Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has Robert Sanchez saved a penalty???

PFW

Feb 16, 2017
The foot hills of Norfolk
I am not having a go, and still think he is a bloody good keeper, but just asking has he ever saved a penalty. The last 2 (Brentford and City) although both well taken, he never looked like he was ever going to save them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not that I'm aware of but is there a keeper in the world who could have saved that Haaland penalty?

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Agreed - he rarely seems to really try - obviously I’m wrong but I admit I now just assume we’ll lose a goal every time we concede a pen. I also suspect the absence of Ben Roberts will affect his general keeping - the wild chase out for City’s first dubious goal was madness. Hope he has a blinder on Sat

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No he hasn't. He's faced 9 and 7 have been scored. The other two were missed by Sterling for Man City and Calvert-Lewin for Everton, both blazed over the bar.
Ah, yes, you are correct. The commentators said that he hadn't saved any of the penalties he had faced and I have clearly misinterpreted this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed - he rarely seems to really try - obviously I’m wrong but I admit I now just assume we’ll lose a goal every time we concede a pen. I also suspect the absence of Ben Roberts will affect his general keeping - the wild chase out for City’s first dubious goal was madness. Hope he has a blinder on Sat
I don't buy into to this missing Roberts, he made howlers last season too. Much too simplistic imo

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don’t think Sanchez is anywhere near being a great keeper …. Yet.
He makes many great saves but has at least one mistake a game in him. Unless the opposition don’t bother attacking.

Jimmy Grimble

I posted the following on another thread:

His record in the Premier League is:

9 faced
2 missed
0 saved
7 scored

I don’t think Maty Ryan’s record was much better. 2 saved out of 17 a quick Google shows (they were definitely saved rather than missed).

26 penalties against us in the Prem and 22 scored. That works out as 15-16% missed or saved, which from another quick google appears to be a bit below par.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The best PK keepers in the world usually save 2-3 penalties per season. Most save between 0 and 1.

While it is obviously nice when your goalie save a penalty, it is also a very, very low-impact ability to have. Kind of like having a striker who is good at bicycletas - nice, but how often is it useful exactly?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Think the new bloke who was a GK coach in Barca for 20 years probably isn't entirely incompetent.

He's done a few wonky decisions in the last month but I think it is a self-confidence thing more than anything. Once you make a mistake or two you start questioning yourself and you make more mistakes. Happens to everyone but more visible for keepers and strikers. I think the misjudgement against City was a result of that: if he had not questioned himself he would have been out of his goal a few seconds earlier and stopped the pass before it reached Haaland.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My default when Maupay was taking them was that we'd always miss our pens and let in "theirs". Since Mac has taken over duties I'm a bit more positive and now think we'll probably score ours. I never think the opposition will fail to score and, when they're being taken by Haaland or Toney they won't.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Think the new bloke who was a GK coach in Barca for 20 years probably isn't entirely incompetent.

He's done a few wonky decisions in the last month but I think it is a self-confidence thing more than anything. Once you make a mistake or two you start questioning yourself and you make more mistakes. Happens to everyone but more visible for keepers and strikers. I think the misjudgement against City was a result of that: if he had not questioned himself he would have been out of his goal a few seconds earlier and stopped the pass before it reached Haaland.
It has nothing to do with how competent the new goalkeeping coach is. Sanchez had a very close relationship with Ben Roberts, he considered him a second dad. Losing that is going to have an effect on him no matter how good the new guy is.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sanchez is always still learning, as is every other PL GK.
There are great GK's that excel at shot stopping, but aren't great in saving penalties, and visa versa.
There is more freedom for the penalty taker these days, who have got it down to a fine art, ie: Toney at Brentford.
The GK basically has to be stood in concrete before they can move.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It has nothing to do with how competent the new goalkeeping coach is. Sanchez had a very close relationship with Ben Roberts, he considered him a second dad. Losing that is going to have an effect on him no matter how good the new guy is.

Agreed - but I can’t see that Sanchez is playing differently ? Not saving penalties, the odd clanger (Liverpool ? City ? ), some worldie saves and some decent distribution etc is par for the course.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sure. Its just not the end of the world. It's not like Sanchez ability is entirely dependent on having his "second dad" watch him from the sidelines.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He tends to move too late (like Shilton 1990) or go too early (like Ryan) or just not bother like on Saturday. Frankly I'd fancy my chances more as mostly he just looks resigned to failure when there is a penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here