Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has Dunk peaked?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
May be a silly thread but Dan Burn was our most consistent defender this season until we sold him.

Gave much better balance being left footed and worked well with Marc C.

Although Lewis getting back from injury letting five goals against Spurs and Man U is a big difference compared with two in two games against Chelsea with BDB!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Blimey,.. a case presented with stone cold indisputable facts ... how very dare you!?! introducing calm objectivity into this swamp of subjectivity.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Given the way Burn handled Lukaku and the way Dunk played tonight against an equally strong strike force, I can’t help thinking we may have made a mistake.

It's almost like ... one game does not make a player.

Dunk has bossed better players than Lukaku in the past. Equally Burn has been shredded by lesser. Yet they are both good players.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Dunk has bossed better players than Lukaku in the past. Equally Burn has been shredded by lesser. Yet they are both good players.

Yeh, to make the case that Burn is good and we shouldn't have sold him, (which I agree with), you don't have denigrate another player.

Both are terrific defenders and fine footballers.

I might make the case that Burn at 29 has played by a country mile the best season of his life and is in near unbelievable form and would have still probably been dropped by GP for Dunk on his return had we not sold him. I'll take GP's opinion on Dunk over Southgate's that's for sure

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I do agree - he has always had it in his locker and although we see it fairly less frequently now he is still prone to a rash tackle that results in a penalty or red card.

Compare Dunk to Webster.

Dunk 356 Games - 9 Red Cards
Webster 254 Games - 2 Red Cards

2 last season and one this, one every 16 games, then he misses 3

If we're a stats driven club he misses 1 in 5 games, without injuries. For all his abilities and 'leadership skills' its something that could be improved.

I suppose another way of looking at it is

possibly 2-0 down with 11 men . . . would have been a tall order

1-0 down with 10 men is a taller one.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Lewis Dunk has looked off the pace since his return, our forward progression is generally slower than while he was out.

I think if we hadn't sold Burn, then Dunk would struggle to guarantee a place after suspension.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's possible that the latest injury may have affected mind as well as body!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

If we're a stats driven club he misses 1 in 5 games, without injuries. For all his abilities and 'leadership skills' its something that could be improved.

Exactly - hes been in that position before and surely you have to realise its better not to miss 1.5 games and go 2-0 down, then try and save the goal and be missing again

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I admit this is probably just my disappointment rising up, or just me venting, but has Dunk peaked? Before he got injured, he was making a few dodgy decisions and he was a bit too slow. Now we know he has lapses in concentration and has a red card in nearly every season, but against Spurs he was bad. Against Watford he was better making good blocks, but when Dennis ran at him, he was beaten every time. Today has shown why he never gets picked for England, but i'm wondering if at 30, he may have started to decline slightly. I still love the guy, but maybe it's time to find another first pick centre back and have him as back up?

You’ve written some decent posts in the past.
Shall we put this one down to post match frustration ?
Although to be fair, some others seem to think you have a point.
Amazing really.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This pissing about certainly worked in the first half.

We lost really because the have a finisher of some repute, and we don't

maybe Ragnik came up with a brainstorm at half time and said to Elanga or whatever the ****ers name is , if they piss about with it at the back run into one of them and fall over ........80 k a week , piece of piss..:rolleyes:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was actually thinking about this recently actually - Lewis Dunk is the only player to have been around the first team since we were in League One to where we are now. The 'levels' he has had to increase to do so is very impressive given how the whole squad has gone through many evolutions around him. But we're now in a new era of aiming for a top 10 finish and it will be interesting to see if he can get to / maintain that level as well

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Lewis Dunk has looked off the pace since his return, our forward progression is generally slower than while he was out.

I think if we hadn't sold Burn, then Dunk would struggle to guarantee a place after suspension.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's possible that the latest injury may have affected mind as well as body!

yep , we piss about far more at the back with him in the team , not knocking him but we play different , with burn gone we will have to adapt ......propper sucker punch and hard to take as i really thought we could get something off the pricks.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Yes l have to agree that Lewis has always been a player who sees the red mist occasionally, and makes the odd rash tackle, several red cards and lengthy bans have resulted from them.

