Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I thought Potter was quite good with us.

It's a bit different with the "Big Boys" in the "Big Smoke".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I did think that opinions suggesting GP's demise at Chelsea were imminent were quite laughable a week or so back.but. ...we might find out soon if the new owners are any better than the Russian.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I did think that opinions suggesting GP's demise at Chelsea were imminent were quite laughable a week or so back.but. ...we might find out soon if the new owners are any better than the Russian.
New owner knows nothing about football and money isn’t a problem so Potter is very sackable. It’s the trouble with sports washing. Money is meaningless. Which is bonkers but sadly true.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was GP ever 3 or more goals down at half time with us?
Yep. v Man City last season (october 2021), lost 1-4.
v leicester in December 2020. Ended 3-0.

Not quites
Last season's return match v Man city (april 2022) was 0-0 at half time and 0-3 at full time, so conceded all three in the second half
v Wolves in January 2021 we were 3-1 down, ended 3-3 conceding 3, but the one scored narrows the gap
v Man city July 2020 we were 2-0 down at half time, lost 5-0, so again three goals in the second half.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Yep. v Man City last season (october 2021), lost 1-4.
v leicester in December 2020. Ended 3-0.

Not quites
Last season's return match v Man city (april 2022) was 0-0 at half time and 0-3 at full time, so conceded all three in the second half
v Wolves in January 2021 we were 3-1 down, ended 3-3 conceding 3, but the one scored narrows the gap
v Man city July 2020 we were 2-0 down at half time, lost 5-0, so again three goals in the second half.
Top statting, thanks.

And further proof that I've got selective memory.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Pretty fair and I’m sure we’re conceding more too, which is a (slight) concern.

Indeed, irrespective of my personal opinion of GP as a person, his transformation of our playing style early during his tenure was and remains the catalyst for the exceptional times we’ve experienced during the last six-eight months or so. This is undeniable. Without GP there would be no Roberto and very possibly no PL football.

I remain convinced, when I first saw GP football firsthand at Newcastle - during the first few weeks of his reign, that it was (at that point) the best I’d ever seen us play in my lifetime. Given the level, the personnel on the pitch (even if we drew 0-0) it was ridiculous, when just a few months previously we’d all been tortured by that Cardiff game :/

Make no mistake, GP put us (along with some superb recruitment) on the map... to the extent that someone like Roberto wanted the job.

Revisionist stuff doesn’t help, but I will always assert GP would have been better off anywhere but Chelsea, and furthermore, waiting until the end of this season to jump ship. His decision, his bed and (yes) his millions in the bank... hey ho etc.
Agree, he made such a significant impact immediately. Tangible improvement in performance regardless of points tally.

At Chelsea the impact has been to make them worse. They are awful. That is with a talented squad, all these excuses about players are ridiculous. Yes, injuries have an impact but even allowing for this the performances have been woeful

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
quite sad really; the amount of bile and vitriol, seemingly well adjusted people can store up about a person they've never met.

quite disturbing
possibly yes, but i don’t think it would ever have been half so bad if he himself hadn’t turned so snide in some of his comment. Not saying it’s all his fault, these things very rarely are, but it surely helped set the scene?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
quite sad really; the amount of bile and vitriol, seemingly well adjusted people can store up about a person they've never met.

quite disturbing
Have you been reading the shed end? As the vast majority here are just delighting in his misfortune in the time honoured British way. No vitriol that I’ve seen.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He was holding us back, we were underachieving under Potter..
Sorry, as much as I’m enjoying Chelsea and Potter’s plight on the telly box and laughing my fat ass off, that’s just revisionist guff.

Potter increased our possession, shooting and attractiveness by many magnitudes from what CH was giving us. Potter’s biggest challenge was getting players to convert chances which I believe he cracked at the end of last season thinking about the Manure and West Ham matches.

We then started really well this season. He left us in 4th. If you think that is underachieving, I’d suggest an appointment with a professional.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Radio been saying how the chelsea players look like they are just ignoring Potters instructions on the side line.

Which is nice
And very typical of players that have their agents on speed dial.

I can't imagine Sterling ever listening to anything Potter has to say.

Managing ego's at big clubs is all about them, you have to get buy in from their leaders. Certain players will hold the dressing room together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here