[TV] ‘Grace’ locations

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Some pretty shonky acting from some of the cast.
John Simm is always watchable though. As opposed to Ian Beale who played him onstage ha!
Pretty entertaining stuff though, and always good to spot familiar places.

When it started and they talked about the shoes and the medium I was thinking I’ve seen this before. It all seems really familiar. Then I looked in my bookshelf and saw I had the book and have read half of it. I gave up because I couldn’t stand how poorly written it was but the series is watchable.

I saw Shane Richie and he was surprisingly good.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Talking of continuity errors reminds me of a James bond film(view to a kill,I think)which had a scene which was filmed at amberley chalk pits.
The scene had bond taking off in a helicopter at which point he fly's over a hill at amberley and appears in silicon valley!!it's quite amusing when you know the first bit of the scene is at amberley.
But I must admit I don't mind too much about any continuity issues in grace,it's just cool to see something that features the local area.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s a fictional crime drama, not a factual documentary.

Thought it was good entertainment, like the books and the stage show

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Condensing the book into around 90 minutes was always going to be a tough ask, particularly when you also need to introduce some of the characters and (in Roy's case) backstory, but think they did a very good job. I'd have preferred a longer treatment, spread over two nights (say), so that some elements of the story had more time to breathe/tension to build, but nevertheless enjoyed it. I'm sure the people behind the adaptation would have loved a longer screen time but it would've been the deal that they were able to get. For those struggling with Peter James's writing style, it improved after the first few books as I think he had feedback over what worked and what didn't.

The second book has been fully filmed but don't know when it will air. Norman Potting (not our NP, unfortunately!) came into the Grace books from book two, so he will be in the second one (Looking Good Dead). The production team are extremely keen to do the rest of the books but depends on the popularity of the first two. With the exception of The Times, who had a very claustrophobic reviewer watch the episode (and therefore unfairly gave it 2/5 purely because for her, the filming of the coffin scenes were particularly effective), the media reviews seemed to be very positive indeed, with an array of 4/5 reviews. Fingers crossed...

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Smugglers Rest these days. I saw them filming there one day on my way to work. Amazing how many trucks etc are needed for one small scene like that...the car park was completely full!

Wife friend flat just down from Sussex square was used in the film Wimbledon, film crew there 7 hours, the scene from the window was 20 seconds. They did film other scenes whilst at the flat but the did not make final cut.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Condensing the book into around 90 minutes was always going to be a tough ask, particularly when you also need to introduce some of the characters and (in Roy's case) backstory, but think they did a very good job. I'd have preferred a longer treatment, spread over two nights (say), so that some elements of the story had more time to breathe/tension to build, but nevertheless enjoyed it. I'm sure the people behind the adaptation would have loved a longer screen time but it would've been the deal that they were able to get. For those struggling with Peter James's writing style, it improved after the first few books as I think he had feedback over what worked and what didn't.

The second book has been fully filmed but don't know when it will air. Norman Potting (not our NP, unfortunately!) came into the Grace books from book two, so he will be in the second one (Looking Good Dead). The production team are extremely keen to do the rest of the books but depends on the popularity of the first two. With the exception of The Times, who had a very claustrophobic reviewer watch the episode (and therefore unfairly gave it 2/5 purely because for her, the filming of the coffin scenes were particularly effective), the media reviews seemed to be very positive indeed, with an array of 4/5 reviews. Fingers crossed...

Unlike poor Michael..:down:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It's the same when they shoot on location in any city. New York..... LA..... the worst one was the Batman movies, Gotham was nothing like it is in real life.

Quite a few movies about New York were shot in Toronto

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

My worst fear is being buried alive. I had to turn it off at that point, I simply couldn't watch it.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Judging by the map, it looked like after Vosper took Grace off the case, he went downstairs and was chatting to Branson in Sinclair Walk. I had to go through the triangle behind them to see a physio after a car accident.
I think its balcony just below Pro Motion Hire. On that map. I worked it out from the roof of building in Trafalgar Place today!

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
The house where they found the chap in is Warren Court at the bottom of Charleston Av off Harbour Heights on the outskirts of Peacehaven. My wife and I used to work there in the early 1980s when it was a residential home for adults with learning disabilities.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Oh god. This x1000

Was watching something on Netflix a few weeks ago, towards the end of the last episode there was a scene where two characters are in a seaside cafe discussing how it had originally been a meeting point for a ferry ride out of the country.

It was the cafe on Worthing Pier :annoyed:

To be fair doesn’t the Waverley leave from Worthing Pier?

So they could have left on that? 😂

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I'll be watching it in the couple of days. I hear that Norman Potting didn't make it into the shoot though, which is a shame

Norman wasn't in the first book. I don't believe he is in episode two either as we have been told he hasn't been cast yet.

Additional:
• The interior police station scenes were shot in the new Worthing tax office in Teville Gate, Worthing.
• On the back of filming two episodes of Grace, John Simm enjoyed himself so much, he is contemplating moving to Brighton.
• A small warehouse on Lancing trading estate was used in a scene. I didn't see it in episode one, so assume it will be for the next one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Watched the first hour last night - haven't read the book.

Definitely does feel a bit rushed, a few moments definitely would have paid off with more emotional impact if I felt like I actually knew the characters. TBH I'm mostly watching it to see bits of Brighton, a city I bloody miss a lot right now.

Simm is a good actor (will always love him for Human Traffic and Mad Dogs) but both me and Mrs Mello found some of the other performances/dialogue a bit poor.

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
Norman wasn't in the first book. I don't believe he is in episode two either as we have been told he hasn't been cast yet.

Additional:
• The interior police station scenes were shot in the new Worthing tax office in Teville Gate, Worthing.
• On the back of filming two episodes of Grace, John Simm enjoyed himself so much, he is contemplating moving to Brighton.
• A small warehouse on Lancing trading estate was used in a scene. I didn't see it in episode one, so assume it will be for the next one.

Craig Parkinson has confirmed he's playing Norman Potting and he'll be in the second one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports