Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty can you please explain to me what a window licker is?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The other problem with contexts is that people tend to hear what they want to hear. At no point did Harty say NSC is full of windowlickers. Yet that is what keeps being said here and the reason why many, including those with previous themselves, are full of knee jerk reactionary comments which in truth are not justified.

You're missing the point entirely. Those people who felt aggrieved / precious [depending on your p.o.v] are challenging his use of the term 'licking windows'. Who he was referring to is entirely irrelevent.

You mean NSC DIDN'T get McGhee the sack??????????

I didn't realise he was employed by the BBC, 'the employer' that was referred to.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The trouble is, Dave, that there are some irresponsible keyboard warriors who have come on to this thread to demand his resignation or his sacking.

What is distasteful is that that many of them have form of their own.

Yes but there is a vocal band on here who are not calling for Ian to go because of any indignation, but purely for mischief making....reading this thread bears out that.

If people are genuinely upset, then they will have written their complaints to the BBC.

I know of at least 5 people who were genuinely upset by his ( and Hawsey's) comments. Not because it was aimed at NSC'ers, because the comments were a little close to home. If they feel that strongly about it they will have written to the BBC. If not, they may be just putting it down to a crass statement made at the time. that is THEIR choice.

Hopefully Ian will look back on this, not the "f*** em we can say what we like" comments, but rather those people who are on his side, but concerned at comments he makes and has done in the past, and take it on board.

You're missing the point entirely. Those people who felt aggrieved / precious [depending on your p.o.v] are challenging his use of the term 'licking windows'. Who he was referring to is entirely irrelevent.

I don't think I am missing the point. I agree that it was a crass comment, and that it was something he really shouldn't have said, which he acknowledged himself very quickly. I just think that a lot has been made of a comment which has been continuously and widely misrepresented. Using the term windowlickers is a lot more offensive than suggesting people go and lick some windows, IMO at least.

I didn't realise he was employed by the BBC, 'the employer' that was referred to.

Of course, but you know what I was getting at.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Yes but there is a vocal band on here who are not calling for Ian to go because of any indignation, but purely for mischief making....reading this thread bears out that.

If people are genuinely upset, then they will have written their complaints to the BBC.

I know of at least 5 people who were genuinely upset by his ( and Hawsey's) comments. Not because it was aimed at NSC'ers, because the comments were a little close to home. If they feel that strongly about it they will have written to the BBC. If not, they may be just putting it down to a crass statement made at the time. that is THEIR choice.

Hopefully Ian will look back on this, not the "f*** em we can say what we like" comments, but rather those people who are on his side, but concerned at comments he makes and has done in the past, and take it on board.

Well said Dave, you've summed up my feelings on the matter too :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I don't think I am missing the point. I agree that it was a crass comment, and that it was something he really shouldn't have said, which he acknowledged himself very quickly. I just think that a lot has been made of a comment which has been continuously and widely misrepresented. Using the term windowlickers is a lot more offensive than suggesting people go and lick some windows, IMO at least.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but i think it's equally as bad - it still means the same thing in my book.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but i think it's equally as bad - it still means the same thing in my book.

I think its identical. He meant the very same thing, and I don't understand why anyone pretends otherwise, except perhaps out of loyalty to Harty.

If that's the case they'd be much better taking the 'he did wrong, he is sorry, lets move on' line, than trying to brush it off, pretending he meant something else.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
and me. But I leave you all with this

It was HAWESY that called you Window Lickers, not Harty

If you are going to pile in on this utter binfestry, at least accuse the CORRECT person - SAKE :rant:

Good Day, Im going to start a thread on something nice x
That really got to you? didn't it?
Think you've pointed it out a couple of times:lolol:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
You've been MILFED:

0104stifler.jpg

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

I'm not so sure about that Dave. It sounds earnest but to change the way Harty goes about his work would be to kill the programme for me. Part of it's attraction is wondering when he or Norma Gall (remember his ecxellent "El Abd's a hard little fucker" live gaff?) are going to put their size 10's in it next. Ian's charm is his big heart vs big mouth personality. Love him or hate him very few people are indifferent to him. Surely that's how a presenter/entertainer should be? I'd guarantee the listening figures would plummet if he went precisley because of that. Wouldn't the Royal Family be even duller without Prince Phillip? I don't think anything he has said has been that offensive in the scheme of things and this whole thread is a massive over-reaction.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't think anything he has said has been that offensive in the scheme of things and this whole thread is a massive over-reaction.

so not to be flippant, but you sit in the "f*** em" camp?

Oh great-now we'll have that nice Simon Levenson (SP?) taking over the phone-in with John Lees drafted in to replace Hawsey.

If I was Harty (and I'm not a 'licker'-arse or window variety) I'd say "f*** you lot, you want me out, you've got it. I quit. Call Simon with your views on Saturday and enjoy Leesy's commentary...Hawsey and me-we're outta here".

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
f*** who exactly Dave? I'm not sure what the "f*** em" camp is (I try not to do camps, apart from Devon every summer that is).

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: ( I prefer Cornwall!!!)

Sorry I was being flippant....what I meant was, do you appreciate that what he said may have upset some people and if so can you see why they may want to take it further?

As I say I straddle the fence on this one as I can see both sides of the argument

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Sorry I was being flippant....what I meant was, do you appreciate that what he said may have upset some people and if so can you see why they may want to take it further?

Yes I do. I don't agree with them if they want to take it further but that's their right. My overriding impression of the debate here though is that most of those calling for his head are doing so not out of indignation or offence but out of spite.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes I do. I don't agree with them if they want to take it further but that's their right. My overriding impression of the debate here though is that most of those calling for his head are doing so not out of indignation or offence but out of spite.

I think in most cases that is 100% right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here