Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy Ashes Eve

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A pleasant day in the 20s in Melbourne (better than yesterdays 39!) today on Ashes Eve, the day before the most eagerly anticipated test match series EVER.

Watched a great preview show on one of the Aussie channels last night called 'Ashes to Ashes' (do you see what they've done there?) which was informative and humorous in equal measure.

I digested yet more hype in the sports section of The Age this morning and, it has to be said, the Aussies are showing a lot of respect. Certainly they're not running scared by any measure, but they do believe the baggy greens can be beaten.

I don't though 4-0 to the convicts, IMHO.

I hope to be wrong and I'm going to enjoy the weekend in Brisbane regardless.

Last edited:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think the first test will be really tough for us, but even if we lose this one, I think we will still retain the Ashes. I genuinely believe we can beat them and its going to be a classic.

I'm actually really bloody nervous/excited about the whole thing. Thank f*ck I have Sky + .

Stumpy Tim

I think the Aussies are worried. They were going to change the shape of their side by bringing in Watson until injury hit. Warne is claiming England are negative, and Gilchrist had a bit of a moan this morning. It's going to quality

Jul 5, 2003
London
From what I saw of that 'Ashes to Ashes' programme I thought it was pretty poor.

There was some good analysis plus interesting interviews with former players but too much of it felt like a variety show. What on earth were Westlife on it - they're Irish FFS.
They also had any excuse to plug the numerous sponsors such as Emirates Air, VB, etc.

Talking of VB, my Boony and Beefy dolls are looking impressive on top of my telly, although they haven't spoken without prompting yet.

Can't wait for the cricket to begin though. Writing a thesis in a month is going to be extremely difficult with cricket mania on.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's gonna be a late one tonight, I could be quite bleary eye come tomorrow morning. Oooooh I might get Friday off and watch all of Friday morning's action.

WICKERD!!

Looks like Bell is gonna be okay too.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
If anyone manages to find a link to an online stream, please PM it to me....

PLEASE!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The selection is a bit of a worry. Jones for Reed, I'm not comfortable with, but there do appear to be a number of reports coming out from Down Under that Giles will replace Panesar. If that happens then I really am starting to worry.

We need a spinner who is most likely to get wickets and a keeper who is most likely to hold onto the chances. A few extra runs here and there can soon be lost if we are less effective in the field.

Brisbane is a tough starter, Aussies haven't lost a Test there since 1988, so we shouldn't be too downcast if we go 1-0 down.

I was very confident up until a couple of weeks ago, but Fletchers selections are starting to worry me a lot.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
tedebear said:
and then forgot the five live commentary

Five Live

Thanks.

Not Sure if i'll stay up listening to commentary, but if an illegal 'watch now' link pops up, I might just be tempted;)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gritt23 said:
The selection is a bit of a worry. Jones for Reed, I'm not comfortable with, but there do appear to be a number of reports coming out from Down Under that Giles will replace Panesar. If that happens then I really am starting to worry.

We need a spinner who is most likely to get wickets and a keeper who is most likely to hold onto the chances. A few extra runs here and there can soon be lost if we are less effective in the field.

Brisbane is a tough starter, Aussies haven't lost a Test there since 1988, so we shouldn't be too downcast if we go 1-0 down.

I was very confident up until a couple of weeks ago, but Fletchers selections are starting to worry me a lot.

I think Fletcher wants to secure a draw out of the Brisbane test and have anything more as a bonus. You have to say that with Jones and Giles we do bat that bit deeper and if they can perform then it's not that much of a gamble at this stage. The danger is that they won't! Look at the Guardian blogs, very interesting stuff.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Only 2 Kerry Mayos said:
From what I saw of that 'Ashes to Ashes' programme I thought it was pretty poor.

There was some good analysis plus interesting interviews with former players but too much of it felt like a variety show. What on earth were Westlife on it - they're Irish FFS.
They also had any excuse to plug the numerous sponsors such as Emirates Air, VB, etc.

