Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet on Alan Brazils Sports Breakfast

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Alan Brazil was going on about Brighton & Gus Poyet this morning (wed).
he was saying how great he thought Brighton was and wanted us back in the good times and was saying that the Goldstone was a GREAT ground, Not sure if that was tongue in cheek.

I'm sure I remember Mark Lawrenson saying the Goldstone pitch was one of the best he'd ever played on - at a time when the majority of surfaces were unplayable by February - - Maybe Mr Brazil has fond memories of it because of that?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
There was a poll amongst players in the early 70's about favourite/best pitch. As I remember Portman Road was top and The Goldstone was second.

Ipswich have always won those "best pitch" polls over the years. Stuff just grows like crazy in East Anglia. It just does.

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Shame talksport is a shit radio station, he'd have got better questions on five live.

LOL - what a sweeping statement!
The questions from FiveLive would likely be patronising, a la:
"why would you even want to go to lowly Brighton"

.. personally i prefer TalkSport's rawness and 'bloke on the street' type questioning.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I used to love that opening game fixture at the goldstone. The pitch was always immaculate. Like carpet it was

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I used to love that opening game fixture at the goldstone. The pitch was always immaculate. Like carpet it was

Very true that - much-missed truly dedicated servant of the club Frank Howard never did anything less than an utterly magnificent job on it.

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
Best time of the season was the first handful of games....i was a ball boy and sat in front of the southstand....from the mid eighties..... the grass was like a carpet, and to see the roar of the north stand was fantastic, still get goose bumbs thinking about it.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
LOL - what a sweeping statement!
The questions from FiveLive would likely be patronising, a la:
"why would you even want to go to lowly Brighton"

.. personally i prefer TalkSport's rawness and 'bloke on the street' type questioning.

Spot on.
Most of the time Five Live is inane, repetitive and Premier dominated.
Occasional good features on Football League but most programmes presented
by hyper men and giggly women with a limited knowledge of sporting issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here