Has There Been Any Feedback From Coppell?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
The reason I think why this could be stalling is that Coppell seldom ever signs contracts longer than a season.
Bloom would want to get his man to sign a contract that takes us into Falmer which is eighteen months way whereas Coppell probably wants it to the end of this season or similar. Somethings got to give.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Coppell will not come to brighton as he has said Its the wrong time and wants something bigger

Maybe you know something, but at Coppell's age I would not think that you would use "this is the wrong time" as a reason not to come as it will probably be his last job. That is a reason a younger manager would use.

He may want something bigger but, if you believe what people are saying about him wanting to stay in the south, then there are a limited number of jobs available that fit his criteria. He clearly enjoyed the job when he was here before and may well regard us as a good place to end his career.

I don't think Bloom's announcement yesterday was a bad sign. Firstly, we don't even know who his first choice is (or even if he has made that choice yet). It may be he is still weighing up the pros and cons of a number of impressive candidates.

Also, if he had left it and then nothing had happened this week, there would have been a sense of disappointment and anti-climax going into the Wycombe game. Now, everyone knows where we stand and who is in charge this weekend and we can all get on with speculating next week.

Last edited:

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Coppell turns down Albion
4:09pm Thursday 5th November 2009

Comments (0) Have your say »

Exclusive By Andy Naylor »

Steve Coppell has ruled himself out of the running to become Albion's manager again.

Coppell was tempted to link back up with the Seagulls.

But the 54-year-old is sitting tight for a Premier League or Championship job, which will be his last in management.

Albion chairman Tony Bloom revealed: "Steve was one of the first names to spring to mind, and would have been a leading candidate for the job, but on initial contact he ruled himself out.

"He is enjoying his time out of the game, after leaving Reading last summer, and I think only a very high profile job could tempt him back into football at this time."

Bloom added: "We have had a high number of quality applicants, and have now refined the shortlist and will continue with the process of evaluating and interviewing the leading contenders."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports