Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy Ashes Eve

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think that will be the case with Freddie and Pieterson for sure. They both get out too much on the hook.

I can't wait for tonight. Even reading build up blogs and articles gets me going.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Mahmood speaks....

Not long to go until the start, and the atmosphere here is reaching fever pitch. Over the last week or so I've been getting a funny, surreal feeling about the fact that it's the Ashes, like we're not really here and it's all a bit of a dream. But in the last couple of days I've actually started to feel the pressure, even though I know I might not be playing tomorrow. I don't want to sound paranoid but it feels like everyone's watching you.

Just being here is awesome. I was speaking to Monty [Panesar] the other day and saying how a year ago I was playing second-team cricket. And not long before that I was stacking shelves at Morrisons. Now it's the Ashes. After what happened last year between the two sides I really have to pinch myself. I do belong here. If and when the opportunity arises I can't wait to take it.

There's a real belief in the camp that Australia are there for the taking. Everyone's confident now. We had two pretty good three-day games in which everyone got runs and wickets, and even Harmy looked good in the nets despite missing the match against South Australia. People are peaking at the right time.

The players are all aware of the importance of the series but then you can't exactly get away from it when every random Aussie on the street is telling you that it's going to be a long summer and you'll need all the luck you can get. We haven't really spoken whether we go about things differently now that we hold the Ashes. The boys have got to avoid putting extra pressure on themselves. I know it sounds crazy but we've got to treat Brisbane like a normal game. We've just got to make sure we play as a unit and everything should be fine.

Whether I'll be part of that unit to start with is another matter. I didn't bowl that well in the second dig against South Australia but I feel it's coming out all right in the nets. It looks like Jimmy Anderson will play instead of me but he's bowling well, so good luck to him. I just have to keep preparing as if I'm going to play, because it starts to affect your game if you think otherwise. But I didn't do my cause any harm with that 41 in the second innings at Adelaide, especially as I was batting with the captain at the time. Freddie just said make sure you get a few, because we need some runs down the order as well. Bat properly. You've got a couple of hours, so make the most of it. People are worried about our tail but all our guys are capable.

Shane Warne might not agree with that but you've got to ignore the press talk. I saw his comments in the local papers about Geraint and Ashley but that's just the way the Aussies go about things - trying to play with your heads. You've got to try to block things out and just accept that the press out here are not too friendly with the English team.

It might be a cliche but I prefer to do my talking on the pitch. Of course we have plans for all the Australian batsmen and we need to stick to them. I don't want to give too much away but it goes without saying that we'll be targeting Adam Gilchrist from around the wicket again. Fred did it last summer and it was a real confidence booster for me when I got him like that during the Champions Trophy in India. It's the sort of thing you can keep working on.

We had a bit of a scare yesterday when Jimmy hit Ian Bell on the forearm with a back-of-a-length ball. It didn't get up as much as Belly expected, he lost sight of it and it nipped back a bit as well. Luckily the x-ray revealed no fracture, and I think he'll play. It would have been a huge blow to have lost him so soon after losing Marcus Trescothick.

As for Monty, I know there's some talk of him not playing but he's keeping his spirits up, no problem. Every net session he'll come up to the batters and the coach and say, what do you need me to do? He's improving with every game that has gone on and his preparation is top notch.

I've just been hanging out with the lads and trying to make the evenings go by a bit quicker. I don't read much - some of the others think I can't read at all - and I'm not a film man, so it's not always easy.

I've just got to make sure I'm ready to go tomorrow. Even if it means getting a load of abuse from the crowd just for carrying out the drinks as 12th man.

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
couple of questions

A i know that i read BBC were showing highlights etc is that the case?
B when are we expecting the team announcement british time

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I don't see playing Giles and Jones (two Ashes winners) as that much of a weakening after a bit of thought. The thing about Giles is that he is actually a decent turner now who can bat. Panesar will bowl more wicket taking deliveries but the experience of winning the Ashes is with Giles. Read should definitely be keeping though.

The Aussies are not as confident as they make out. Their bowling attack in inexperienced and McGrath is getting on, no matter what anyone says. If we can get a draw out of this game and sow some seeds of doubt then anything could happen. In the last Ashes we got better with time and confidence and that could well happen again. Whatever happens it's going to be bloody exciting. Roll on 12am.

I don't think "experience of winning the Ashes" counts for a thing. How many of the side had that in the summer of 2005? NONE!

