Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hard BREXIT

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just because EU laws are so crap everyone else ignores them and doesnt take them seriously its no excuse for us to act like all the other johnny foreigners.
The British thing to do is be polite and courteous and inform them officially that we will be leaving and will officially be ignoring their laws.

Lead by example......its what makes us Great.

We've never been Great. Great Britain is a geographic term, not a political one.

The best thing about our country is our relationships with others. The Commonwealth, the special friendship with America, NATO & what was a Coomon Market.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's possibly what our Govt would like to happen; I can't see France and Germany agreeing to that - hence my prediction
I feel a bet coming on.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We've never been Great. Great Britain is a geographic term, not a political one.

The best thing about our country is our relationships with others. The Commonwealth, the special friendship with America, NATO & what was a Coomon Market.

I disagree
i think we are a Great Nation. Much to be very proud of,some not so much, room for improvement but Great none the less.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Calm down. I didn't say European citizen, I said EU passport.

You did (only state EU Passport)...........Also to be fair he did not mention "Britain" only the word "Great"..

Edit:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
BrExit pretty clearly means Britain leaving the European Union. That is what was on the ballot paper. That is what was voted for by the majority. That is what we will do. It doesn't seem an overly complicated concept.

It's an incredibly complicated concept if you think about it for more than 20 seconds - or longer than most Leave voters thought about their vote.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I disagree
i think we are a Great Nation. Much to be very proud of,some not so much, room for improvement but Great none the less.

Fair enough.

Does that mean there should be a Great USA, Great France and Great Norway too?

Those same comments apply to the vast majority of nations.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just because EU laws are so crap everyone else ignores them and doesnt take them seriously its no excuse for us to act like all the other johnny foreigners.
The British thing to do is be polite and courteous and inform them officially that we will be leaving and will officially be ignoring their laws.

EU laws are great - we wrote most of them, and have therefore been getting other countries in Europe to follow our principles through leading by example. This continues to make us Great ... at least until we leave

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
i was hoping for a response that would show who is currently proposing or promising workers rights and health and safety rights will be reduced after we leave.

I'm sure its fair to say that no-one is proposing or promising that workers rights and health and safety rights will be reduced, but making a prediction that this will happen seems fair enough. A lot of these rights and regulations have only become UK law because they became EU law first, they weren't brought up in the UK parliament; and therefore its not a big step to assume that new EU laws protecting workers may not be reciprocated in a post-Brexit UK. We also know that the EU have taken us to court on things like air pollution, suggesting that there is resistance to maintain these high standards within the UK.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That is kind of what we elect people for, to make decisions in the best interests of the country

Absolutely. I'm not a big fan of referendums. But, if you have one, you ignore it's outcome at your peril. You risk bringing politics into (even more) disrepute...

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Sooner we leave the better, there taking our jobs and now killing our sick and elderliy. Are docs wouldnt turn into murderers but this lot would have your kidneys out for a tenner if they could flog them back home.

View attachment 78330

Regards

DR

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sooner we leave the better, there taking our jobs and now killing our sick and elderliy. Are docs wouldnt turn into murderers but this lot would have your kidneys out for a tenner if they could flog them back home.

View attachment 78330

Regards

DR

That's a good wind up, even from you. Well done.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Now you've had a chance to sober up a bit, and if the hangover allows, what laws specifically do you think are crap?

Drink plenty of liquids and eat something.

larus

A "plan" in terms of what they would aim to end up with......

....... But I totally agree, If we wanted to retain access to the single market, it would depend what conditions would be imposed, which would be subject to negotiation.

And if we want to withdraw totally, there would still be negotiation involved.

My own main concern is that people may have clear ideas of what they want to get out of it, whether Brexiters or Remainers, but it is all in the melting pot, and the uncertainty is likely to become more damaging all the time. For better or worse, the quicker we start sorting it out, the better, because then we at least would know where we stand and what we will have to deal with.

In negotiations, you don't tell the whole world what you'll accept. You keep things quiet and negotiate. Start tough and the compromise.

So, bearing the above in mind, how do you know there is no plan? Because the government hasn't told the world yet? Or because opposition MPs are trying to score cheap party points as they don' know what the governments strategy is?

And, it wasn't May who wanted BREXIT, but she's now in charge and dictating to Johnson, Fox, Davis, etc., so even if they had their own ideas, they aren't in the position to get their way. It's Remainers who didn't prepare (CMD) and it's Remainers now running the plan/negotiations (May).

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Sobered up?

In reality what made us "great" was profiteering from the suffering and death that we inflicted on tens of millions of people during our capitalist driven expansion around the globe during the 17th, 18th & 19th centuries. We don't have the same clout nowadays so we're experiencing the inevitable long post empire glide back into mid table obscurity.

larus

It's an incredibly complicated concept if you think about it for more than 20 seconds - or longer than most Leave voters thought about their vote.

Yeah, well maybe some of the thick people who voted for remain as they were scared of losing their EU Citizenship (we're citizens of the nation state), or others thought they would vote Remain so they could still go on holiday to Europe. Yeah, insane eh. So, don't be a c*nt and patronise people who have made an informed decision just because you lost.

I don't get this constant bleating from the Remain side for another referendum. So, if we had another one and that voted Remain, would you then agree that in a further.1-2 years after that vote, we should have another vote. At what point does it stop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here