Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Happy Shortest Day

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I love the darkness of midwinter - the cold air, the rain, fog and ice - the majesty of nature in stasis - to be reborn anew in spring ... the sheer wonder of the stars at night... the celestial ocean never looks so resplendent... the seas froth and rage, creating art with every turn of the tide.

There is beauty in the darkness.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I love the darkness of midwinter - the cold air, the rain, fog and ice - the majesty of nature in stasis - to be reborn anew in spring ... the sheer wonder of the stars at night... the celestial ocean never looks so resplendent... the seas froth and rage, creating art with every turn of the tide.

I share your love of Winter...I have been looking at this earlier..

Attachments

• 20221223_135909.jpg
    20221223_135909.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The orbit is elliptical, so not all days are 24 hours. This is why we have a leap year. But the OP is of course referring to the length of day light.
That's not why days aren't exactly 24 hours and it's not why we have a leap year (well, days actually being just over 24hours is, but that's not related to the elliptical orbit).
But yes, the OP was obviously referring to daylight.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
If you look closer you can see a football just above the summer solstice point, can't imagine how that got there.
Solly's penalty on Wednesday night :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

May I recommend Kiruna. Around 20 minutes of daylight during the darkest weeks... Some decent Northern Lights though.

northernlights.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I immediately saw a wobbling 7 pin,

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's not why days aren't exactly 24 hours and it's not why we have a leap year (well, days actually being just over 24hours is, but that's not related to the elliptical orbit).
But yes, the OP was obviously referring to daylight.
Fair enough.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The orbit is elliptical, so not all days are 24 hours. This is why we have a leap year. But the OP is of course referring to the length of day light.
I suppose that is the difference between literate and literal.

Day being day. As opposed to night. Yes there is more than one definition of the worda 'day'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fake composite picture been doing the rounds for years on social media
Snopes says miscaptioned. The photo is real, not fake, but only 46 photos, not 48, and were taken in an empty sky, instead of in front of a cathedral.
The figure 8 movement of the sun’s position is called an analemma.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I suppose that is the difference between literate and literal.

Day being day. As opposed to night. Yes there is more than one definition of the worda 'day'.
Had a conversation with a very autistic colleague who took midday to mean the middle of the daylight hours not the middle of the hours of the day. So midday for most people is noon. Midday for him so halfway between sunrise and sunset. His reasoning was noon already has a word so why have another for it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here