Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus gets the boot

Haha yeah HAVE THAT Gus.

I hated how you got us from the bottom of league one to the top end of the Championship playing the best football ive seen us play and bringing ex Spanish international superstars to Brighton.

And now youve got the boot with just your millions of pounds of compensation and the inevitable job at QPR.

REVENGE

:lolol:

Blessed are the sane voices of NSC

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Precious. We are a small club no matter what anyone thinks. Of course we are a stepping stone; I'd be worried if we employed a manager who thought that we were the absolute peak of their ambitions.

I couldn't give a monkeys **** if our manager wanted a bigger job as long as we were winning, which we were. Contrary to popular belief we didn't "bottle" the play off semi, we just lost to a better side on the night and didn't play to our full potential. Such is life.

As a club, together with TB, he brought us to life and gave us something to shout and sing about. Since he's gone you'd have thought people would appreciate what he did for us seeing some of tripe served up by Garcia and Hyypia.

This with bells as big as Big Ben on it!

Looks like people are quite happy to rewrite history as we were a shite 3 rd division club bumbling along trying to stay in the division when GUS took over and gave us a team we could all be excited about and led us to two playoffs where with a bit of luck in the palace away game in that first half we could have won and who knows what would have happened at Wembley. His ceiling comments have proved to be right as this regime has tightened the belt and not invested in a team capable of challenging to get into the premiership. Ok we all know that is FFP that we are happy to stay within, but to say he is a shit manager is wide of the mark. He is a decent manager, but to be fair, sunderland are a yo yo club who would never go anywhere or win anything. Keeping them in the premiership is a massive achievement year after year.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't deny that he did well for us but that was on the back of more investment than any other manager at the Albion before him and the euphoria of moving to a new stadium. That's not to say every manager could have done just as well but I also don't believe he was as special as he thinks he is. That said, we will always be a stepping stone for managers and players, always have been but what makes me glad he is failing is the manner in which he departed the club, ie we weren't big enough for him and there were other clubs he always wanted to manage, aka Leeds. There is a right way and a wrong way of going about things and he chose the wrong way.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Absolutely fantastic news. His CV doesn't make great reading these days. Chess will never become a spectator sport.

Management CV.

2009-10 - Steered Brighton to safety
2010-11 - League One winners. LMA manager of the year.
2011-12 - Safety in the Championship
2012-13 - Championship playoff semi finals
2013-14 - Keeps Sunderland in the prem. League Cup final
2014-15 Sacked

I'd say that CV is looking quite healthy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't deny that he did well for us but that was on the back of more investment than any other manager at the Albion before him and the euphoria of moving to a new stadium. That's not to say every manager could have done just as well but I also don't believe he was as special as he thinks he is. That said, we will always be a stepping stone for managers and players, always have been but what makes me glad he is failing is the manner in which he departed the club, ie we weren't big enough for him and there were other clubs he always wanted to manage, aka Leeds. There is a right way and a wrong way of going about things and he chose the wrong way.

But to be honest using that argument, we would only be happy if a manager we had deceided to bugger off to a top 4 prem club, which with GUS was never going to be the case. It was obvious with Barber and Burke, he had had enough and it ended acrimoniously, as a lot of these things do. He was offered a job in the premiership, which he took and at the time I think most of us said good luck to him, but we knew it was the wrong club for him. I think it's a shame it didn't work out for him but I bear no malice towards GUS at all. I think it is a shame for Charlie and tannio, as I have a lot of time for them, especially after the ill informed shit that was aimed at them over poogate.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Management CV.

2014-15 Sacked

That ain't going to impress Chelsea/Spurs too much.

Reckon he'll go abroad now. Spain, probably.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Oh well, these managerial jobs are rarely long term positions, I'm certain he'll find other employment soon.

I reckon Hughton could have done an equally impressive job as Poyet given the finances he had available. I guess we'll find out this summer (if he's given some cash).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Management CV.

