Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great first for Brighton. Clean drug user rooms.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
And you again misunderstand. You can't contribute anything to this debate other than stereotypes and little nuggets of info you found on the internet, good for you and well done.

You're really struggling to say something constructive aren't you.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I think its true that during the mods and rockers era the police used to round up trouble makers and drive them out of Brighton to remote parts of the countryside where they left them to their own devices. Perhaps something like this could help?

If people need to see the effect of centering drug users/abusers in one place then have a look at the London Road area.

Help who, the owner of the land that you dump them on - this remote part of the Countryside happens to be mostly a National park, the Park Wardens and CPRE are really gonna love this........ They got shitty enough about football supporters, now you want to make 'em accept drug addicts.

Mental.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Help who, the owner of the land that you dump them on - this remote part of the Countryside happens to be mostly a National park, the Park Wardens and CPRE are really gonna love this........ They got shitty enough about football supporters, now you want to make 'em accept drug addicts.

Mental.

Just sharing the grief.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Fair point about the multi-city approach, but it has to be seen to work first. I don't agree it will necessarily make Brighton a magnet for users.

There won't be a policy of just anyone bowling along - these would have to be properly supervised people already on programmes.

I do think a change in policy will be noted by the users. And, whilst we can all assume that the room in question is not going to be signposted "get your free high here" and be stacked with clean needles, soft cushions and the sweet smell of joss sticks, we can assume that users will enquire and give it a go - even if they know they will be turned away.

The challenge the town faces is in dealing with any early attraction. Let's not give up at the first sign of trouble and stick it out. If it works, then it's a long term solution and needs some long term appraisal. Brighton could attract users in the short term, but I would hope that would settle down.

As for the room itself, does anyone know where it will be? I would hope that the answer is no. I would hope that it wasn't advertised, but used with users that knew they had a problem and understood the responsibility they have in participating in such a programme. I doubt the room would be in the heart of Withdean, on the edge of Blaker's Park or equivalents. More likely it'll be attached to a city centre NHS building. I would be interested in knowing more so it can help inform me, but then again, am I really entitled to know more?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think its true that during the mods and rockers era the police used to round up trouble makers and drive them out of Brighton to remote parts of the countryside where they left them to their own devices. Perhaps something like this could help?

If people need to see the effect of centering drug users/abusers in one place then have a look at the London Road area.

The handy thing about mods and rockers was the fact that they wore parkas and leather jackets and rode distinctly different types of bike. This made them easy to identify.

How would you propose that we identify the users? If it is anyone pasty looking and disheveled then 1. We have a stereotype and 2. Some of my non-drug using friends may then find themselves in the middle of Sussex.

Also, if we adopt this approach we could suddenly see an influx of drug addicts when the Portsmouth City Council decides to round up its suspect addicts and dump them in, er, Brighton. Or do you propose that all cities ship suspect addicts to the countryside only?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The handy thing about mods and rockers was the fact that they wore parkas and leather jackets and rode distinctly different types of bike. This made them easy to identify.

How would you propose that we identify the users? If it is anyone pasty looking and disheveled then 1. We have a stereotype and 2. Some of my non-drug using friends may then find themselves in the middle of Sussex.

Also, if we adopt this approach we could suddenly see an influx of drug addicts when the Portsmouth City Council decides to round up its suspect addicts and dump them in, er, Brighton. Or do you propose that all cities ship suspect addicts to the countryside only?

I could walk down London Road and pick you out a few. Many can be recognised trying to sell their methadone so they can buy something with a bigger hit.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I could walk down London Road and pick you out a few. Many can be recognised trying to sell their methadone so they can buy something with a bigger hit.

You should sell your drug addict sniffer skills to councils around the UK.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
If this scheme is introduced surely the Council will be will be in a very difficult situation,encouraging individuals to take Illegal drugs,Brighton already has a high number of drugs users this will draw in a lot more.
Those who refer to winos and smokers are missing a very important fact,these activities are not illegal

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This idea that drug users will somehow flock to Brighton if a regulated policy of approved premises is put in place: I just don't think it's going to happen.

We're not talking about a cheery "bring your gear, everyone's invited" approach. From what I can see, it would be on a referral basis, those involved would have to go through the system and demonstrate some sort of commitment to the service (and in the long term, getting clean).

A lot of heroin users don't want to be part of the system and would view such a policy with suspicion, certainly at first, fearing that, all the time the drugs remain illegal, it would be some kind of set-up by the authorities. They shoot up in their own homes, or in dark corners of public places, away from other people. I'm not sure all of them would feel comfortable about doing it in a supervised environment. That, and many users lead such chaotic lifestyles, that the idea of thousands of them all packing their bags and heading for Brighton simply because they can stick a needle in their arm in a sterile room, just doesn't stand up for me.

