Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has going to Home games been this boring since…

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
meh, we look toothless and devoid of confidence, but the general play and effort is there, its certainly nothing like under Hughton, I still enjoy coming and watching us play even though we are in a rough patch.

It will turn around I have no doubt. I am sure Mr Potter knows what we need over the summer.

But didn’t he know that last summer?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
According to a post I saw on Twitter tonight, we have scored a grand total of 4 (FOUR) goals in open play at the Amex this season. And one of those was an own goal.

Maupay v Watford
Trossard v Brentford
Maupay v Brentford
Anderson OG v Palace

I have not had the will or inclination to check the veracity of this. But if its true (and I kind of suspect it is), then you have to conclude that...we're not very good. Are we.

I think it’s true. It’s also a pointless crappy stat. Did you not celebrate Duffy’s towering header against Watford, Welbeck’s deft header against Leicester, or any crucial penalties?

The goal scoring at home has been WOEFUL and needs sorting out, but manipulating the stats weakens their argument.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think it’s true. It’s also a pointless crappy stat. Did you not celebrate Duffy’s towering header against Watford, Welbeck’s deft header against Leicester, or any crucial penalties?

The goal scoring at home has been WOEFUL and needs sorting out, but manipulating the stats weakens their argument.

Well, yes and no. Obviously I celebrate every goal like an absolute LOON, because I know it'll likely be about a month before I see another one. But I don't think its 'manipulating' the stats at all.

Our staggeringly paltry goal return in open play is indicative of how easy we are to defend against. We've all seen the possession stats, everyone knows we can keep hold of the ball all afternoon. We often work our way into some good areas, get in some promising positions, but we create so very few clear-cut chances because we fail to move the ball around quickly enough, so sideways and back we go. The opposition fall back into position, everything gets congested, everything gets blocked. And when we DO eventually create a good chance, it usually gets Lallana'd straight into the stands.

We used to have a decent XG (albeit with an appalling goal conversion ratio). I've not looked it up lately, but I bet even our XG has gone down the toilet these last couple of months.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Our staggeringly paltry goal return in open play is indicative of how easy we are to defend against. We've all seen the possession stats, everyone knows we can keep hold of the ball all afternoon. We often work our way into some good areas, get in some promising positions, but we create so very few clear-cut chances because we fail to move the ball around quickly enough, so sideways and back we go. The opposition fall back into position, everything gets congested, everything gets blocked. And when we DO eventually create a good chance, it usually gets Lallana'd straight into the stands.

Yup. Our build up/middle third play can be as good as almost anyone in the league, but for some time now our final ball in has been PAINFULLY slow.

So often we check back, check again play a little one two, then maybe finally deliver, by which time the other team's back four are fully set.

A lot of Maupay's goals over the past couple of seasons have come from a surprisingly quick/early cross, good movement from Neal and a deft finish. All the time we take so long to get the ball in, his chances of scoring have plummeted.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yup. Our build up/middle third play can be as good as almost anyone in the league, but for some time now our final ball in has been PAINFULLY slow.

So often we check back, check again play a little one two, then maybe finally deliver, by which time the other team's back four are fully set.

A lot of Maupay's goals over the past couple of seasons have come from a surprisingly quick/early cross, good movement from Neal and a deft finish. All the time we take so long to get the ball in, his chances of scoring have plummeted.

Agreed. And as far as Maupay's goals, its more often not even a cross, but just a good simple ball DECISIVELY played forward - see the finish v Watford at home, and the famous Palace 'why'd you let it bounce'.

Sadly, we are not very good at those.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Shouldn't we be used to this by given that we have failed to score in 30 Premier League home games since promotion to the PL and no team has failed to do so more often in that time.

For every 3 home games we fail to score in 1 on average.

Clearly puts the Amex down as an entertainment centre for home fans

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Agreed. And as far as Maupay's goals, its more often not even a cross, but just a good simple ball DECISIVELY played forward - see the finish v Watford at home, and the famous Palace 'why'd you let it bounce'.

Sadly, we are not very good at those.

This is the thing for me. Welbeck is the player for crosses, Maupay is the player for running on to balls over the top

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
According to a post I saw on Twitter tonight, we have scored a grand total of 4 (FOUR) goals in open play at the Amex this season. And one of those was an own goal.

Maupay v Watford
Trossard v Brentford
Maupay v Brentford
Anderson OG v Palace

I have not had the will or inclination to check the veracity of this. But if its true (and I kind of suspect it is), then you have to conclude that...we're not very good. Are we.

And I guess more than half of those who normally attend, will have missed the Brentford game, so might feel like the last time they saw us score from open play was Maupay v Watford.

No wonder the empty seats

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It is very dull at the moment but has a long way to go to catch up with Hughton’s second PL season though. That was off the scale painful!

If the upcoming Norwich and Southampton results match the Cardiff and Bournemouth results from that season though I might need to revisit that opinion!

After the Burnley debacle I was trying to decide whether it was worse than the Bournemouth game you are talking about.

It was close, but I’m going for Burnley. Mainly because Bournemouth actually weren’t a bad side and were higher up the League than Burnley - who played us off the pitch despite having only won one game all season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 30, 2008
Adams was in charge second time round? I know it wasn’t great second season under Hughton in the Prem towards the end. But at least we picked up wins at Home.

After the Boxing Day shambles of a kick off I don’t think I’ve seen us win at home since September. If it was on TV tonight I wouldn’t have gone.

Luckily I’ve had some good away days this season otherwise I think I’d be in the potter out camp it’s total shit.

Calling Mr Poyet

Regards

DF

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I really enjoyed the season in 1987 I think it was when Bremner and Nelson were scoring for fun and we gave Arsenal an almighty scare in the cup. That was a cracking season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well, yes and no. Obviously I celebrate every goal like an absolute LOON, because I know it'll likely be about a month before I see another one. But I don't think its 'manipulating' the stats at all.

We used to have a decent XG (albeit with an appalling goal conversion ratio). I've not looked it up lately, but I bet even our XG has gone down the toilet these last couple of months.

xG 2020/21 - 1.42
xG 2021/22 - 1.18, including 1.08 last 6 games.

xGA 2020/21 - 1.05
xGA 2021/22 - 1.29, including 1.83 last 6 games.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I really enjoyed the season in 1987 I think it was when Bremner and Nelson were scoring for fun and we gave Arsenal an almighty scare in the cup. That was a cracking season.

87-88.

One of my three favourite seasons alongside 2000/01 and 2016/17

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
xG 2020/21 - 1.42
xG 2021/22 - 1.18, including 1.08 last 6 games.

xGA 2020/21 - 1.05
xGA 2021/22 - 1.29, including 1.83 last 6 games.

Yup, as suspected. Gone to shite of late on both counts.

We'll be ok. Its just really, really deflating after such a great first half of the season.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Our current form is really disappointing. But aren't there some more general factors which contribute to the lack of excitement in the games...

1. Many of the opposing teams come here and set up deep to stifle our style of play. Of course Potter should try to figure out how to counteract this but it is certainly a factor in the slow pace of the games. Liverpool didn't do that and, even though we lost, it was a decent game.

2. Much of high level modern football is less exciting than in the past. The players are much better but the game sometimes resembles chess. Keeping possession at the back and trying to work an opening is standard fare nowdays. Unless you have the skill level of Man City or Liverpool it can be very tedious. It is so interesting to watch a game from 40 years ago....less skilled but more goalmouth action.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here