Talking of VB, my Boony and Beefy dolls are looking impressive on top of my telly, although they haven't spoken without prompting yet.

Can't wait for the cricket to begin though. Writing a thesis in a month is going to be extremely difficult with cricket mania on.

Ah the Boony and Beefy dolls. Legendary!!!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Withdean Wanderer said:
Thanks.

Not Sure if i'll stay up listening to commentary, but if an illegal 'watch now' link pops up, I might just be tempted;)

We've got sky so I can stay up and watch but not sure I want to, too nervewracking!...From all I've read and spoken with family at home, nobody is sure whats going to happen!! I'll get up early and catch the end of the days play I think...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I think Fletcher wants to secure a draw out of the Brisbane test and have anything more as a bonus. You have to say that with Jones and Giles we do bat that bit deeper and if they can perform then it's not that much of a gamble at this stage. The danger is that they won't! Look at the Guardian blogs, very interesting stuff.

I wonder if this is a strategy JUST for this test then. it's a favourite ground for the Aussies, and they expect to start with a win, especially as they have built themselves up to the point where the Aussie public virtually EXPECT a 4-0 or a complete whitewash. Possibly - especially as needing a draw at the Oval, the injury to Jones saw us replace him with an extra batsman.

However, I'm never so sure that you can go out a play for a draw from day one in Tests these days, especially at the run rates England and Australia play at. If we weaken ourselves in the way we appear to be doing, then that increases the chances of Australia racking up a big score, allowing them to throw the ball to Warne and surround the batsman. That doesn't sound like a way to get a draw to me.

We should be playing the best wicket-keeper, AND certainly the best spinner.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gritt23 said:
I wonder if this is a strategy JUST for this test then. it's a favourite ground for the Aussies, and they expect to start with a win, especially as they have built themselves up to the point where the Aussie public virtually EXPECT a 4-0 or a complete whitewash. Possibly - especially as needing a draw at the Oval, the injury to Jones saw us replace him with an extra batsman.

However, I'm never so sure that you can go out a play for a draw from day one in Tests these days, especially at the run rates England and Australia play at. If we weaken ourselves in the way we appear to be doing, then that increases the chances of Australia racking up a big score, allowing them to throw the ball to Warne and surround the batsman. That doesn't sound like a way to get a draw to me.

We should be playing the best wicket-keeper, AND certainly the best spinner.

I don't see playing Giles and Jones (two Ashes winners) as that much of a weakening after a bit of thought. The thing about Giles is that he is actually a decent turner now who can bat. Panesar will bowl more wicket taking deliveries but the experience of winning the Ashes is with Giles. Read should definitely be keeping though.

The Aussies are not as confident as they make out. Their bowling attack in inexperienced and McGrath is getting on, no matter what anyone says. If we can get a draw out of this game and sow some seeds of doubt then anything could happen. In the last Ashes we got better with time and confidence and that could well happen again. Whatever happens it's going to be bloody exciting. Roll on 12am.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I don't see playing Giles and Jones (two Ashes winners) as that much of a weakening after a bit of thought. The thing about Giles is that he is actually a decent turner now who can bat. Panesar will bowl more wicket taking deliveries but the experience of winning the Ashes is with Giles. Read should definitely be keeping though.

The Aussies are not as confident as they make out. Their bowling attack in inexperienced and McGrath is getting on, no matter what anyone says. If we can get a draw out of this game and sow some seeds of doubt then anything could happen. In the last Ashes we got better with time and confidence and that could well happen again. Whatever happens it's going to be bloody exciting. Roll on 12am.

Inexperienced? McGrath, Warne, Brett Lee??

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Sorry, should have said after those three.

True - Clark, Johnson and Tait have little or no experience between them. They also sound quick and hostile though, sounds like the Aussies are gonna take the same approach with their seam attack as we did last Ashes - "bounce 'em out".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here