2012-13 - Sacked for gross misconduct
2014-15 Sacked

Fixed that for you :thumbsup:

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Quote Originally Posted by mejonaNO12 aka riskit View Post
Management CV.

2012-13 - Championship playoff semi finals, whilst giving other clubs, those come and get me eyes!
2012-13 - Sacked for gross misconduct
2014-15 Sacked

Fixed that for you

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Not really a surprise given that Sunderland's form has deteriorated badly since Christmas and Poyet's criticism of the fans did him no favours. Up until then, with a Wembley cup final appearance for the first time in over 20 years and 2 wins at St James' Park, he was in credit with the Sunderland fans despite the results.

I felt he should have learnt from last season to set Sunderland up more positively. It wasn't until they were staring relegation in the face last season that he threw caution to the wind and they ended their season with wins at Chelsea and at Old Trafford as well as a draw at Man City which saw them safe, which was an achievement when you consider how much disarray they were in when he took over. Yet, this season he has reverted to getting them to play a more cautious, ponderous way which led to him falling out with the fans.

Whoever goes there has a difficult job as there are several players at that club whose attitude has stunk under several managers now. I mean, given that Poyet has been sacked, how long before Wes Brown and John O'Shea get fired because these are players with Premier League winners' medals who have been atrocious and resting on their laurels for about 3 or 4 different managers now.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Sums up Poyet's premiership dream.

All this promise of the prem and look what it actually does to people when there.

Barnes has been the only success story out of all our current premiership ex players. The only player who didn't tout himself to Prem clubs. The only player who didn't receive any hype.

Poyet is still living off the one truly successful season he's had as manager, every other season has been hype.

Bit unfair on Ulloa that, I can't recall him touting himself to Leicester, or indeed any other prem clubs. He's gone on record to say how much he loved his time with us, he's come to our games when he's had the time, and he was sold to bring us into FFP winnable territory. I'm genuinely sad for him that it seems to be rapidly turning pear shaped for him in the Midlands, I think had we kept him we certainly wouldn't be where we are now, and that he'd be a darn sight more valuable than £7mill

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Best of luck to him, Tanno and Charlie. Still Albion heroes in my eyes for what we achieved on the pitch under them.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Leicester's best spell of the season coincided with Ulloa being used as their regular centre forward. Since he has been in and out of the team, so Leicester have struggled more for goals and he has lost the momentum he had at the start of the season.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Has the loan window ended?

Any chance of getting Buckley back?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Kevin Ball's son doesn't seem too complimentary about Gus on twitter... https://twitter.com/LukeyKB87

"I absolutely despise the 2faced egotistical tosspot he is. But he has to be commended for a fantastic period for fans at the end of season."

"Can't believe the amount of Poyet sympathisers on here. It'll all come out. See if people stick by their comments then."

Trouble seems to follow him around...

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Kevin Ball's son doesn't seem too complimentary about Gus on twitter... https://twitter.com/LukeyKB87

"I absolutely despise the 2faced egotistical tosspot he is. But he has to be commended for a fantastic period for fans at the end of season."

"Can't believe the amount of Poyet sympathisers on here. It'll all come out. See if people stick by their comments then."

Trouble seems to follow him around...

The fact he stopped his father from getting the Sunderland job permanently might have something to do with the tone of his Tweets too.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Precious. We are a small club no matter what anyone thinks. Of course we are a stepping stone; I'd be worried if we employed a manager who thought that we were the absolute peak of their ambitions.

I couldn't give a monkeys **** if our manager wanted a bigger job as long as we were winning, which we were. Contrary to popular belief we didn't "bottle" the play off semi, we just lost to a better side on the night and didn't play to our full potential. Such is life.

As a club, together with TB, he brought us to life and gave us something to shout and sing about. Since he's gone you'd have thought people would appreciate what he did for us seeing some of tripe served up by Garcia and Hyypia.

Good post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here