Yes also to the original question, has he peaked? but he is 30 now, at his best and obviously isn't going to improve. That said though he is still some player! our captain, and an absolute corner stone of our side. First name on the team sheet for me every game.

Maybe he has been a touch off the pace in his last couple of games, but he has been missing with a long injury layoff for some time so hardly unexpected. He will soon be back up to speed after his suspension l'm sure.

#teamdunky.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I do agree - he has always had it in his locker and although we see it fairly less frequently now he is still prone to a rash tackle that results in a penalty or red card.

Compare Dunk to Webster.

Dunk 356 Games - 9 Red Cards
Webster 254 Games - 2 Red Cards

Just trying to remember Dunky's reds while in the PL.

There was last night's. A mistake yes, but a ridiculous refereeing decision
Wolves away last year. Took one for the team, proved to be a bad decision, but sort of understand why he made a snap decision it was worth the risk
Palace at home, lunged in on the line, looking to prevent a goal in a melee and caught someone. That happens

Can't remember any others, but do know that a lot of the indiscipline was early in his career

Also can't remember what penalties he's given away during the time we've been in the PL, but i'm sure there must have been some, given that we concede a lot of them

I suppose what i'm saying is that I don't really see a continuing pattern of unforgiveable balls ups. More that, just as a PL striker might find himself on the wrong end of fine margins, tight calls and misfortune, so might a defender. I don't think there are too many PL defenders who have played that many games who haven't come a cropper in these circumstances

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
yep , we piss about far more at the back with him in the team , not knocking him but we play different , with burn gone we will have to adapt ......propper sucker punch and hard to take as i really thought we could get something off the pricks.

Yeh interesting. I think with a natural left sider as a left sided centre back, he's likely to let the pass roll across him and pass it out to the full back with no danger, rather than take a touch in front of the goal and look for a pass infield and risk being caught in front of goal.

It really shows the benefit of having natural balance in your team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's singed his last contract extension.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I suppose what i'm saying is that I don't really see a continuing pattern of unforgiveable balls ups. More that, just as a PL striker might find himself on the wrong end of fine margins, tight calls and misfortune, so might a defender. I don't think there are too many PL defenders who have played that many games who haven't come a cropper in these circumstances

I don't think anyone is trying to say that - but sadly the red card and the impact on the game + missing for the suspensions (as well as his occassional totting up suspensions) - is this kind of thing does have quite a big impact on the team. It's unfortunate he's not been able to eradicate it from a his game a bit more

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just trying to remember Dunky's reds while in the PL.

There was last night's. A mistake yes, but a ridiculous refereeing decision
Wolves away last year. Took one for the team, proved to be a bad decision, but sort of understand why he made a snap decision it was worth the risk
Palace at away, lunged in on the line, looking to prevent a goal in a melee and caught Cahill. That happens

Can't remember any others, but do know that a lot of the indiscipline was early in his career

Also can't remember what penalties he's given away during the time we've been in the PL, but i'm sure there must have been some, given that we concede a lot of them

Pedantic correction (by me not the poster) alert

Last edited:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
The 'to you to me,to you to me' was definitely back last night and we can well do without Biss getting involved in it aswell

Must be frustrating for Tross & Maupay having to continually check their runs & movement

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think anyone is trying to say that - but sadly the red card and the impact on the game + missing for the suspensions (as well as his occassional totting up suspensions) - is this kind of thing does have quite a big impact on the team. It's unfortunate he's not been able to eradicate it from a his game a bit more

Well it does have an impact clearly, but the point i'm making is it's circumstance. A centre back might find themselves mistiming a block or getting a very harsh referring decision in the PL. We get a lot more than we lose from Dunks style of defending and from Potter's insistence that we don't just hoof it upfield, so personally I'm happy to accept it as a hazard of his occupation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here