Those who argue it's giving users carte blanche to continue their habit: well what else do you suggest? The current policy on drugs clearly isn't having much effect, so I don't see the problem with people trying to come up with new ideas to tackle it. To say that nobody would want such a premises at the end of their street is stating the obvious- but if you live in central Brighton or Hove, drug use is likely to be going on at the end of your street anyway. They just do it in the parks, and toilets, and down alleyways, and then dump the detritus for some other poor individual to stumble upon, or keel over unconscious and then waste the time of the ambulance service who have to be despatched on blue lights with a carton full of Narcan. It's all well and good saying we should be more concerned about the old ladies that these users mug (although most of them resort to shoplifting or burglary rather than mugging): yes, victims obviously deserve support, but wouldn't it be better to try and stop these people becoming victims in the first place?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As for the room itself, does anyone know where it will be? I would hope that the answer is no. I would hope that it wasn't advertised, but used with users that knew they had a problem and understood the responsibility they have in participating in such a programme. I doubt the room would be in the heart of Withdean, on the edge of Blaker's Park or equivalents. More likely it'll be attached to a city centre NHS building. I would be interested in knowing more so it can help inform me, but then again, am I really entitled to know more?

There are already plenty of places in the city centre that offer services for substance abusers- the fact that you don't necessarily know where they are suggests that the local areas aren't overrun with any more crime or social issues than anywhere else, surely?

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
Can we have one of these rooms at the ground for when the boys are putting in a bad performance? ???:wink:

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
There are already plenty of places in the city centre that offer services for substance abusers- the fact that you don't necessarily know where they are suggests that the local areas aren't overrun with any more crime or social issues than anywhere else, surely?

We all have a NIMBY in us Edna. I live in the city centre and sure don't need a "get wasted here" drop in centre next door.

The bit that confuses me is the role of the police. They stop people in the street for class c drugs, are they now to nick people for a joint, yet look away when others are carrying class A. And it will be obvious they have class A on them as they walk in to the clean area.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think this is a cracking point (no pun intended.) This project can be responsibly executed. There's no need for me or anyone to know where the room is. If there are problems as a result of the room being put in place then they'll be reported. If all goes to plan then nobody will be any the wiser.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
but wouldn't it be better to try and stop these people becoming victims in the first place?

Well good luck with that. Even on NSC it's seen as macho to boast about drug taking, but of course all those people have the abuse under total control.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We all have a NIMBY in us Edna. I live in the city centre and sure don't need a "get wasted here" drop in centre next door.

I understand that totally, but my point was that both the users and the services that support them are all around the city centre anyway, it's just that people aren't necessarily aware of it.

In reality, people aren't generally nicked just for having a joint, unless there are other factors involved (and it's class B not C). It's usually dealt with in other ways.

I don't claim to have the answers to this whole debate, but having encountered and dealt with the drug addicts of Brighton on a regular basis for a few years now, I think have a reasonable insight in to the reality of the situation. I think it's got to be worth those with the power to do so to at least look at a few more creative solutions to the problem. If drug abuse ceased to be a problem, the rate of acquisitive crime would absolutely plummet, which means everyone's a winner.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think this is a cracking point (no pun intended.) This project can be responsibly executed. There's no need for me or anyone to know where the room is. If there are problems as a result of the room being put in place then they'll be reported. If all goes to plan then nobody will be any the wiser.

There was a place in town that had been operating as a brothel for many many years. Nobody was any the wiser, no additional crime was reported and nobody appeared to be suffering any ill effects as a result. The locals either didn't know, or suspected but didn't bother themselves too much as it didn't appear to be a problem. One day a few years back, I recall the location of this premises was published in the Argus, and all of a sudden people were queuing up to voice their outrage, as it was opposite a primary school. "Think of the children!" they wailed ,"their lives will be ruined!" trying to stir up a bit of controversy where previously there was none.

I'm not suggesting that prostitution is a good thing, of course, merely that sometimes the idea of something going on is worse than the reality.

And no, I probably wouldn't want it on my doorstep either....but then again I don't want to be burgled, and fewer drug addicts means fewer burglaries...clearly this isn't a simple debate, and will probably run and run forever.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well good luck with that. Even on NSC it's seen as macho to boast about drug taking, but of course all those people have the abuse under total control.

WTF !!!!! Add this to your statement about non-rec drugs not being addictive and I really do wonder if you live in the real world !

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Secret Society

A bit like the Freemasons for Horsemen. Invites only.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here