Great first for Brighton. Clean drug user rooms.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
It's a complete waste of time trying to enter into a discussion with you, as it's quite obviuos you are taking a dogmatic position, and won't shift from it, so I'm not going to.

Yeh, best to try and retreat from the discussion if it's not going well. Suprised you didn't throw in a parting insult like Buzzer, which is a common way on NSC to exit a lost discussion. For that I give you respect.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yeh, best to try and retreat from the discussion if it's not going well. Suprised you didn't throw in a parting insult like Buzzer, which is a common way on NSC to exit a lost discussion. For that I give you respect.

Excuse me but I haven't insulted you at all. I've said you are ignorant of the subject matter. I think I'm allowed to say that when you come out with comments that are patently untrue. Now stop being so precious.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Very naive comment

Not at all, as posted above people sleepwalk in to recreational drugs. No one forces them. Somehow I have muddled through life by having enough self control and common sense just not to take any.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Not at all, as posted above people sleepwalk in to recreational drugs. No one forces them. Somehow I have muddled through life by having enough self control and common sense just not to take any.

I'm glad everything is rosy in your life. Have to admit I'm not doing badly myself but if you think it all comes down to choice then you're very much mistaken.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You need to have a re-think. Very few non-recreational drugs are addictive.

I assume your 7 years training to be a doctor has persuaded you of this rubbish ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm glad everything is rosy in your life. Have to admit I'm not doing badly myself but if you think it all comes down to choice then you're very much mistaken.

I know people who do their fair share of drugs, if they choose to render themselves unconscious or decide to take something to keep them up all night fair do's it's up to them. No one has held me down and stuck a needle in me or rammed coke up my nose.
As an aside, I know someone who loves to " party" all night but passes out about 7am and leaves others to clean up his empty cans and ashtrays and half eaten food. Maybe he should have an extra jolt about 6 am and use that to clean up, however, that's probably not so much fun.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I would rather have seen this pilot happen in more than one location i.e. one in Brighton, one in Bristol and one in Newcastle and for the advantages to be assessed accordingly. I think selecting one town doesn't mean that it will work nationally. I also wouldn't want Brighton to be seen as the 'go to' place for safe drug taking. That puts undue pressure on the town.

My immediate thoughts are that this is a good idea. I think we need to look at how we help people manage themselves off drugs and how towns can deal with the problem of drug taking and the knock on effects this has.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
This is no solution to the problem. No one is forced to take drugs, education and information is widely available plus it's common knowledge they are illegal. Anyone who goes on to take drugs after all this only has themselves to blame. Zero tolerance is the only way forward.

Isn't zero tolerance the stance they've taken in the US? Now the prisons are full and the drug problem hasn't got any better.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
I know people who do their fair share of drugs, if they choose to render themselves unconscious or decide to take something to keep them up all night fair do's it's up to them. No one has held me down and stuck a needle in me or rammed coke up my nose.
As an aside, I know someone who loves to " party" all night but passes out about 7am and leaves others to clean up his empty cans and ashtrays and half eaten food. Maybe he should have an extra jolt about 6 am and use that to clean up, however, that's probably not so much fun.

You're not a vulnerable person & that's good for you. It's also good for the majority of the population but if you did know about true vulnerability and desperation them maybe you'd understand where some of these people that have no option are coming from. Example child is abused at home, child leaves home, child meets someone who promises a better life, child is introduced to hard drugs, child is pimped out, child has no control of his life at all, child has no where to go & solely reliant on hard drugs.

There are thousands in this country alone that have no choice.

Ok I could try smack tomorrow & that'd be my choice but if you think that it all stems from a jolly up then you're wrong.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I know people that take drugs for fun and I know people who take drugs to try and numb the feeling of despair. You seriously can't believe everyone takes drugs for fun ?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I still don't get what's new about this if you have to supply your own heroin.

Needle exchanges have been around for ages, I worked at rotherham hospital a few years back and they had one there. Is it just the official supervision that's new?

Another healthy aspect is that it'll be easier to help addicts if you know they're regularly going to turn up in the same place.

P.S is heroin really a recreational drug? Totally different and shouldn't be discussed in the same breath as other drugs.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
And what is all this reputation going to do for Albion fans? Have they considered that?? Will we now have to endure narcophobic chants as well?

"we can see you shooting up"
"does your dealer know you're here?"
"Brighton takes it up the artery"

Very worrying imo

"1-0 and we're off our tits"

"We're high and we're beating you"

"You never know til you've tried it"

"You're too snobby to do drugs"

Simple :)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I still don't get what's new about this if you have to supply your own heroin.

Needle exchanges have been around for ages, I worked at rotherham hospital a few years back and they had one there. Is it just the official supervision that's new?

Another healthy aspect is that it'll be easier to help addicts if you know they're regularly going to turn up in the same place.

P.S is heroin really a recreational drug? Totally different and shouldn't be discussed in the same breath as other drugs.

Try this

http://listverse.com/2009/08/12/top-10-most-popular-recreational-drugs/

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am not sure about this, drug use and addictions are very complex issues.

Would I want this at the end of my road, probably not.

There are many questions.

I suspect it will help the minority of the hapless heroin addicts, but it might have greater consequences that are less attractive.

Does it encourage addicts from throughout the UK to see Brighton as a haven for drug use, a more comfortable place to be an addict maybe a kind of addict migration.

Having seen 4 school friends die as a direct result of heroin abuse, I cannot agree with the 'vulnerable person syndrome' as told by the post above, you shouldn't lend such an obvious excuse to a terrible life choice.

I saw opportunity, accessibility and an easy acceptance within their chosen punk lifestyle, it was ok to take smack so they continued and they died.

There is an undoubted progression through the drug spectrum too, something why I am opposed to legalisation and always suspicious when there is an easing of any drug enforcement.

Any initiatives that when examined might actually increase drug use, even if more safely is a great risk.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I think it's positive that a new approach is being considered to help tackle this huge problem. Expecting a different result by just doing the same thing is idiocy.

I used to think that everyone has a choice and they just need more self discipline but after a few years of working with vulnerable young people I realised how naive my thinking was. You realise that many choices are already made for these young people when they are born or where they grow up, the mental health effects of neglect, of poverty, of lack of aspiration around them. Our resilience is created as we go through life, we're not born with it. Most drug issues are not just drug issues in isolation. They are a small part of a load of other problems. Drug use may simply be their coping startegy for dealing with a pain that won't go away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports