Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Wrong. Utterly wrong. Gus has seriously gone down in my estimation today.

Leaving aside the use of the phrase "people of colour", which is damning enough, he seems to be suggesting that as Uruguayans treat blacks differently (to how Britons do) we should accept that Suarez might say something we disagree with. Eh?! Cultural difference is being cited as a reason for accepting (alleged) racism? What a load of tosh.

I'm hugely embarrassed as a Brighton fan, it does nothing for our image, and it undermines our complaints about homophobic chanting. "We treat gays differently where I come from, so you will just have to accept my abusive language towards them."

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Leaving aside the use of the phrase "people of colour", which is damning enough, he seems to be suggesting that as Uruguayans treat blacks differently (to how Britons do) we should accept that Suarez might say something we disagree with. Eh?! Cultural difference is being cited as a reason for accepting (alleged) racism? What a load of tosh.

I'm hugely embarrassed as a Brighton fan, it does nothing for our image, and it undermines our complaints about homophobic chanting. "We treat gays differently where I come from, so you will just have to accept my abusive language towards them."

Pfft..suggest you go elsewhere ....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Poyet made a mistake on getting involved in this debate, so a bad decision I think.

With Gus you are going to get a man who will say what he thinks.....he is mentor to the Liverpool player so feels he has the right to say something....like it lump it...things won't change

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Have you deliberately misunderstood what Gus said just to be controversial?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So...children in need.

One direction were a bit crap but this bird singing over the rainbow is good

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

People are getting a bit precious about this. Gus said players of different colour. People do have to remember english is not his native tongue and he, as we all know, can be a little wrong with certain terminology. Normally though people chuckle at his attempts at some of the phases.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Sorry but totally out of order

Just heard it on Radio 5 and was shocked!

Big difference calling someone a South american than a N**** or C**n .

Its a bit like calling someone a twit rather than a C**t

Should have kept out of it Gus

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Interesting article on the Inde last week. Seems that Suarez called Evra a Negrita which in South American parlance is a term of endearment ran slated as 'my little black friend'.

Poyet knows Suarez and would not have put his head on the line without due prior consideration.
He also has only said that he believes Sarez not to be a racist. He hasn't done a Blatter and stated that there is no racism in football.

Christ, can't a man make a statement anymore without some f*****g PC w*****s getting their knickers in a twist.

I am not a racist but have serious concerns about our importation of low wage non Brits to take jobs in the UK. Doesn't make me a racist having a point of view that is counter to that of the PC brigade does it?

End of this nonsense please.

TNBA

TTF

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
People are getting a bit precious about this. Gus said players of different colour. People do have to remember english is not his native tongue and he, as we all know, can be a little wrong with certain terminology. Normally though people chuckle at his attempts at some of a phases.

It's hard enough when you're British born and bred and have lived here all your life. When I was a little boy negro was THE polite and acceptable term; black was seen as derogatory. By the time I was in my late teens the reverse had become true.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Sorry but totally out of order

Just heard it on Radio 5 and was shocked!

Big difference calling someone a South american than a N**** or C**n .

Its a bit like calling someone a twit rather than a C**t

Should have kept out of it Gus

I suspect Gus sensored the exact language used. Apparantly, the Spanish can be a little more 'blunt' in this respect.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

sorry, but have you read the interview?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Interesting article on the Inde last week. Seems that Suarez called Evra a Negrita which in South American parlance is a term of endearment ran slated as 'my little black friend'.

Poyet knows Suarez and would not have put his head on the line without due prior consideration.
He also has only said that he believes Sarez not to be a racist. He hasn't done a Blatter and stated that there is no racism in football.

Christ, can't a man make a statement anymore without some f*****g PC w*****s getting their knickers in a twist.

I am not a racist but have serious concerns about our importation of low wage non Brits to take jobs in the UK. Doesn't make me a racist having a point of view that is counter to that of the PC brigade does it?

TNBA

TTF

So you don't think its racist calling some one my little "black " friend?

If someone called you a little "Gay" boy I think you would say something if you were gay or not.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Gus and Suarez have grown up in a country that does not look at racism as we do and i can understand that they are out of step with the majority of people in this country.
I have lived in England all my life yet am confused as to what can be accepted,for example the president of the USA IS stated to be the first black President yet he is hardly black, recently Tiger Woods one time caddy suggested that he should push something up his black back passage, he is about the same colour as the President yet he was accussed of being a racist, so let us not be too critical of Gus.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007

TNBA

TTF

Clearly the answer to the question in your third paragraph is no.
I'm afraid this week's furore has far less to do with fighting racism than with sanctimonious people falling over each other to be more self-righteous than the next man or woman.
Pillorying Suarez or Terry for words spoken in the heat of the moment, or Poyet for words spoken in defence of his friend, won't move the fight against racism forward, but it will make a lot of people feel oh so superior.

D

Deleted member 2719

So you don't think its racist calling some one my little "black " friend?

If someone called you a little "Gay" boy I think you would say something if you were gay or not.

The problem is people are so sensitive now days they need to take it on the chin and just get on with it.

Everyone has some sort of hang up that can be exploited and people have always picked on what their weak points, people should rise above it and just get on with it rather than cry like babies, it's all rather pathetic, no wonder this country is now such a soft touch.

I support Gus he still speaks the truth.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
The problem is people are so sensitive now days they need to take it on the chin and just get on with it.

Everyone has some sort of hang up that can be exploited and people have always picked on what their weak points, people should rise above it and just get on with it rather than cry like babies, it's all rather pathetic, no wonder this country is now such a soft touch.

Probably for the 1st time ever, Mouldy, i'm with you. IMO Gus has done nothing wrong apart from be totally honest. The problem is he has not the language skills to get it across.
I am not in any way supporting racism because I do not believe he was being racist.
The problem is that on here, people love to be outraged, be it about Gus or the club throwing people out.
What do they want exactly? a new manager?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You're not Gus' PR advisor are you?

If you are, you're doing a shite job!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here