They are being picked because they are Fletcher's favourites and that is very damaging to morale. Added to the fact that giles is far less likely to bowl us to a victory than Monty, and there is unbelievable pressure on Jones having been selected ahead of Reed.

Based on their averages (and Jones is falling rapidly), Giles and Jones will give us 15-20 extra runs per innings, but with Monty bowling and Reed catching I think we would easily be chasing 30-40 runs per innings less.

i just cannot understand this decision, and I sincerely hope the reports about Giles are wrong. Monty MUST play.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Gritt23 said:
I don't think "experience of winning the Ashes" counts for a thing. How many of the side had that in the summer of 2005? NONE!

They are being picked because they are Fletcher's favourites and that is very damaging to morale. Added to the fact that giles is far less likely to bowl us to a victory than Monty, and there is unbelievable pressure on Jones having been selected ahead of Reed.

Based on their averages (and Jones is falling rapidly), Giles and Jones will give us 15-20 extra runs per innings, but with Monty bowling and Reed catching I think we would easily be chasing 30-40 runs per innings less.

i just cannot understand this decision, and I sincerely hope the reports about Giles are wrong. Monty MUST play.

But the rationale behind Giles is that Brisbane is a fast bouncy wicket, suitable for the quicks rather than the spinners. Whilst monty is a match winner on a lot of pitches this is expected not to be one of them. Also he hasn't exactly set the world alight in the 2 warm up games. Apparently Adelaide suited the spinners and he only got a couple of wickets. He'll be back by the 2nd test match.

As Aggers says, if England are 250 for 5 which is a reasonable position and then eother Freddie or Jones gets out, then we could be 275 all out. That sounds depressing.

For me it has become a 50:50 on Monty/Gilo. I was well in favour of Monty up to a week ago.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hadn't realised Brizzy was such a happy hunting ground for the home team. I'd deffo play Giles in those circumstances.

As for Jones/Reed, the selection must have been too close to call. But Jones grew up in Brisbane and will be proper fired up for this one. If Jones doesn't perform in this test, I reckon he could be out on his arse for the rest of the series.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a telephone call to make. I'm going to DEMAND Test match coverage from NTL. Marvellous.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Seagull over NZ said:
I was well in favour of Monty up to a week ago.

And what has Gilo done in the last week to change your mind?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
For coverage on your pc go on link below. It costs but it does work. I've watched a few games of cricket and football. I do believe its actually a legal site

http://www.livesportson.tv/

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
I heard on the radio that apparently Brisbane is our best chance of a victory because the serface suits our bowlers. Dispite their good record, im confident we can get atleat a draw. However if we loose then im worried it could be 5-zip. Not sure who should play out of Gilo and monty, Both have thier merits. Its 50/50.

And the sun is just rising over Brisbane with the dawn chorus in full voice.

Temp currently around 17c with an expected high of 27

The stripes are laid out ready to be worn with pride as the anticipated local hostility on and off the field gathers pace.

Watched a preview programme last night and the Ozzies are so far up their own arses that they almost forgot to mention anything about England.

I am expecting a drubbing but you never know - a good first session and Mr Ponting and co could be in for a bit of a shock

Still who cares about the result when you've got a licensed bar all day in this sort of weather and scantily clad young ladies to enjoy.

Come on you Poms :drink: :drink: :drink:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Please Mr Harmison. Show us you've saved up all your best and most dangerous bowling for this match. And all that spraying the ball all over the shop earlier in the year was just for a laugh. Many thanks. Ponting's throat would be a good place to start your enquiries. Obviously followed by the one on a length.

Last edited:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
NS Herald said:
You're nervous - I can't find my ticket.......

Only joking - leaving for the ground by bus at 7.45 - should be there around 8.45 and then time to soak in the atmosphere before play commences shortly followed by opening time at the bar.

G'day mate :drink: :drink:

You very lucky bastard, have a great time.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
just woke up after a 3hour power nap after work. Probably wont make the whole night tonight but plan on sleeping all day tomorrow to watch it all after....wickedness!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ooooh not long to go now.

The office is very quiet so far this morning - I think a lot of people have the day off.

It's going to be difficult sitting here relying on t'internet to keep me informed.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Bozza said:
Ooooh not long to go now.

The office is very quiet so far this morning - I think a lot of people have the day off.

It's going to be difficult sitting here relying on t'internet to keep me informed.

Do the Aussies have any websites that are showing it?

*prays*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here