Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus after Ulloa?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Of course not.

Just don't understand the vitriol some people are aiming at Poyet. I would have been hugely surprised if he hadn't come back for at least Bridcutt. That's football.

That is also football (unfortunately)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As he did with Ryan Harley, the point I am making is that waiting to sign the player the last time, is irrelevant, he will be interested if he thinks he will improve their squad.

Well that pretty much goes without saying.

The point I am making is that Gus was prepared to hang on for 18 months before finally landing Ulloa, and for a very substantial chunk of his playing budget. That is an illustration of just how highly he rates him, and therefore makes it that bit more likely that he could well come in for him again now.

Its all still conjecture of course, and theres absolutely nothing in the article that started this thread to say its going to happen. It just wouldn't be very surprising if it did.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well at least the lure of a Wembley cup final can't be used to tempt them. Both Ulloa and Bridders played against Newport so are cup-tied :)

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
A poster said earlier that Gus has been shooting his mouth off to the press.

On the potential acquisition of Brighton players, he has said nothing publicly. In fact, he was quoted as saying 'I'm saying nothing.'

Gus shooting his mouth off? Never!!!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If... Ulloa was a target for Brighton for '18 months' before we signed him, that would pre-date David Burke's tenure by 6 months.

If that was the case, who 'found' him? No idea. Does it matter?

Not in the slightest.....which was kind of my point :thumbsup:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Of course not.

Just don't understand the vitriol some people are aiming at Poyet.

Really?? after...

- the team's performance and selection at home Vs Palace
- followed by a sacking due for gross misconduct
- then refusing to walk away and claiming that he was unfairly dismissed
- then going onto national TV and claiming that he had not been informed that he had been sacked for gross misconduct, when he knew full well that he had been and so resulted in the club's name and reputation being bought into questiobn
- and then threatening legal action against the club which effectively gave him his break into football management
- of which all of the above meant that the club were not able to adequately prepare and build for the start of the new season
- AND then, as the allegations go, getting his new club to bid for our players and totally unsettling them so that they won't/can't play for the club they're contracted to

...and you don't understand why people are vitriolic toward Poyet??? :ffsparr:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Really?? after...

- then going onto national TV and claiming that he had not been informed that he had been sacked for gross misconduct, when he knew full well that he had been and so resulted in the club's name and reputation being bought into questiobn
- and then threatening legal action against the club which effectively gave him his break into football management
- of which all of the above meant that the club were not able to adequately prepare and build for the start of the new season
- AND then, as the allegations go, getting his new club to bid for our players and totally unsettling them so that they won't/can't play for the club they're contracted to

I meant purely in terms of trying to sign our players.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus shooting his mouth off? Never!!!!

Despite what TLO said.... Gus said that he had nothing to do with Liam's transfer request, which is, of course, a lie.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Really?? after...

When you put it like that... why are some on here still acting like Gus' spurned girlfriend?

D

Deleted member 22389

Really?? after...

All true. To lose 2-0 at home in the play off semi was bad enough, to lose 2-0 to your rivals, sorry that peeved me off.

That was a real nasty end to the season, and I hope it never happens again. It didn't just stop at us losing, it was everything else after that.
It's taken the club and the supporters a good few months to get over this.

Got a feeling we are going to be meeting them next season. It's going to very uncomfortable for everyone concerned.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Christ on a bike its not Gus buying anyone out of his own pocket
its the club he is now manager of
FFS the obsession with Gus on this board is beginning to get just a little boring now

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Despite what TLO said.... Gus said that he had nothing to do with Liam's transfer request, which is, of course, a lie.

Is Liam not capable of making his own mind up? I pointed out last night that 5 of our old players were tweeting their pleasure at seeing Sunderland do well. Poyet does instil loyalty to his players and staff. Both Charlie & Tanno chose to leave Brighton to stay with him, Poyet brought in several of his old players from Swindon & Leeds to us.

As pointed out, lots of Nsc posters have been wanting Oscar to bring in players from Barcelona and Tel Aviv. Would that make Oscar a selfish manager?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Had Speroni not tipped Ashley Barnes' shot onto the cross bar in that home game against Palace, it could have all be very different. Equally, had Greer and Bridge - both hugely experienced, trusted players - not both let Zaha get the better of them for the two Palace goals, it could have been very different.

It was a hugely disappointing match - of course it was. And I think, looking back, most of us would have picked a slightly different team.

But not sure that fans are right to completely blame Poyet for the defeat - certainly not to the extent that that blame overrides all he did achieve while at the club.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
What possibly gives you that idea? He has always looked relaxed, happy and chilled whenever I have seen him around town, with or without his family, with or without Spanish teamates, before, during and after his injury. Looks fine to me

:shrug:

I'm not talking about what he looks like when he's around town. Of course he's going to look relaxed walking around town. Stupid response.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Funnily enough I wondered the opposite - that he was originally trying hard in the hope that Gus would put in a bid for him, but when the bid was for Bridders and Buckley instead he lost heart.

I suspect that it is much more likely that he it is just the process of coming back from a bad injury and possibly feeling a bit frustrated that he isnt fully fit yet.

Well I think there's far too much analysis going on on this thread about Ulloa's state of mind. People are reading what they want into the situation.

Stumpy Tim

Really?? after...

- then going onto national TV and claiming that he had not been informed that he had been sacked for gross misconduct, when he knew full well that he had been and so resulted in the club's name and reputation being bought into question

OK I'll bite. I still like Gus, and find myself supporting Sunderland in most games this season:

- the team's performance and selection at home Vs Palace - We didn't play that badly & the team selection was perfectly reasonable. Barnes hit the bar & had one off the line before Zaha scored. What about the other performances over the past 3.5 years? Are they forgotten?
- followed by a sacking due for gross misconduct - Of which we know very little about, so we can discount that.
- then refusing to walk away and claiming that he was unfairly dismissed - Well I certainly would have questioned it if £3m was at stake. What do you expect??
- then going onto national TV and claiming that he had not been informed that he had been sacked for gross misconduct, when he knew full well that he had been and so resulted in the club's name and reputation being bought into question - He knew it was coming, but he hadn't been told. He was also put on the spot by the BBC. Silly episode on both sides
- and then threatening legal action against the club which effectively gave him his break into football management - And he was sacked by a club he took from the relegation zone in League 1 to the play-offs in the Championship. I'm not proud of the way the club handled things
- of which all of the above meant that the club were not able to adequately prepare and build for the start of the new season - Oscar is head-coach & Gus was manager. Different jobs and so Oscar could have been hired long before when he actually was.
- AND then, as the allegations go, getting his new club to bid for our players and totally unsettling them so that they won't/can't play for the club they're contracted to - Allegations. No surprise either - of course he wanted players he could trust.

I remember Micky Adams leaving to become ASSISTANT manager at Leicester. That's a betrayal, but people seem to have got over that.

Gus was the best manager we've had for decades, and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really?? after...

Those are the'facts' as you see them but not necessarily the right 'facts'

I don't remember anyone moaning about the team selection at the time and Barnes so very nearly won it for us.

He was already on tv when the sacking was posted on the club website. Tony Bloom went on record as saying that Poyet knew the sacking was pending but not finalised. Paul Barber has admitted the club didn't know that Poyet was live on tv that night. The timing was a big mistake by the club.

Oscar was in place within a day or two when the players came back so had the whole preseason to work with them including the tour in Spain, so I cannot see why the sacking affected the club.

As for unsettling our players, a lot of managers go back for players they've had at previous teams. Liam is his own man. Nobody is forcing his arm up his back to refuse to play.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Had Speroni not tipped Ashley Barnes' shot onto the cross bar in that home game against Palace, it could have all be very different. Equally, had Greer and Bridge - both hugely experienced, trusted players - not both let Zaha get the better of them for the two Palace goals, it could have been very different.

It was a hugely disappointing match - of course it was. And I think, looking back, most of us would have picked a slightly different team.

But not sure that fans are right to completely blame Poyet for the defeat - certainly not to the extent that that blame overrides all he did achieve while at the club.

There were some truly awful performances that night, yet there are those who blame Gus, and Gus alone for that, conveniently forgetting the previous eight weeks' results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here