Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Graham Potter - ruthless

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think that's over-dramatic. Coaching assistants nearly always go with their boss. Potter doesn't deserve pelters here, and while he will undoubtedly come for players in January, he knows full well it will be Ben White/Cucu sums he's going to have to pay for them. Let's slap a 60 mill tag on Webster now :p

We're not giving him away. I think TB will be plying diamond hard ball with Chelsea now.

Potter is ruthless, I, and Mrs Zef never really warmed to him personally, no doubting he achieved and impoved us, notably the end of last season, but we are just a part of his journey.

Modern top level football is soulless to the core.

I have faith TB can move us on and maintain our status as an honourable respectable club. . . . Unlike Chelsea. I hope they have a shit season and win nothing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What is GP going to do really?

He's been working with these five for three years. They've accomplished remarkable results. Met every day, probably became great friends and colleagues.

So he gets an offer from Chelsea and one of his requirements was probably to take his staff with him - at least Billy and Björn.

He meets up with his coaches and what is he supposed to do?

"You and you can come with me, increase your wages with 300%, fight for the finest titles in Europe. You and you however have to stay here forever and work with limited resources under a limited ceiling and never get the chance to taste the glory, because otherwise TottonSeagull will be sad."

Now THAT would be ruthless.

Its a sad situation. It is sad that GP accepted the offer from Chelsea, I really hoped and thought he wouldn't, and I'm a little bit angry with him for doing that. But asking his friends/colleagues if they want to be part of the ride? And those colleagues saying yes to it? I really don't see how that make any of them horrible people.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Of course you'll be booing.

Booing Dale Stephens after 200 games in the club. Booing Ben White on his return. Booing the team after a 0-0 game against Leeds.

Maybe it is one of the reasons people seem so eager to leave.

Nah you don't know me.
Just a knee-jerk comment because I'm angry at losing so many people I respected and loved.

If you really think that any one of those coaches left because they heard 20 fans booing, then they won't last long at Chelsea.

An awful lot has been made about the Leeds game.
I was there and it was nothing in comparison to the booing we regularly hear at away games when we outplay the home team.

Potter was the one who made it a big thing,
He will need to grow a pair now he's managing a team with a properly entitled fanbase.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nah you don't know me.
Just a knee-jerk comment because I'm angry at losing so many people I respected and loved.

If you really think that any one of those coaches left because they heard 20 fans booing, then they won't last long at Chelsea.

An awful lot has been made about the Leeds game.
I was there and it was nothing in comparison to the booing we regularly hear at away games when we outplay the home team.

Potter was the one who made it a big thing,
He will need to grow a pair now he's managing a team with a properly entitled fanbase.

London Olympic Stadium, OT, Emirates and WHL … mass booing after failing to win at home, always and forever.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s the entire centre of the football club ripped out, Graham potter can take his money and swivel on it. I won’t be welcoming him back here.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
He’s my 28th permanent managerial change, 26 individuals as Mullery and Adams doubled up, but everyone was the same, and for all the “I love this club” and kissing the badge, it’s always been a job, pure and simple, and when at better job comes along, Clough at Leeds, Adams at Leicester, Coppell at Reading etc, loyalty is merely a word worth 13 in Scrabble, nothing more, nothing less.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What is GP going to do really?

He's been working with these five for three years. They've accomplished remarkable results. Met every day, probably became great friends and colleagues.

So he gets an offer from Chelsea and one of his requirements was probably to take his staff with him - at least Billy and Björn.

He meets up with his coaches and what is he supposed to do?

"You and you can come with me, increase your wages with 300%, fight for the finest titles in Europe. You and you however have to stay here forever and work with limited resources under a limited ceiling and never get the chance to taste the glory, because otherwise TottonSeagull will be sad."

Now THAT would be ruthless.

Its a sad situation. It is sad that GP accepted the offer from Chelsea, I really hoped and thought he wouldn't, and I'm a little bit angry with him for doing that. But asking his friends/colleagues if they want to be part of the ride? And those colleagues saying yes to it? I really don't see how that make any of them horrible people.

He's been working with Bloom for three years too.

NOTHING he has done with his leaving has shown he gives a **** about Tony and what he's done for him.

