Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus getting 'Fed up'

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
At the end of the day, they may not be the worst team in the prem, but I don't see 3 teams worse than them, so there's really only one outcome. I don't see them doing enough decent business in Jan to change that.

It does put Gus in an awkward position though, he can't really afford to leave them. If he left them voluntarily before the summer, it would look v.bad, and if they are relegated it would look v.bad. Unless he can keep them up somehow, he's certainly not going to get another prem job unless he takes another championship team and gets them promoted.

West Ham, Fulham and Palace are all worse. Norwich, Cardiff are no better. Gus will keep Sunderland up.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
West Ham, Fulham and Palace are all worse. Norwich, Cardiff are no better. Gus will keep Sunderland up.

At this point in time, I would say, Palace, yes, West Ham possibly. Fulham & Norwich will have no problems. Cardiff are debatable depending on who they bring in to manage them. I would not put a penny on them saying up, but of course it is possible.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He's fed up. What a shame. And frankly, who cares?

It would appear to be the Gus haters who care - after all every time there is a blip or defeat at Sunderland they fall over themselves to start a thread on here about it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Err, no. It's the gutless players Poyet's having no choice but to play we're restless with.

You clearly haven't read that thread then. There are plenty displeased with Poyet's team selection, substitutions, tactics and post match comments.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I would actually say the one thing massively in Gus' favour is that there are a lot of poor teams in contention to go down this season. Every team from Hull in 10th is still realistically a contender for the bottom three. There are plenty of teams Sunderland are just as useless as - Palace, Cardiff, Norwich, Fulham, West Ham, Stoke, Hull. The problem is they're at least four, and as many as nine, points behind those in safe positions. It's an obvious thing to say, but what they really need to do is to win two or three out of a run of four matches as that's the only way to make any progress at the bottom. However, with their run of away fixtures, it is hard to see how it can happen. Having got an incredible result at Everton on Boxing Day, they've just blown a great chance to do it by taking only a point from Cardiff and Villa. It all means Gus is going to have to mastermind a series of home results that reads something like P9 W6 D2 L1 from their remaining games, but the fact they've failed to win (or even score) against Villa and Norwich in their last two home matches suggests that is going to be hard.

I don't see stoke in the bracket at all, and surprisingly not Hull either the way they're playing. I've already given my opinion on the others, and it doesn't change my opinion at all that Sunderland will go down. Not that I care one bit either way.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This quote is very telling:

"The ball barely left our half for the first 5 mins. Passing around back and forth with the back 7. Back 4, Catts, Jack and Ki. This tippy tappy keeping the ball isnt constructive football when its confined to your own half. If Gus wants fans to cheer when we score or win. Go oooh at near misses. Then he has to put up with Aaargh at mistakes and frustration of lack of forward momentum. Gans with the job. And this possession shit is Sky and Co bollocks stats to discuss ower. The goals count at the end is the only one that puts points on the board".

There's no doubt Gus has a 'signature style' and it's playing out at Sunderland exactly as it did with us. Need to find another couple of strings for that bow, eh Gussie!

Similar comments from BHA fans after 10 games or so of Gus, and it all played out rather well with us after that. He's certainly got a tougher job here though.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Poyet just can't accept anything that might damage his reputation/ego.

However, there are three worse teams then Sunderland. Fulham, West Ham and I think Cardiff with an inexperienced (even more so than Gus in terms management in England) will be getting relegated.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, I still think Gus will keep Sunderland up: his (overly-defencive) tactics will work in time; even if they gifted Villa the points last time out, I expect that to be a very rare occurrence.

However, his press conferences already starting to p1ss off some Sunderland fans: I'm not surprised one bit. Oh, and Gus, keep your grubby gross-misconduct-stained hands off of our best players.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I find the hatred towards someone who took us from relegation threatened in League One to the Championship playoffs somewhat staggering.

Especially as I imagine 99% of people who seem to dislike him don't even know the reason why he was dismissed.

Very odd but then this is football so I suppose logic goes out the window.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I find the hatred towards someone who took us from relegation threatened in League One to the Championship playoffs somewhat staggering.

Especially as I imagine 99% of people who seem to dislike him don't even know the reason why he was dismissed.

Could it be that some people resent the way he bahaved (or at east the way they believe he may have behaved) around the time of the March Palace game and the semi-final and thereafter?

He did well - with a decent budget - and then shat on his reputation - a number of times - from a great height. I can understand the resentment.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Interestingly, I find the blind allegiance to "The Ego" by supporters of his ex-club - one he left acrimoniously under an uncontested gross misconduct charge - astounding. So, yes, logic does seem to have gone out of the window.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Could it be that some people resent the way he bahaved (or at east the way they believe he may have behaved) around the time of the March Palace game and the semi-final and thereafter?

He did well - with a decent budget - and then shat on his reputation - a number of times - from a great height. I can understand the resentment.

I think that RESENTMENT is a much, much better description than HATRED.

Gus did a fantastic job here. Anyone denying that is being daft. However it really was a dream job for him. Realistic expectation levels, yet a decent budget, new stadium, supportive chairman, etc. Gus and the Albion were equally good for each other.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Hardly hatred is it? I've got no respect for someone who actively touted for other jobs while employed by us, but it's hardly hatred. Why any Brighton fan would want Sunderland to succeed is beyond me - the worse their plight the less attractive they will be to the Bridcutts of this world.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Interestingly, I find the blind allegiance to "The Ego" by supporters of his ex-club - one he left acrimoniously under an uncontested gross misconduct charge - astounding. So, yes, logic does seem to have gone out of the window.

No blind alliegence here.

From a purely footballing point of view I recognise him as a good manager for us whilst he was here.

He has now gone and does not manage us, therefore I no longer support him....but It's completely different to be actively wishing him bad...which again is very odd to me as a supporter of a club with no hatred/dislike of Sunderland.

And i agree with the posts that perhaps resentment is a better word than hatred....but again I can't hold resentment against a guy who did so much for us.

Perhaps I'm just TOO nice :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here