now, that is pathetic. No, sad is a better word.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You're the one who seems to think we've got a god given right to make loads of signings by mid July and you're calling others arrogant.

Seriously! Where have I said we have a 'God-given right' to make early signings!? I did, however, say we have to loosen the purse strings and stop playing hard ball.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

At no point has B.W said anything of the sort. What he is unfortunately having to repeat, much like myself, is that we are in the same boat as last year, probably worse off in fact. This time last year we still had Buckley and Ulloa, but they got sold ad neither have been replaced, not even close. I find it baffling that people can't, or perhaps won't acknowledge the parallels between last summer and this summer regarding transfers. We are doing exactly the same thing, sniffing around but running scared when the selling club want a fee or the player wants a wage. We completely understand why the club is trying to be frugal, but that doesn't stop a fan feeling disappointment by, what is up to until now, an undeniably poor window.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
(a) I am NOT ungrateful. I'm one of Bloom's biggest fans. Get your facts straight.
(b) You fail to understand that FFP takes account of income as well as expenditure. I'm sure you'll come round to virtually everyone else's way of thinking once you grasp this 'difficult' concept.
(c) You keep preaching patience, I'll keep telling you like it is. There is nothing pathetic in pointing out the unjustified arrogance of your stance, even when you have been proved wrong. Now, that is pathetic. No, sad is a better word.

You keep saying B but where have I said I don't understand it. What are you on about? Of course it takes into account income. It would be a bizarre system if it didn't. I really don't get your point. As for being one of Bloom's biggest fans, you don't seem to trust him and the team he has appointed to run the club to do it, do you? It's almost like you think we're not trying to sign players, which is obviously not true.

As for the arrogance, you're just making crap up. I've said elsewhere (and it's pretty obvious), that it's the signings we made, not when we made them that's the issue. Better players will take longer to make decisions as there'll have more offers (unless you pay them far too much).

Anyway, this argument is pointless. It doesn't achieve anything (which was my point all last summer and has been this summer). It's not going to improve the situation moaning all summer so I don't see the point and I'm going to log off now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
At no point has B.W said anything of the sort. What he is unfortunately having to repeat, much like myself, is that we are in the same boat as last year, probably worse off in fact. This time last year we still had Buckley and Ulloa, but they got sold ad neither have been replaced, not even close. I find it baffling that people can't, or perhaps won't acknowledge the parallels between last summer and this summer regarding transfers. We are doing exactly the same thing, sniffing around but running scared when the selling club want a fee or the player wants a wage. We completely understand why the club is trying to be frugal, but that doesn't stop a fan feeling disappointment by, what is up to until now, an undeniably poor window.

Much appreciated and well said again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports