Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greens at it again

D

Deleted User X18H

I don't know. Maybe people will take notice of the speed limits and not turn the whole place into a rat race.

The city is car-centric. The air is not clean. The city would be a much nicer place without so many cars.

However, they need to build on park and ride and not rely on the trains and buses, as they are ludicrously expensive. Brighton Buses might deliver a great service, but they are ridiculously expensive.

Brighton is a 24 hour city, yet the expensive trains cease before the night is young.
Really ? £4.10 a day to go to Tunbridge Wells , Eastbourne , Lewes and all over the city including the Dyke.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That's the sort of answer I would expect from someone giving their opinion. Your's is the sort of comment I would expect from someone suffering from depression:moo:

Your's is the type of quip to a quote that say's bugger 20mph,i am getting down the off licence el promto in my carriage of 4 wheels to stock up on :drink:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Not sure the masses will stick to 20mph will have to wait an see .... P&R has been needed for years but always believed either Braypool or Waterhall as the best site to stop the never ending traffic jam into Brighton. Whatever people will not stop using their cars. My son has just come back from Egypt and visited Cairo where there are 5m cars on the road daily ....madness

I had a massive post lost due to Tapatalk dying. I'll try again...

The council are obviously not keen as parking tickets/machines make huge sums of money. All the time trains and buses provide little value, people will drive. They are lazy. They want to leave their door and be delivered to their door.

High prices of transport has not deterred people from visiting. There are those who will drive to somewhere else, spending the equivalent, but there will not be a down turn.

Those that be, know that, so I can't see any progress happening.

Scores of singular cars piling in to Brighton and Hove. Roads filling up around big businesses. We are shocking when it comes to encouraging people to car share. Greater incentives needed.

The city is car-centric. You can walk the breadth in less than an hour. The gateway (Brighton Station) is littered with buses and taxis. The air is not clean. Taxis dropping off wherever they see fit, despite a rank being close by.

A fume ridden and dirty city.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Leaving aside the current proposals, I find it quite amusing that a Labour group, who raised council tax in Brighton well above inflation on a year on year basis (does anyone remember the famous 14% rise ?) could try and present themselves as a party of low taxation.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
As taxation is a type of theft why elect parties who seek the moral justification to steal? And as faux moralising goes they dont get much bigger than saving the planet.

In the olden days when the Bishops and priests came round to take your money you had the choice not to give. Is it any suprise that the modern political priesthoods are wanting more gun control as they seek more of our money?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
What's so good about living in Mid Sussex? Depending on where in the district you live, council tax in Mid Sussex for a band D house is anything up to £1,556.96 a year. In Brighton & Hove, it's only £1,537.15.

Just fishing ,cheaper car parking I thought you lived in a castle my Lord

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
How much could they have saved by not putting up 20mph sign posts on every street corner and putting cycle lanes in which the cyclists do not use because they either stay on the pavement or use the road next to it ... ludicrous

True, but surely that would mean common sense finding it's way into Council Chambers....unlikely.
Not at all in disagreement with major green issues, saving the planet etc. But local Green practises are to expensive. Should someone start a 'Black Party' that residents could at least afford.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How much could they have saved by not putting up 20mph sign posts on every street corner and putting cycle lanes in which the cyclists do not use because they either stay on the pavement or use the road next to it ... ludicrous

You've done it again. You've posted on an issue regarding local government without knowing what you're on about.

The cycle lanes were not paid for by Brighton & Hove City Council.

Similarly, road traffic accidents and road deaths in the city are significantly down on the previous year.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks to someone spending all the money and dropping Vat to 15% in the past which is now 20% is hurting the hospitality industry in Brighton and Hove I hope it comes down soon. I just trying to quote facts!

Actually, Brighton & Hove has recorded an increases in people staying overnight in the city, including and 18% increase in 2013, compared to 2012, making it the most visited seaside 'resort' (I hate that word) in the country.

I was at the Friends of the Albion business breakfast this morning, where the General Manager of Jury's Inn was saying there are record numbers of people pre-booking hotel rooms for this summer, both tourists and conference trades - and that the city is still short of hotel spaces, and that's after Jury's Inn and Ibis have been built (another is being built between Sainsbury's and Brighton Station in the 'New England Quarter').

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You've done it again. You've posted on an issue regarding local government without knowing what you're on about.

The cycle lanes were not paid for by Brighton & Hove City Council.

I assume the consultation and feasibility studies were,along with the wages to pay for the council workers to make/maintain them?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I assume the consultation and feasibility studies were,along with the wages to pay for the council workers to make/maintain them?

As part of various people's existing roles, I'd assume so too.

You have to also remember that the council - every council - has an obligation, laid down by central government, to improve sustainable transport. The cycles lanes are one part of the obligation. And when the Tories started and budgeted for this scheme, these things would have been considered.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
As part of various people's existing roles, I'd assume so too.

You have to also remember that the council - every council - has an obligation, laid down by central government, to improve sustainable transport. The cycles lanes are one part of the obligation. And when the Tories started and budgeted for this scheme, these things would have been considered.

Well i'm neither for or against them in all honesty,personally it's good for those that cycle,it's just a shame Brighton is so hilly,but with regards to costing and so forth i guess it has been to some degree,supplemented in a way by virtue of grants etc..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well i'm neither for or against them in all honesty,personally it's good for those that cycle,it's just a shame Brighton is so hilly,but with regards to costing and so forth i guess it has been to some degree,supplemented in a way by virtue of grants etc..

£6m of grants, of which the Lewes Road cycle lane cost around £1.5m. The council has to spend it all on sustainable transport programmes.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
£6m of grants, of which the Lewes Road cycle lane cost around £1.5m. The council has to spend it all on sustainable transport programmes.

It's a lot of money really,still the Bus stops are a great idea in lewes rd,what with the cyclists going around the back of the bus on the nearside..still what if i wish to go from Fiveways,to Mileoak and then up to Woodingdean and back again,be tricky,and i feel Brighton has perhaps more challenges than many towns and cities when it comes to fully getting people out of vehicles.

Just fishing ,cheaper car parking I thought you lived in a castle my Lord
I live in Lewes District, where my council tax is considerably higher than it would be in Brighton or Mid Sussex.

Band D Charges:-
Lewes - £1,649 for me (or £1,727 in some parts of the district)
Mid Sussex - Up to £1,556.96
Brighton & Hove - £1,537.15

They could increase council tax by 7.2 per cent in Brighton & Hove and it would still be less than what I'm paying now.

And Lewes is hardly famed for having a parking scheme that is appreciated by local residents.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
So it's Lewes castle is your home and it's Shame that Henry knocked your Priory down which was built in 1078 With its dissolution in 1537 Lewes has more history than Haywards Heath. I always find your post informative and accurate.
Can't wait for the season to start so we can back to football issues!

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
There is a serious concern here. We essentially have a lame duck, one-off administration which is prepared to lash out and force through many policies when perhaps the general population would like to have think about it if that is OK!?. They are tearing themselves apart at the same time with many rats deserting the sinking ship ahead of the meltdown next May. They are actually a danger to the people of Brighton given these special circumstances where they have so monumentally ballsed up their one big chance. I wonder if we can be put into special measures for a year as a safety net and controlled from Central Government?

When I voted for them those few years ago, I genuinely hoped that they would take their time, not force too much too soon on the people of Brighton and think seriously about longevity. But it has been a disaster and were it not for the fact that the election will be in May rather than June (students still around), they would have been facing total wipeout. In some ways I am gutted but we are where we are....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here