"Greatest" Albion Team Voted by Argus Readers 2005 - Anything Changed ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Just found an Argus supplement pullout poster dated 2005 listing the Greatest Albion Team as voted for by Argus Readers. -

Manager - Alan Mullery

Goalkeeper - Graham Moseley
Right Back - John Crumplin
Centre half - Steve Foster
Centre half - Mark Lawrenson
Left Back - Gary Stevens
Right Midfield - Steve Penney
Centre Midfield - Brian Horton
Centre Midfield - Jimmy Case
Left Midfield - Peter O'Sullivan
Striker - Bobby Zamora
Striker - Peter Ward.

Would you changed anything ? Personally , being fortunate (old) enough to have seen all eleven players perform for the Albion, I would have to put question marks against Moseley,Crumplin,Penney,Case & O'Sullivan - much loved but the "greatest" in that position ?

Of the current crop Bridcutt & Buckley may get in and Vicente , definitely, if he plays some more games at the same level.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I had the poster of that team up on my wall during my final year of Uni. Top stuff.

The only possible additions I can think of from the last 6 years are Vicente (but who would he oust?), and perhaps Richard Geer.

Oct 25, 2003
vicente is probably the most TALENTED.......not sure you can say after 17 games that he is in our greatest ever XI

if he stays on and carries on the form he displayed at the tail end of last season (with better players around him, hopefully) then yeah, whack him in

There is no way Vicente can even get close to being considered an Albion "Great" with the amount of games he's played. Most gifted maybe but not a great.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Difficult really, but I'd definately add in Poyet and Vicente, and to be honest I never rated Crumplin, so Calderon would get that spot for me.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Crumplin?! Come on. He was initially a complete joke, terrible player who through a lot of hard work managed to turn it round to justify first-team selection. Hardly the best right-back we've ever had!!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
calderon is a lot better than watson ever was.......watson was instantly found out at this level whereas calderon performed ok

could easily argue that calderon was better at league 1 level also

If it wasn't for Paul Watson, Zamora wouldnt have got half the goals he did... one of the best left foots we have ever had.

Oct 25, 2003
If it wasn't for Paul Watson, Zamora wouldnt have got half the goals he did... one of the best left foots we have ever had.

in league 2 and to a lesser extent league 1 yes........he didn't set up many goals at all at this level, and he certainly wasn't good enough defensively

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Elliot Bennett was probably our 'best' player since 2005 in terms of balancing team contribution and actual ability. Still not sure he would get in though.

It's difficult when using the word 'greatest'. Who is 'better' out of an EXCELLENT Division 3 right back and a GOOD Division 1 right back?

I'd say Calderon is a better player than Watson by some distance. However Watson's contribution was phenomenal. Difficult. All down to what you classify as the criteria.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The Crumplin selection was silly, as was Grease at left back. Stevens should be in there at right back, and although he probably wasn't our best ever left back, I went for Gary Williams, pretty much solely for that goal vs Nottingham Forest. He was our left back in the top division, so he must have been pretty good, but I was too young at teh time to really know, I just loved that goal.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
purely on being brighton "greats" you'd have to include charlie webb & ernie wilson,regardless if you've seen them play

i have a problem with alan mullery,for obvious reasons,don't get me wrong,the late 70's were the best period in brighton's history without doubt

i used to think mullers walked on water,but sorry,the palace connection rules him out of being a brighton "great"

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
purely on being brighton "greats" you'd have to include charlie webb & ernie wilson,regardless if you've seen them play

i have a problem with alan mullery,for obvious reasons,don't get me wrong,the late 70's were the best period in brighton's history without doubt

i used to think mullers walked on water,but sorry,the palace connection rules him out of being a brighton "great"

Mullers walked into a team built by Peter Taylor the first....and a list without Barry Rees is useless.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
in league 2 and to a lesser extent league 1 yes........he didn't set up many goals at all at this level, and he certainly wasn't good enough defensively

That's just re-writing history about one player in order to suit your point on another.

Good as he is, how much grief did Calderon get at the beginning of this season at this level? These things even out, ya know.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Just found an Argus supplement pullout poster dated 2005 listing the Greatest Albion Team as voted for by Argus Readers. -

Manager - Alan Mullery

Goalkeeper - Graham Moseley
Right Back - John Crumplin
Centre half - Steve Foster
Centre half - Mark Lawrenson
Left Back - Gary Stevens
Right Midfield - Steve Penney
Centre Midfield - Brian Horton
Centre Midfield - Jimmy Case
Left Midfield - Peter O'Sullivan
Striker - Bobby Zamora
Striker - Peter Ward.

Would you changed anything ? Personally , being fortunate (old) enough to have seen all eleven players perform for the Albion, I would have to put question marks against Moseley,Crumplin,Penney,Case & O'Sullivan - much loved but the "greatest" in that position ?

Of the current crop Bridcutt & Buckley may get in and Vicente , definitely, if he plays some more games at the same level.

this
can't argue with any of what you have said
there are many you might put in there .......the list is endless and its all down to personal preference

Oct 25, 2003
That's just re-writing history about one player in order to suit your point on another.

Good as he is, how much grief did Calderon get at the beginning of this season at this level? These things even out, ya know.

haha...WHAT?! I never said Calde would get into our all time XI or whatever....I simply said he was better than Watson (a comparison YOU initially brought up)

watson WAS avearge at best defensively, and was poor at this level......he wasn't even that great defensively in the level below, but his assists made up for that

unfortunately his assists for BZ dried up at this level, i'm really not sure I can remember more than, say, 1 or 2. Zamora only bagged about 15 that season and from memory, a fair few of those were made by himself, and a few from paul brooker....not many at all from Watson

plus our weakness that season was at full back, which left coppell needing to play a 5 man defence for much of the season

as for calderon getting criticism this season......i remember watson getting the same treatment (not from me...i actually quite liked him)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports