Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys = £4.20?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pint of cider before the game - £4.40 (The Cyclist)
Pint of cider at the game - £4.20 (and some cash back on that, maybe - I can't remember how that works now)

Seems reasonable to me.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Harveys keep putting their prices up: two or three times in the last year, that's the problem. It's nearly £90 a barrel now compared to £45 for long man. I'd be devastated if the stopped selling Harveys but think the transition to other local ales will probably happen eventually.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Harveys keep putting their prices up: two or three times in the last year, that's the problem. It's nearly £90 a barrel now compared to £45 for long man. I'd be devastated if the stopped selling Harveys but think the transition to other local ales will probably happen eventually.
Now this is something I'd like to see happen.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Granted it's "only 30p" but it feels like an unreasonably large increase, particularly to those of us moderate drinkers who seek out the 3 bottles for a fiver deals at the supermarket. Can see our visits to The Swan getting more regular now!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
420 :thumbsup:

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
You get cashback but only from 90 minutes before the game so if you travel early, like the club encourages and buy a drink before 1.30pm on a Saturday you get no cashback.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Local ales? I will put money on a transition to John Smiths or whatever "ale" Sodexo's suppliers punt.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
£50 donation to REMF if club stop stocking Harveys in 2014/15.

This clearly will not happen as I understand the current contract runs for at least this season. I don't actually want to win this bet either. I don't really like Harvey's but will be disappointed if the club switch.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This clearly will not happen as I understand the current contract runs for at least this season. I don't actually want to win this bet either. I don't really like Harvey's but will be disappointed if the club switch.

Fair enough. Yes. This clearly will not happen at all. This season or in the near future i should guess. Doesn't make business sense. So not sure why you think it will...

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Nice. Queues should be half the size this season then.

Maybe I'm just used to London prices, but £4.20 doesn't seem outrageous to me. About £3.80-£4.00 seems to be the going rate, so an extra 20p for a captive audience in a football stadium seems about right. I paid £5.20 in a pub the other day. £5.20!! Now that is taking the piss. You used to be able to get 8 cans for that. Imagine what the atmosphere at the Amex would be like if you could get 8 cans for a fiver.

I'm with Commander - £4.20 for a pint of Harveys isn't that bad. To put it in perspective, London prices are pretty much around the £5 a pint mark as Commander says. If it's below that you're on a winner. If it's below £4, then you're in a shit pub.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You get cashback but only from 90 minutes before the game so if you travel early, like the club encourages and buy a drink before 1.30pm on a Saturday you get no cashback.
Other way round isn't it? Arrive early and get cash back. Arrive later and you get none. After the game you get cash back after 90 minutes I think it is - impossible to get because the WSL stewards boot everybody out long before cash back kicks in

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
One small point. They haven't put up the advertising boards above the concourse selling points so the deals and pricing could still be provisional.
They've made errors before , for example , where one season the pie/pint deal was charged 50p too much.
Also it would be unlikely given that we're a week away from match 1, but they might have used last night as a good test to see likely sales, feedback, reaction to the price increase . The actual pricing / deals for 14/15 might be tweaked to reflect that next week.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Whereas I think you'll find they won't. People go to the football, they buy a pint. After that first pint, the second & third & fourth don't look so expensive, oddly enough.

We all spend a fortune on football these days. I'm not saying that's right, but I doubt many people are going to refuse to buy their regular pint because it's £4.20 compared to the (bargain!) £3.90 it was last season.

Hiking up ticket prices might put off the match-by-match goer, because the ultimate investment is a significant one (£30- £40).

The price of a pint isn't, because if all your mates are standing around knocking back a beer, the vast majority of regular drinkers aren't going to decline because of a 30p increase. If there is genuinely somebody on here who cannot afford a pint of beer at a Championship football game that they've bought a £36 ticket for because it's going to cost them 30p more than last season: PM me. I'll give you that 30p myself.
You miss the point. Most of us can afford the extra 30p but I know many people who have said that a 30p increase is taking the piss and they will head back into Brighton for a beer.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I'm with Commander - £4.20 for a pint of Harveys isn't that bad. To put it in perspective, London prices are pretty much around the £5 a pint mark as Commander says. If it's below that you're on a winner. If it's below £4, then you're in a shit pub.

The concourse IS a shit pub though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair enough. Yes. This clearly will not happen at all. This season or in the near future i should guess. Doesn't make business sense. So not sure why you think it will...

I presume, say John Smiths, is much cheaper to buy-in than Harvey's. The profit margin on 4.20 will therefore be greater. The club could sell less but make more. And Barber isn't interested in anything but the bottom line; local suppliers etc etc do not seem to interest him. So, I will not be surprised if the club switches once this current deal is done. Similarly with Piglets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here