Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty SOCKS it to the NSC LICKERS (& Hyypia) in the Herald this week

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure that's quite fair. When you look at the paragraphs he posted related to NSC virtually all of it is true in my opinion:

"It’s not as if the alarm bells didn’t start ringing with some supporters early on. And it’s clear that it’s polarised opinion on the legendary Albion internet forum, NorthStandChat."TRUE, NSC is always polarised!

"Fans who did express initial concerns were dismissed by another faction of the support in a graphic and uncomplimentary term – a barb which has come back to haunt its original authors in recent weeks." TRUE lots of posters who questioned what Barber said were shot down in flames, as is often the case on NSC, so what but undoubtedly TRUE

"In fact, the whole saga has almost appeared to split the support on NSC, which, is something, as both an Albion fan and someone who enjoys reading NSC, that is almost as worrying as the Albion’s form." TRUE as above

"I’m not for one minute suggesting that Paul Barber, or anyone else at the club is controlling or censoring the forum, but as emotions run high certain threads have been deemed controversial /libellous by moderators and have been removed." TRUE one controversial thread was deleted. And TRUE Harty is not suggesting that NSC is being controlled by Barber. Hence his first sentence.

So which bit should he be apologising for fellow mods?

Thank goodness - at last some common sense from someone whose comments can't be dismissed with that boring cry od 'Bedwetter'! I do not know about any thread being removed, so cannot / will not comment on that, but agree with all the rest.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
"I’m not for one minute suggesting that Paul Barber, or anyone else at the club is controlling or censoring the forum, but as emotions run high certain threads have been deemed controversial /libellous by moderators and have been removed." TRUE one controversial thread was deleted. And TRUE Harty is not suggesting that NSC is being controlled by Barber. Hence his first sentence.

Certain threads suggests multiple threads when you state in fact only one thread has been deleted, and the reason why is was deleted has already been adequately explained.

He has exaggerated the scale of the so called censorship of threads to make it fit in with his ongoing criticism.

I hope this answers your question and I apologise for answering despite not being a moderator.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I’m not for one minute suggesting that Paul Barber, or anyone else at the club is controlling or censoring the forum, but as emotions run high certain threads have been deemed controversial /libellous by moderators and have been removed." TRUE one controversial thread was deleted. And TRUE Harty is not suggesting that NSC is being controlled by Barber. Hence his first sentence.

This bit. Why mention the club at all.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

1. Despite saying that "I’m not for one minute suggesting that Paul Barber, or anyone else at the club is controlling or censoring the forum" he was very clearly sowing the seed of thought for his readers that the club do have an active hand in what content is allowed to stand on NSC, and is also responsible for trying to set an editorial tone. That was confirmed on Friday night when Harty revealed he had taken 2 added another 2 and come up with 739.

2. I'm not sure I even know what thread you are talking about. Regardless, the article mentioned 'threads'. Plural. There is a very clear indication that widespread censorship has been taking place when the fact is threads that are controversial are NEVER removed. You don't have to look very far on NSC to see that is the case. The only threads that are removed are those which could get either an NSC user, NSC and/or me into legal trouble. I may be slightly more conservative than some but for that I make no apology - it's my name that sits behind NSC. If you are happy to gamble with your own finances and the home of your children etc then go and set up your own site and allow all manner of potentially libellous content to be written. It's very easy to be reckless if you don't believe there is any risk to yourself.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
1. Despite saying that "I’m not for one minute suggesting that Paul Barber, or anyone else at the club is controlling or censoring the forum" he was very clearly sowing the seed of thought for his readers that the club do have an active hand in what content is allowed to stand on NSC, and is also responsible for trying to set an editorial tone. That was confirmed on Friday night when Harty revealed he had taken 2 added another 2 and come up with 739.

2. I'm not sure I even know what thread you are talking about. Regardless, the article mentioned 'threads'. Plural. There is a very clear indication that widespread censorship has been taking place when the fact is threads that are controversial are NEVER removed. You don't have to look very far on NSC to see that is the case. The only threads that are removed are those which could get either an NSC user, NSC and/or me into legal trouble. I may be slightly more conservative than some but for that I make no apology - it's my name that sits behind NSC. If you are happy to gamble with your own finances and the home of your children etc then go and set up your own site and allow all manner of potentially libellous content to be written. It's very easy to be reckless if you don't believe there is any risk to yourself.

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I completely agree with your approach to running the forum. It's your forum and you can do exactly what you want and you do a brilliant job for which we are all very grateful. I am simply stating the facts as I know them as I feel that the whole thread has gone away from the original Ian Hart article.

