Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Green Bin collection "paused"

Stumpy Tim

Our recycling was picked up for the first time in a month last Friday, but they haven´t collected the bottles for some reason. Any ideas why that would be? Unsurprisingly, there are quite a few over-flowing boxes of bottles at the moment!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Have to say all has been going swimmingly well, in the Horsham District Council area anyway.

All three bins, general waste, garden waste, and recycling regularly emptied.

In fact there was even a collection this morning, Bank Holiday Monday.

Hats off to them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had a gigantic sack of garden waste after hacking and trimming back all and sundry. With the recycling centres shut, I dumped it in a mates alleyway. Job done.
As for the general recycling bin, due to increased beer intake at home, I've invested in one of these:

41MoZ8voURL._AC_SR160,160_.jpg

Squashes the cans down flat as a pancake - and its so SATISFYING to do as well, I genuinely look forward to it. In fact, its encouraged me to drink more - which is big. And clever.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I had a gigantic sack of garden waste after hacking and trimming back all and sundry. With the recycling centres shut, I dumped it in a mates alleyway. Job done.
As for the general recycling bin, due to increased beer intake at home, I've invested in one of these:

41MoZ8voURL._AC_SR160,160_.jpg

Squashes the cans down flat as a pancake - and its so SATISFYING to do as well, I genuinely look forward to it. In fact, its encouraged me to drink more - which is big. And clever.

1/10

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Not entirely sure what your rating system relates to, but both points were genuine. My mate is having some professional waste collectors call round next week, as he's got an old washing machine, some plastic garden furniture and a few bags of concrete aggregate to get rid of, so my garden waste will be handily pitched in with all that.

And yes, that tin can crusher has turned out to be an excellent purchase for saving room in the recycling bin. I'd give it 9/10 (it loses a point as if doesn't fold flat when not in use, but thats a minor irritant).

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I keep chucking the green in the grey, what they gonna say?

I’m going to continue

You say hey? It’s not May?

God I’m bored

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
What we really miss is the local 'recycle centre' aka rubbish tip. I am not in a position to judge, is it covered by Govt. Orders ? Or what the reasons may be? But without it our bins are well full.
Around here they stopped garden waste collection a long time ago. Green bins are for mixed recycling and are still collected weekly. But since we are at home and trying to clear some stuff out..... what can you do with it?

Further to the above BBC Breakfast news show , just now reporting a massive increase in fly tipping. .... it is the obvious thing to happen.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm not a huge fan of Horsham District Council but they are continuing all Bin collections at present, just had our two recycling bins emptied, well done to the boys still coming out to work for us...

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm not a huge fan of Horsham District Council but they are continuing all Bin collections at present, just had our two recycling bins emptied, well done to the boys still coming out to work for us...

HDC has the highest recycling rate in the County - and one of the highest in the whole Country.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not entirely sure what your rating system relates to, but both points were genuine. My mate is having some professional waste collectors call round next week, as he's got an old washing machine, some plastic garden furniture and a few bags of concrete aggregate to get rid of, so my garden waste will be handily pitched in with all that.

And yes, that tin can crusher has turned out to be an excellent purchase for saving room in the recycling bin. I'd give it 9/10 (it loses a point as if doesn't fold flat when not in use, but thats a minor irritant).

Ha, had to laugh at the point dropping 'doesn't fold flat when not in use'.
A touch ironic.:D

Anyway, great service from Chichester Council here. Waste, recycling and garden collections haven't missed a beat.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Ha, had to laugh at the point dropping 'doesn't fold flat when not in use'.
A touch ironic.:D

Anyway, great service from Chichester Council here. Waste, recycling and garden collections haven't missed a beat.

So how come one council can continue all collections while another hides behind this virus thingy as a way to "pause" collections?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Same here, bin collections carrying on as normal apart from garden waste. There has been quite a lot of outrage on Facebook that there has been no official comment as to whether or not a refund of the brown bin charge will be made - by my reckoning around £5 :)

Thankfully I'm not on Facebook so have missed that onslaught. But to be fair WDC chose the wrong communication to "remind" (I had no idea it was up for renewal) people to make sure they sign up for next year and pay £50 to avoid interruption in service.........that they aren't fulfilling at the moment.

On the subject of Biffa (our collection contractor) I had two of them turn up outside mine in a van yesterday morning at about 10ish, they cleared the curb stones at bottom of the cul-de-sac which took them about 30 mins then sat in the van until 2 before buggering off. Guess they must have been on double or treble time yesterday as they've come back today and did the rest of the road in about 2 hours. Cheeky ********! Don't blame them but its a bit of a kick in the balls to see two of their employees taking the piss when the same company aren't offering a service that you have paid for.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I heard that the amenity tips would be closing so promptly ordered myself a green garden waste bin. Within 48 hours of my bin arriving, I had filled it up with this years first cut of the grass plus plenty of weeding only to come indoors and discover that MSDC had decided to pull the service for 3 months. I only signed up because I couldn't get rid of the garden waste myself and because I've used the bin I'm not entitled to a refund, so £70 on a bin I cannot empty or add anything else to

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Further to the above BBC Breakfast news show , just now reporting a massive increase in fly tipping. .... it is the obvious thing to happen.

I was talking to our street cleaner (in Worthing) this morning and he confirmed a massive increase in fly-tipping (albeit that the streets themselves are much cleaner). Law of the sod. People sat at home with nothing to do so they decide to have a clearout. The charity shops are all closed so nowhere to deposit clothes, books etc. and the tip is apparently closed.

Has made me ponder though how the Worthing street cleaner is still out and about doing his excellent work but the green bin men in Mid Sussex can't carry on working. Seems odd.

ETA (from Adur & Worthing)

Household waste and recycling collections:

Service status:

All recycling & waste collection services and cleansing services are currently running as normal.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Of course it is. So then the councils have to send their people out to collect what's been fly-tipped. Surely far simpler to keep the amenity tips open and manage the number of people in the same way they do at supermarkets. What's so difficult? And then the low-paid staff working at the tips keep their jobs instead of being furloughed. It's so simple it's laughable, but did the councils even consider that option? I doubt it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here