Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Smith- BHA Director of football ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ken Brown was the Managing Director; Martin Perry was the Chief Executive.

Cheers. I never quite worked out the distinction between their roles, anyway (outside of Perry's responsibilities for the building projects, obviously).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He is a relatively high profile person and that can only be seen as a good thing for the clubs ambitions. A person always well received by the press.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Slight difference between vividly remembering something that I witnessed first hand and have seen on tv countless times since, to catching part of a sports news report on the radio, however I do take your point about ageing being being so cruel, I'm of the age where I can spend 10 - 15 mins searching for keys that I am already holding or for a tie that I've already put on!:)

must be the Eastbourne air its been happening to me since moving here

personally I think it would be a good move for both him and the Albion a weath of experience and of coarse the link and his goal in that same final

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Its a yes from me.
He might bring his daughter along to home games
sna0343_380_1017897a.jpg

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Whoever gets the job will have to impress Tony Bloom who seems to have a pretty close knit team of Directors around him, so is not likely to let sentiment be too much of a factor. The Board need complete trust in the postholder. If Smith gets the nod from Bloom then thats ok by me. Smith seems to have a reasonable CV. Being an Albion legend and having a footie pedigree (even if most of it was north of the border) are secondary. From a business perspective some may feel that Smith will be tarnished in some way by the current Rangers fiasco - on the other hand he may be squeaky clean and all too aware of the pitfalls of running a club in a profligate manner, so might even appeal to Bloom?

The only thing is we don't really want is Smith introducing too many second rate sweaties down here, although that Jelavic guy who went to Everton from Rangers looks like a bargain.

Maybe some people on here might be happier to see a Peter Storrie wheeler dealer type........but then that isn't really Tony Bloom's style?

Horsham by the Sea

Apr 29, 2011
Stirling , Scotland
Was just about to post something along these lines.

His recent stint at the SFA will stand him in good stead - I for one would be delighted at his appointment.

I cannot comment on his ability to do the job but having met him recently I can confirm hes a 'bloody nice chap' :)

Having recently moved to Scotland I met Gordon Smith at a Rangers game in January (hospitality), I asked him about the miss and he spent 5 mins chatting about how impressed he was with the Amex, Poyet and the fact we had so sold so many season tickets. He openly said he loved his time on the coast and reminded me he did score in that game. I was at the game (only 9) but I had fogotten ! he also mentioned his book.. and Smith did score.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
I cant see how he wouldnt be the outstanding applicant.

How many of the other candidates would have been head of a national FA.

His work with the SFA was lauded as fresh & invebntive as a result his voice carries great weight in the higher echelons of footballing circles.

Add to that his links with the club & its surely a no brainer.

Certainly not a jobs for the boys thing

How many of the other candidates have scored for Brighton in an FA Cup Final ? ( * At most one other, I guess * )

He's the man, no doubt. Hope he gets it.

And Smith Did Score

May 9, 2010
Glasgow
And for obvious reasons I really hope he gets the job.
1. He loves the club and the south coast living
2. Has years of experience as an agent
3. Has held top positions for SFA and Rangers FC

A top bloke who is so much smarter than your average footballer! I live north of the border and have met him a few times. He recently told me that he was hoping to be back in a high profile job in the near future so maybe this was the one.
Good luck to him!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
His autobiography is worth a read. He never wanted to come to the Albion in the first place, but Rangers wanted to sell.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I understand where you're coming from, but the fact that Gordon Smith played for us thirty years ago gives him little or no insight into the environment we're in now, surely? The Albion, and football as a whole, are unrecognisable from back then.

If he's deemed to be the best man for the job, all power to him, but I'm more interested in his (and any other candidate's) credentials than whether someone made x number of appearances for the club in the past. We used to be a jobs for the boys club, but hopefully we're now becoming a more professional outfit.

Absolutely! If he were to be successful, it would be because he is the best candidate for the job and can fill the precise role that the Board has identified and needs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here