You are correct in that only one thread vaguely relating to the subject was deleted. However we both know that the club and other clubs in general look at forums much more and libel action has been threatened against individual posters or yourself if anyone says anything libellous against anyone at the club. That is a fact and as a result I believe that to some degree means that a more conservative moderating outlook has to be taken. It doesn't mean widespread censorship has occured as Harty says he is not saying it has and neither am I but it does change things a little bit. We can argue over scale perhaps but surely you can't deny that in the last couple of years the probability of legal action from the club against this forum has increased. To say that doesn't change the way it is moderated to some degree is non sensical.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I completely agree with your approach to running the forum. It's your forum and you can do exactly what you want and you do a brilliant job for which we are all very grateful. I am simply stating the facts as I know them as I feel that the whole thread has gone away from the original Ian Hart article.

You are correct in that only one thread vaguely relating to the subject was deleted. However we both know that the club and other clubs in general look at forums much more and libel action has been threatened against individual posters or yourself if anyone says anything libellous against anyone at the club. That is a fact and as a result I believe that to some degree means that a more conservative moderating outlook has to be taken. It doesn't mean widespread censorship has occured as Harty says he is not saying it has and neither am I but it does change things a little bit. We can argue over scale perhaps but surely you can't deny that in the last couple of years the probability of legal action from the club against this forum has increased. To say that doesn't change the way it is moderated to some degree is non sensical.

I said I didn't know what thread you were talking about and I still don't. I'll say it again (and again, if I have to): controversial content is not removed from NSC.

No, I don't believe moderating on NSC has changed at all. Potentially libellous stuff always has, does and always will be removed when known about.

I don't know if you're being intentionally obtuse about this. We all know what...

"I'm not racist but..."
"I'm not saying all recruitment agents are tossers but..."

...really means, so we also know what...

"I’m not for one minute suggesting that Paul Barber, or anyone else at the club is controlling or censoring the forum but..."

...really means, particularly as Harty came out and stated it on Friday night - he believed the club steer content on NSC.

I'm getting very tired of trying to justify what surely must be one of the most transparently run forums that exists.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To say that doesn't change the way it is moderated to some degree is non sensical.

I disagree, I think we have always sought to be as liberal as possible in allowing people to post their views, subject to

(a) Our understanding of the libel laws (which are a bit hazy), which have been applied reasonably consistently, and
(b) The constraints put upon the board by Google Ads, which have been far more restrictive than anything to do with libel.

There have been times when we have had to be more zealous than others, such as 'Poogate', and it's of great credit to everyone on NSC that they, IMO, made our job as mods pretty straightforward in this regard.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Poogate, Harty and everything else you can remove/ban to your hearts content BUT whatever happened to a thread full of beautiful women? Now that was SUPERB.

:(

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Was that from Harty or the phone sex line you use to cheer yourself up whenever the Albion don't win at home?

Those cheerleaders have to supplement their income somehow :ohmy:

Feb 14, 2010
My two penneth:-

1. For the size o the support this club has always been able to command, BHA have to be the most unsuccessful club in the country with one Charity Shield in 1910 and one FA Cup final appearance in 1983.
2. Some Brighton fans like to be negative and hold Brighton to standards without true comparisons.For example I see some fans on here moaing that the club disclose tickets sold not bums on seats but they fail to mention that all other clubs do exactly the same. The also point out Brighton could get crowds of 14000 at times in the top flight in the early 80s. They fail to mention that at the same time Arsenal were getting 18000 at times and when palace dropped to the second tier they went down to 4000. I wish people would compare like with like.
3. The club went into serial decline from 1984 onwards, then there was Archer, the loss of the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean. The job Tony Bloom has done to put the club back to where it was in the 1970s means that Barber is right. The fans have nothing to moan about with the Chairman.
4. As for Barber. He doesnt buy the payers or pick the team and he does not kick a ball. The people who are at fault are (as usual with BHA) the players, managers and the director of football.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
it's my name that sits behind NSC. If you are happy to gamble with your own finances and the home of your children etc then go and set up your own site and allow all manner of potentially libellous content to be written. It's very easy to be reckless if you don't believe there is any risk to yourself.
I thought you had set up a shell company which actually owned NSC to protect yourself from this sort of thing. There used to be a note right at the bottom of the home page - something like "so and so ltd trading as NSC" (I've forgotten the actual details), but it disappeared after one of the upgrades.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Obviously it would appear that NSC is being more highly regulated because there have been a lot more high profile news stories in the last few months. Couple this with everybody being a bit more willing to take legal action then you are bound to see more censorship being applied.

We have entered a new era in terms of what can and can't be said on social media and NSC needs to be aware of this so it is actually self imposed censorship rather than someone from the outside wielding a big stick

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Poogate, Harty and everything else you can remove/ban to your hearts content BUT whatever happened to a thread full of beautiful women? Now that was SUPERB.

:(
We want Jamie back, unedited. Bet that was Barber's fault too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here