[Albion] Graham Potter tells Brighton fans: Stop shouting 'shoot'... it's putting off our players

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Oh shut up Potter. Your home record is pathetic at best. How about you hold someone accountable for out complete ineptness in front of goal for 3 years. Your softly, softly approach isn't working. Try something different. Bloody boring.

Have you actually read what he said!? I really don’t understand why some people are being so precious, it’s pathetic. Like a bunch of whining little girls.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Or be good at football but an utter bellend and you could earn around a million in less than a year and *** off to Middlesboro when it gets a bit difficult.

With you on him, but even I’d stop short of blaming him for the current predicament. And I think we were all happy when he went to Middlesbrough.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Wasn't our home record worse during the season played behind closed doors? What was distracting the players then? Under Hughton the AMEX was a fortress. What changed exactly?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you actually read what he said!? I really don’t understand why some people are being so precious, it’s pathetic. Like a bunch of whining little girls.

Now come on, we both know you're not new here, don't we?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Now come on, we both know you're not new here, don't we?

Fair point.

Football fans never cease to amaze me though. Shout and scream and hurl abuse at players / managers as much as they like, and the tiniest hint of a player or manager saying anything back and they get all mortally offended. I think middle aged men who go to football must be the biggest snowflakes going, which is ironic really.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
You haven’t got a clue mate.

Anyone who went to PL games under CH knows we had exactly one way of playing and we were massively reliant on Murray’s goals. The club knew they had to act.

Come back when you know what you’re talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We only have one way of playing, and are massively reliant on Maupay goals. It's the same problem.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The amount of snowflakes on this thread is pathetic. Our home support is incredibly poor, but nobody wants to believe it. As soon as someone calls us out, we always get so defensive, Why? So he prefers us not to shout shoot, that's no reason to become so precious and make excuses. The same with people attacking other fans and posters for saying they don't like aspects of the club. So precious that they have to say how they pay their money so they're entitled to support how they like. That's not ****ing support. Moan on here like I do, not at the ****ing ground, making the atmosphere as toxic as a lot of away fans say our atmosphere is.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
And that, in a nutshell, is why the Amex atmosphere is crap. I genuinely think this attitude is completely different to clubs with decent home atmospheres.

“I expect to be entertained”.

Get the chip off your shoulder about the money, that’s the market, and no doubt you think Tony should ‘get his wallet out for a new striker’ too?
Name these clubs with rain or shine consistently superb home support.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I agree with your point but I'm sure there's a way you could have written it that wasn't sexist

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Name these clubs with rain or shine consistently superb home support.

Could you point to where I have said that there are clubs that rain or shine have consistently superb home support please?

I agree with your point but I'm sure there's a way you could have written it that wasn't sexist

Good ****ing grief. :shootself

The amount of snowflakes on this thread is pathetic. Our home support is incredibly poor, but nobody wants to believe it. As soon as someone calls us out, we always get so defensive, Why? So he prefers us not to shout shoot, that's no reason to become so precious and make excuses. The same with people attacking other fans and posters for saying they don't like aspects of the club. So precious that they have to say how they pay their money so they're entitled to support how they like. That's not ****ing support. Moan on here like I do, not at the ****ing ground, making the atmosphere as toxic as a lot of away fans say our atmosphere is.

Bang on. Maybe, just maybe, instead of people thinking 'How dare Potter blame me for the poor performance' (which he didn't) they could think 'well if he is saying that us shouting 'shoot' when the players get the ball is putting them off, then let's not do it. He's the manager so maybe he is right, and it's worth a go'.

I expect that is too much to ask though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Actually, given we've taken one point in the last seven games and last scored at home in January I think the fans in the ground have been remarkably positive and patient. Can you imagine the toxic atmosphere at Man Utd or Spurs if they'd had that exact same record. Their coach certainly wouldn't have a gold plated job for life after that run. And people say we're entitled.

If all Potter has to worry about after that is a couple of fat blokes instinctively shouting "shoot" then we certainly don't have the worst atmosphere in the league.

Nor is anyone particularly "triggered" by the comments. Maybe one or two by the misleading headline but most are simply pointing out that there was no need to mention it at all. It reads as another excuse from a club whose PR likes to paint it as the ideally run model club.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Actually, given we've taken one point in the last seven games and last scored at home in January I think the fans in the ground have been remarkably positive and patient. Can you imagine the toxic atmosphere at Man Utd or Spurs if they'd had that exact same record.

We are not Man Utd or Spurs. We are nowhere even close to being at that level. Yet we're 13th in the league and in virtually no danger of relegation, and haven't been since February.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Off to the Emirates this weekend. It would be so, so nice if we could re-capture some of our early
season flair and intent. Even if we lose, just give it a bash sort of thing. Please. Pretty please.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nor is anyone particularly "triggered" by the comments. Maybe one or two by the misleading headline but most are simply pointing out that there was no need to mention it at all. It reads as another excuse from a club whose PR likes to paint it as the ideally run model club.

For an expert on Emotional Intelligence GP has a habit of winding people up with his “clever” comments. He should realise that there are people out there/on here who will twist everything that is said to support their own agenda, however we get others who moan that he shows no emotion and is poor at communicating with the fans.

What I would say is that where someone is being deliberately mischievous (or just wrong) in their thread titles, then it should be corrected or removed.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Actually, given we've taken one point in the last seven games and last scored at home in January I think the fans in the ground have been remarkably positive and patient. Can you imagine the toxic atmosphere at Man Utd or Spurs if they'd had that exact same record. Their coach certainly wouldn't have a gold plated job for life after that run. And people say we're entitled.

If all Potter has to worry about after that is a couple of fat blokes instinctively shouting "shoot" then we certainly don't have the worst atmosphere in the league.

It really doesn't read that way unless you want it to. It read t me as an example of what can impact a player when they are short on confidence - if you want it to. Its not an excuse, or THE reason or indeed anyone's fault.
I agree with your first point about fans though - but we laugh at them too as we see them as "entitled" in that context, and where #teamslikebrighton has its roots

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For an expert on Emotional Intelligence GP has a habit of winding people up with his “clever” comments. He should realise that there are people out there/on here who will twist everything that is said to support their own agenda, however we get others who moan that he shows no emotion and is poor at communicating with the fans.

What I would say is that where someone is being deliberately mischievous (or just wrong) in their thread titles, then it should be corrected or removed.

Interestingly the Telegraph headline in the link in post #1 has been updated. Originally OP was quoting the headline of the article verbatim in his thread title. Somebody at the club must have had a word with the Telegraph :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Fair enough.

If the last paragraph is about the moderating of thread titles then I tend to disagree. The thread title was the same as the headline in a respected national broadsheet. When you dug into it people had called it out as bollocks in a couple of pages. There's an awful lot of clickbaity thread titles on NSC because anyone who starts a thread wants people to read it. We don't have time to edit every single one to our own interpretation of accuracy.

And Swansman did the same thing on a subsequent thread but was quite clearly making a point in his own unique way.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
First a history lesson and now a reading lesson... will separate the literate from the illiterate.

His career was going very well by the way, getting praise from pretty much every direction. :shrug:

Well, nobody's praising him now. Except opposition managers who gladly accept the gift of facing his team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports