Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Green Bin collection "paused"

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you bothered to read my post properly, I was suggesting that there are probably many people with truck driving experience who are struggling financially at the moment and would welcome a job driving a green bin collection truck. Not sure what's self centred about that?

Like I said, :fishing:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Like I said, :fishing:

I had no idea what your stupid symbol meant so had to look it up. Why not use words like an adult instead of childish scribblings?

Anyway, if by "fishing" you mean that I was looking for a response, I would think it fair to say that 95% of the posts on NSC are written by people hoping for some kind of response to their posts. Otherwise, what's the point of posting, and ergo what's the point of NSC?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I had no idea what your stupid symbol meant so had to look it up. Why not use words like an adult instead of childish scribblings?

Anyway, if by "fishing" you mean that I was looking for a response, I would think it fair to say that 95% of the posts on NSC are written by people hoping for some kind of response to their posts. Otherwise, what's the point of posting, and ergo what's the point of NSC?

So you genuinely mean what you put in the first post! You don't give a toss about saving lives if it means your green bin isn't going to be collected.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
They should pick up the general rubbish bins less frequently. They still pick up here every week when, with huge mixed recycle bins and food waste bins, every 3/4 weeks would be more than adequate.

It would also encourage more recycle ... but that's too easy for local gov't to grasp

I did think LDC would go over to every other week for general rubbish, recycling bins one week and general rubbish the next.
There are 4 adults and 1 16 year old in my house and I have got 2 recycling wheelie bins which are full when collected, we also fill a wheelie bin with rubbish every week.

I'm not 100% sure what actually goes into the general rubbish bin though as the twenty somethings and teenager are not on the ball with recycling like myself and my wife.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The week before the full lockdown started, Cheltenham tip was only allowing three cars at a time in - plenty of room for social distance; queue outside in your car (self-isolating) to get in. Perhaps now that so many people are staying at home, as well as garden waste, a lot of DIY waste will be being generated, plus junk just being cleared out - perhaps one of the first easings of the lock-down could be opening the corporation refuse tips again?

Wouldn't work for Gloucester though - the worst planned, the worst laid out, and the least user-friendly tip in the universe - the usual quarter of a mile plus queues with at least 45 minutes waiting time would go through the roof! Might be a sensible option for better organised places though.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So you genuinely mean what you put in the first post! You don't give a toss about saving lives if it means your green bin isn't going to be collected.

Where exactly did I say anything about not wanting to save lives? Stop making stuff up to suit your own agenda.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Here at chez MBH were producing absolutely ****loads of green waste at the moment what with all the gardening going on.

They're gonna have their hands full when they clock back on.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
FB_IMG_1586723663043.jpgde

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I did think LDC would go over to every other week for general rubbish, recycling bins one week and general rubbish the next.

That’s the system that Wealden Council operate and it works just fine.
The green bins are emptied fortnightly too, although that service was put on hold a month ago. It has encouraged me to start composting as much as I can.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
What we really miss is the local 'recycle centre' aka rubbish tip. I am not in a position to judge, is it covered by Govt. Orders ? Or what the reasons may be? But without it our bins are well full.
Around here they stopped garden waste collection a long time ago. Green bins are for mixed recycling and are still collected weekly. But since we are at home and trying to clear some stuff out..... what can you do with it?

That’s the system that Wealden Council operate and it works just fine.
The green bins are emptied fortnightly too, although that service was put on hold a month ago. It has encouraged me to start composting as much as I can.

Same here, bin collections carrying on as normal apart from garden waste. There has been quite a lot of outrage on Facebook that there has been no official comment as to whether or not a refund of the brown bin charge will be made - by my reckoning around £5 :)

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
They should pick up the general rubbish bins less frequently. They still pick up here every week when, with huge mixed recycle bins and food waste bins, every 3/4 weeks would be more than adequate.

It would also encourage more recycle ... but that's too easy for local gov't to grasp

Its the recycling that is the problem, We are still getting the normal rubbish collection but recycling as stopped since the lock down and everybody around my way here has full and overflowing recycling bins, so people are transferring the recycling to the rubbish bins just to get rid of it. It he recycling that is suffering.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Its the recycling that is the problem, We are still getting the normal rubbish collection but recycling as stopped since the lock down and everybody around my way here has full and overflowing recycling bins, so people are transferring the recycling to the rubbish bins just to get rid of it. It he recycling that is suffering.

Recycling picked up for the first time in 4-5 weeks. I live in Patcham so you may well find the next time they’re due you get the full service.

I’d kept all the old recycling tubs so had 5 of those plus a full bin. They took the lot.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a ridiculous, short sighted and self centred view point.

There's many staff self isolating and there aren't many people that willing to jump in their shoes, including drivers. Saw a advert for casual workers to join the Brighton team. £9 an hour. You want to apply? Quite a high risk job at the moment too.

I was drawn to this thread from the title because we are in a quandry round our way. There is no green waste collection. That was irrelevant to me as I take bags round the council recycling centre which has a massive composting area. But when I popped round the other day with 8 big bags of stuff, and the recycling centre was shut till further notice.

A couple of days ago much of my street was covered in ash after a neighbour had a massive bonfire. I raised an eyebrow. I haven't had a bonfire for 20 years, and haven't seen one on the street for at least 15. Tricky....For now I will keep the bags of garden refuse in the shed....not the end of the world is it?

I have the OP on ignore. Judging by the replies in this thread, whatever tomfoolery prompted me to take this action hasn't abated. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Same here, bin collections carrying on as normal apart from garden waste. There has been quite a lot of outrage on Facebook that there has been no official comment as to whether or not a refund of the brown bin charge will be made - by my reckoning around £5 :)

Our green garden waste bins are also brown :lolol:

Exeactly the same here. General recycling and general not recyclin collections are as normal. I think our brown bin service, which is extra (I don't even have a brown bin - never needed one) is franchised as the collecting van and the couple who do the job don't look like part of the regular refuse workforce.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Not in Brighton and Hove. The main bin collection has been prioritised over recycling which is exactly correct. In a disease pandemic you really do not want unsanitary waste going uncollected for more than a week.

Recycling finally came down our road on Good Friday after a three week absence of collection. They collected everything, even the excess spilling out of recycling bins and were cheered and wished well down the road. Well done, key workers working on a bank holiday and council prioritising the correct things :clap2:

Mmmm interesting, my last recycle collection was Due Friday 27th March which wasn’t collected I’m hoping they come this Friday but appreciate their predicament.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I was drawn to this thread from the title because we are in a quandry round our way. There is no green waste collection. That was irrelevant to me as I take bags round the council recycling centre which has a massive composting area. But when I popped round the other day with 8 big bags of stuff, and the recycling centre was shut till further notice.

A couple of days ago much of my street was covered in ash after a neighbour had a massive bonfire. I raised an eyebrow. I haven't had a bonfire for 20 years, and haven't seen one on the street for at least 15. Tricky....For now I will keep the bags of garden refuse in the shed....not the end of the world is it?

I have the OP on ignore. Judging by the replies in this thread, whatever tomfoolery prompted me to take this action hasn't abated. :shrug:

I know you like telling folk you have various reprobates on ignore almost on a daily basis, why not do us all a favour and list them on a signature?

Btw could someone quote this otherwise he won’t see it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here