Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Smith- BHA Director of football ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not that affects his application or suitability for the job but I think that he is the only man to have scored in both the FA and SFA cup finals in the same year.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I am interested in how the Argus know he has applied. Not sure if going public is a good thing. Gordon Smith is a smashing guy who has a great feeling for the Albion. Was previously an Agent and who i think helped Rangers financially by walking away from his job. Having read his autobiography he seems to be a very genuine honest guy, and a great knowledge of football. Having met and spoken to Gordon on several occasions he has the Albion at heart. If he is the best candidate then i for one will be extremely happy. Good luck Gordon.

I think this would go down well with Bloom and the Board. The role is about trusting your money to somebody else, and knowing that they will do their damndest to get the best deal for the club , be that buying players, discussing wages, letting out catering contracts, appointing official kit suppliers, maximising profits, dealing with the Police, talking with the Council, PR and Press relations, identifying other opportunities / new business for bringing in extra revenue (corporate sponsorship, new merchandising lines, ticket pricing, concerts, conference hosting), working with Albion in the Community, the list goes on and on and is almost such that the job description is open-ended.......

Even if he isn't expert in all of those roles, the trick is to 'know a man who can.......'

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Not that affects his application or suitability for the job but I think that he is the only man to have scored in both the FA and SFA cup finals in the same year.

Scottish League Cup Final, wasn't it? I'm pretty sure the Scottish Cup Final was on the same day as the FA Cup Final in 1983.

rbolingbroke

Jul 30, 2011
Chief Exec

Reported in the papers up here in Scotland this morning, that Gordon Smith has applied for our vacant CEO role.

Now, putting aside any emotive ties we may have from days gone by, be in no doubt this would be a DISASTROUS appointment for the club.

Speak to anyone based up here who has had no choice but to follow the plight of Rangers in over the last 2-3 years (yes this is not something that just happened a few months ago) and they will concur that this man is not fit for the job...or any job for that matter.

He has failed spectacularly in his roles for the SFA and Rangers, and is now trying to distance himself from the much-aligned Craig Whyte. The truth however will unfold no doubt over the coming months/years, and believe me this man has certainly not been whiter than white in his business affairs.

As an ardent BHA fan north of the border, just wanted to raise my grave concerns and hope that the club see through this man and appoint someone of the top calibre that this club needs...and deserves...to take us forward.

We have been there before, lets not let it happen again.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What exactly has he done that isn't whiter than Whyte?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, you've piqued my interest too... just what has he contributed to Ranger's downfall? I also thought he was considered a good SFA boss?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Rangers downfall was not caused by GS,if you think it was his fault would you be kind enough to explain. Rangers had been on a downward spiral of spending more than they were earning for ages. I'm sure Tony will hire the best man for the job.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I thought Rangers have gone bust because they tried to dodge paying tax on players earnings between 1999-2003. Gordon Smith wasn't at Rangers then.

The other issue was with selling long-term season tickets via Ticketus. Was that Gordon Smith's decision?

Are we missing something? Genuine question, I'm intregued.

And at the SFA the report I read said he tried to implement a number of measures to take the SFA forward but the dinosaurs wouldn't have it so he walked. However he did have a habit of foot in mouth disease whilst there.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The issue of his departure from Rangers is crucial, was he pushed or did he jump?

Gordon Smith: 'I wasn't allowed to do my job at Rangers'STV 23 February 2012 17:50 GMT

Outgoing Rangers director of football Gordon Smith (left).©SNS Group
Facebook Tweet Google Outgoing Rangers director of football Gordon Smith says he was prevented from doing his job under owner Craig Whyte.

Smith has been made redundant by the club's administrators, Duff and Phelps, along with chief operating officer Ali Russell. Both will leave their posts at the end of February.

The former chief executive of the Scottish Football Association was appointed by Whyte in June last year. Smith though says he had little or no say in recruitment at the club during his tenure.

"I would make the point that I was very frustrated in my job as I was unable to fulfil the job specification which was originally outlined for me," Smith said in a statement.

"This was to control the major aspects of the football department outwith the first team operations.

"These were to include recruitment, scouting, transfer negotiations and youth development.

"However, I wasn't in control of any of these activities despite constantly making it clear to Craig Whyte that this was to be my remit.

"I outlined my medium to long term strategies for the Club on numerous occasions to no avail.

"There's no point in being a Director of Football unless you can control these areas, so, in that respect I'm totally comfortable with being made redundant at this time."

Smith also believes his position with the club became "undermined" because of recent revelations over Whyte.

"I admit that under the current circumstances it has not come as a major surprise to me," he said.

"I was brought in by Craig Whyte but because his control and reputation has been damaged by recent disclosures, I feel my own position has been undermined by association.

“It was a great thrill to be offered the Director of Football role at Rangers. As a fan it was a wonderful experience to play such a big part in our treble winning season of 1977/78.

"However like my transfer in 1980 my leaving at this time comes as a tremendous wrench.

"The main thing for me is that Rangers survives and continues to operate as a great football club and I offer my full support going forward to ensure this happens."

As a CEO one would be focusing more on day-to-day running of the club, not strategic planning at board level, so I'm not sure how well his experience sits in with the Brighton job description. Ours is effectively a Managing Director role, but not having the clout to invest in shares such that they sit on the board. They'd only be a salaried employee, reporting to the appropriate director at board level.

We shall have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here