Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Greatest" Albion Team Voted by Argus Readers 2005 - Anything Changed ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
haha...WHAT?! I never said Calde would get into our all time XI or whatever....I simply said he was better than Watson (a comparison YOU initially brought up)

watson WAS avearge at best defensively, and was poor at this level......he wasn't even that great defensively in the level below, but his assists made up for that

unfortunately his assists for BZ dried up at this level, i'm really not sure I can remember more than, say, 1 or 2. Zamora only bagged about 15 that season and from memory, a fair few of those were made by himself, and a few from paul brooker....not many at all from Watson

plus our weakness that season was at full back, which left coppell needing to play a 5 man defence for much of the season

as for calderon getting criticism this season......i remember watson getting the same treatment (not from me...i actually quite liked him)

Who's talking about Zamora? Besides, Zamora missed a third of the season through injury.

And you're still re-writing history. Watson was fine at this level - much better than 'poor'.

Oct 25, 2003
Who's talking about Zamora? Besides, Zamora missed a third of the season through injury.

And you're still re-writing history. Watson was fine at this level - much better than 'poor'.

i'm talking about zamora because one of watson's main assets was assisting goals for......zamora (i thought that was fairly obvious seeing as i started the sentence with "unfortunately his assists for BZ dried up at this level")

at championship level that didn't happen

and it's my opinion rather than this ridiculous notion of "re-writing history"........in my opinion watson was very good at league 2......decent at league 1......but poor at championship level.....mainly because a) he still wasn't particularly great at defending, and any decent wingers beat him quite easily, b) in reality he was probably too slow for this league and c) he didn't create as many goals/chances as he did in lower divisions.......

like i said (which you ignored) i actually quite liked him......just not enough to claim that he's our best right-back EVER (especially when we have a better one currently in our squad)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Steve Gatting gets the left back position for me and I would play 4-3-3 so Michael Robinson for Penney. All the positions are arguable except for Mark Lawrenson. The only definite out is Crumplin.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Beeney or Grummitt instead of Moseley who despite the FA Cup semi-final was prone to some serious howlers.

Gary Stevens right back instead of Crumps.
Foster and Lawro are fine.

Gary Williams left back.

Elliott Bennett streets ahead of Steve Penney.
Case, Horton - though Liam Bridcutt must be there abouts as well.
Sully absolutely no way! Noone and Buckley are both better.

Ward, Zamora are fine.......

Perhaps Michael Robinson as a third forward as someone else suggested with Sully left out

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
If we judge players by what they did for the club, and not afterwards, then John Gregory gets my vote, totally consistent.

But if we go back a few years, then that man you see on the left, the GREAT Jimmy Jangley will always get the left back slot.

I also rated Peter Grummit as our best ever Keeper.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If we judge players by what they did for the club, and not afterwards, then John Gregory gets my vote, totally consistent.

But if we go back a few years, then that man you see on the left, the GREAT Jimmy Jangley will always get the left back slot.

Agree totally....Jimmy Langley won England caps and Grummitt was better than Moseley.
On Barry Rees...yes he was killed in a car crash, driving back north to visit his parents. Tragic. Talented Welsh U23 who we bought from Everton for a lot of money in those days. His Albion career was very short, though, so not sure whether he would qualify for ' greatest eleven '

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Seems fair to me...can't say much more about Langley,possibly Mel Hopkins close,RB maybe Jim McGonigal....goal,Beeney/Grummit/Corrigan....it's all in the best possible taste!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Fiery Furnace of Rochdale

Agree totally....Jimmy Langley won England caps and Grummitt was better than Moseley.
On Barry Rees...yes he was killed in a car crash, driving back north to visit his parents. Tragic. Talented Welsh U23 who we bought from Everton for a lot of money in those days. His Albion career was very short, though, so not sure whether he would qualify for ' greatest eleven '

If you remember Barry Rees, you will probably remember Nobby Upton ???

Vintage Vinners: Albion championship joy marred by tragedy From The Argus)

Archie MacCauley was a shrewd judge of a player.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Watson was pretty weak defensively from what I recall, when his set pieces turned rubbish there really was no point to him any more.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
yes,that is true

was barry rees the young welsh lad that got killed in a car crash or am i mixing him up with someone else?
No...your correct...he was on the way home to visit family in Wales....not sure but heard he went into a back of a lorry.....he was being touted as the next Duncan Edwards.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Just read Vintage Vinners....we paid £8,000 for him. there was a report that at the PM they discovered that his heart was massive compared to a normal heart.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I

I was too young to see Langley play but my dad (who started watching Brighton in the late 30s) always reckoned that Langley was the best player he'd seen at Brighton until Lawrenson arrived.

It is a strange list: no mention of Tommy Cook who won England caps as Div 3 player. I bet there aren't many clubs who'd have an all-time team and leave out their all-time leading goal scorer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here