Stop making excuses for him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He’s my 28th permanent managerial change, 26 individuals as Mullery and Adams doubled up, but everyone was the same, and for all the “I love this club” and kissing the badge, it’s always been a job, pure and simple, and when at better job comes along, Clough at Leeds, Adams at Leicester, Coppell at Reading etc, loyalty is merely a word worth 13 in Scrabble, nothing more, nothing less.

The difference is, Potter had reduced that ‘better’ job list to around half a dozen which in itself, is pretty spectacular. Teams like West Ham, Leicester, Everton, Newcastle and Aston Villa would never have had a chance of slashing him out of our long term plans.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

I may be wrong so am prepared to be corrected, but I thought I read somewhere that Coppell was not overly interested in leaving to go to Reading and would have happily stayed, unfortunately at the time we needed the compensation money from Reading and was as good as asked to take it. He said that despite the current circumstances he saw Brighton as the bigger club, with more long term potential. If I remember that correctly then he is a clever fella and was not wrong.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
The difference is, Potter had reduced that ‘better’ job list to around half a dozen which in itself, is pretty spectacular. Teams like West Ham, Leicester, Everton, Newcastle and Aston Villa would never have had a chance of slashing him out of our long term plans.

Yep it would have had to be one of the big six and would have to be sold to him as a long term build throughout the club. Really, if you think about it. It’s Putin’s fault. It’s Putin’s fault Bruno is at Chelsea.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He's been working with Bloom for three years too.

NOTHING he has done with his leaving has shown he gives a **** about Tony and what he's done for him.

Stop making excuses for him.

It has been mutually benifical.

Tony Bloom gave GP and the staff a lot of things. Faith in difficult times, good working environment, some decent players. GP & staff gave him very good places in the league table and like a £200m transfer profit over 3 years.

If TB was really angry, you'd have noticed.

But I think he understands the situation... and also does not want to burn any bridges.

I like that people get angry on TB's behalf but I don't really think he is as upset as some are. Partly because he understands the football business and partly because he knows that he himself, PB, DW and the others are very good at what they do and will find good solutions.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
... Screenshot_20220908-184227_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
could or has he already become the most hated ex Brighton player manager anything (apart from those that have gone to Smellhurst of course, or maybe not)

larus

You really don't get it do you.

Tony treated Bruno as well as any owner could. He brought him into the club as a player and when he finished playing he treated him like Brighton family. He immediately set about making sure he was kept at the club and made to feel part of the thing he'd been part of building because Bloom rated him so highly as a person.

Then for Bruno to show no loyalty to Bloom at a time when he would need him the most is what is pissing off life long Albion fans.

Tony deserved better than this from Bruno and Roberts and they shit on him because Potter got in their ear and didn't give a shit about how it might impact the club.

In reality, we don't know if Bruno has had discussions with TB and both felt it would be beneficial for Bruno to carry on developing his skills under GP.
Also, if the new coach (who supposedly is already lined up) wants to bring in his own team, that could have made Brunos position more complicated.

I'd much prefer to give Bruno the benefit of doubt here.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It has been mutually benifical.

Tony Bloom gave GP and the staff a lot of things. Faith in difficult times, good working environment, some decent players. GP & staff gave him very good places in the league table and like a £200m transfer profit over 3 years.

If TB was really angry, you'd have noticed.

But I think he understands the situation... and also does not want to burn any bridges.

I like that people get angry on TB's behalf but I don't really think he is as upset as some are. Partly because he understands the football business and partly because he knows that he himself, PB, DW and the others are very good at what they do and will find good solutions.

He is angry. So is Barber.

Brighton chiefs Tony Bloom and David Weir have expressed their frustration at seeing Graham Potter leave for Chelsea, but vowed to “move on quickly”.

Chairman Bloom told Brighton’s official website that he feels “very disappointed”

Barber “I am hugely disappointed to be losing our coaching team, particularly at this time,"

That's veiled talk for not being happy with how shit went down if ever there was, especially Barber's words.

larus

People should lay off Swanny. He knows his stuff and for whatever reason has clearly invested a lot of time and energy into our club. We are all hurting, taking it out on a stranger on the internet is crass and unfair.

My sentiments too.

I enjoy a lot of his posts - I think he's less knee-jerk than a lot of people and brings a lot to NSC. I very much hope he stays post GP.

There are many other posters I'd be happy not to see post rather than [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here