Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus getting 'Fed up'

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Great to see him accepting full responsibility for the Villa result and not trying to shift blame elsewhere. What a guy! ;-)

He's clearly feeling the pressure, because his response is quite different to when much the same happened here.

Then he was all "Its my responsibility. I've told the players to play it around at the back. Inevitably an occasional mistake will happen, but I want them to take those risks".

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
telling the nation and his bosses and players he is "fed up" is typical Gus being unprofessional - imagine if you heard your boss say that - very demoralising.

i think as another poster alluded too, he will go all out in the league cup to tout himself.

i can't see him being at sunderland in the summer.

i totally hope they go down, but i want it to be a slow painful death - werein they always have some hope until they keep getting kicked down.

if i was on £7k a week (my guess at what bridcutt is on) - i wouldnt swap that for 20k a week if it meant living in sunderland and having 40k people screaming murder at me every other week.

in a few months we could be promoted and they could be down, and bridcutt would look a right plonker.......tho with a fat wallet.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He's clearly feeling the pressure, because his response is quite different to when much the same happened here.

Then he was all "Its my responsibility. I've told the players to play it around at the back. Inevitably an occasional mistake will happen, but I want them to take those risks".

That is true. I remember that clearly. WTF happened to him!?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But nobody forced him to come out and say what he did, or do whatever he did do, to get himself sent packing from Village Way, did they? I've said it before, but I think if he had kept quiet, and got on with the job at hand, he would now be managing a team that was in the Premier League, but not rooted to the foot of it. Sadly, for him, "Radio" simply can't help himself.

I agree that he was the master of his own downfall but I am saying he ended up leaving on our terms not his.

The only clubs who have vacancies at the start or midway through the season are going to be the struggling ones. He would still be in a relegation battle moving to the Prem because that is where all the vacancies have been.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Instead of telling Tony he wanted to go as soon as possible in March he should have kept his gob shut and waited until the end of the season. Admittedly it would have left us in a mess this season but time would have been in Gus's favour with all the sackings which occurred in the Premier League.

Yep, but his first mistake was signing an extention to his contract.

I don't think he really wanted to leave in March but he chose to tell Bloom he wanted to go to put pressure on him to get a bigger budget and to have more say in how the club is run. He probably thought that if he went we would never find a replacement and Bloom would cave in to his demands, I think you call it a bluff in poler terms.

If he really wanted to leave he could have said he would be leaving at the end of the season and I am giving you notice and time to find a replacement.

It's more like the boy who cried wolf story where he got eaten in the end.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With the benefit of hindsight a very small part of me is beginning to feel sorry for Gus. What must he have been thinking watching Rene Meulensteen's Fulham get trounced 6-0 by Hull City - that job would have suited him down to the ground, as would West Brom. He clearly under-estimated the extent of the challenge at Sunderland too.

Having read through many of the comments on the Sunderland message board, it's clear that one of the problems he's got that he didn't have at the Albion is that there are lots of mediocre players on big money that don't want to leave. A lot of those players aren't good enough to play the Gus way either. Significantly, managers are given less time in the Prem because there's so much more at stake financially. It's going to take Gus at least 2 transfer windows to clear out the dross and bring in players that will fit his style, then those players will need to gel. It is as much a "project" at Sunderland as it ever was at the Albion.

The question now is whether the chairman has the patience for that, and whether the egos involved can survive a relegation. I don't believe Gus went to The Stadium Of Light to get relegated, rebuild and get promoted again but right now that's probably the best he can hope for.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree that he was the master of his own downfall but I am saying he ended up leaving on our terms not his.

The only clubs who have vacancies at the start or midway through the season are going to be the struggling ones. He would still be in a relegation battle moving to the Prem because that is where all the vacancies have been.

Tottenham? who appointed a rookie are not relegation strugglers. I firmly believe if he'd stayed with us and just got on with his job, he could have landed himself that plum job, much to our angst.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Tottenham? who appointed a rookie are not relegation strugglers. I firmly believe if he'd stayed with us and just got on with his job, he could have landed himself that plum job, much to our angst.

I don't really think even Spurs would have targeted him. Not many managers jump from the Championship to the Prem without previous Prem experience.

If he had managed to do what Brendon Rogers did, win promotion and do well in the Prem, then we can talk about getting a top job. Even with Wigan getting relegated Martinez was still head hunted because he plays attracive football and is a real gent.

Unfortunately for Gus he wanted to jump the queue and not have to do the promotion rubbish that he sees as below him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't really think even Spurs would have targeted him. Not many managers jump from the Championship to the Prem without previous Prem experience.

If he had managed to do what Brendon Rogers did, win promotion and do well in the Prem, then we can talk about getting a top job. Even with Wigan getting relegated Martinez was still head hunted because he plays attracive football and is a real gent.

Unfortunately for Gus he wanted to jump the queue and not have to do the promotion rubbish that he sees as below him.

If he'd had his mind on the job on that fateful night we may well have ended up in the Premier League. I watched him closely and he showed virtually no emotion and was not the same manager he had been or is at Sunderland now. Where was the histrionics from the touch line that is his trade mark? Could he have been SULKING?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If he'd had his mind on the job on that fateful night we may well have ended up in the Premier League. I watched him closely and he showed virtually no emotion and was not the same manager he had been or is at Sunderland now. Where was the histrionics from the touch line that is his trade mark? Could he have been SULKING?

Amongst everything, this is the one thing that I really struggle to forgive him for.

Our biggest match since 1991, against our biggest rivals, and he decides that he'll have a sulk. Arms folded, total disinterest and disengagement from the match.

We had no manager that night, and something must have happened between the 2 playoff legs to explain it.

Happily no longer our problem.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Yep, that fateful night and let's also not forget the total 180 minutes without scoring. If we lost the semis 2-1 or 3-2 or even lost on penalties we may have been able to rationalise our bad luck, but not scoring over the two games was poor.

We may have lost anyway, that's football, but he didn't seem mentally prepared. It's almost like he said to the team "just go out there and play the way I've been teaching you, it's in your hands now."

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Looked like gus was sulking against Villa, just sat back in the dug-out and did little even though only a goal down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here