Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Brown,Labour party speech.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just watching 'Underage and Pregnant'. Two in three mothers between the age of 16 - 19 are not in any sort of training, education or employment... Christ.

What exactly are you getting at? They are mothers, stupid to get pregnant so young but the statistic doesn't mean a thing. Are these all unmarried mothers? Are they living with a partner who is supporting them or are they living with family who are suporting them? Have they all been given a council flat?

On the one hand should they all be out at work or, as some experts suggest, should they be bringing up their children as this could influence how their kids grow up?

60 years ago there probably was a statistic that said 90% of all mothers are not in any sort of training, education or employment. Why, because they are busy being mothers.

There has to be more information before you can make any worthwhile comment on that statistic which sounds like it is primed for the front page of the Daily Mail!!!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It was just a shock that is all. Conveying what I heard from the BBC3 documentary. I think Labour are going to fail miserably when it comes to halving teenage pregnancies by 2010, their original pledge in 2000.

The annual cost of teenage pregnancies is thought to be along the lines of £70m and we have the highest rate in the whole of Europe? Why is that? Obviously someone has to be top, but I do think that this has a massive impact on society and the future generations that are being born to young mothers.

I am not wanting to put them all in the same bracket, but they are depriving themselves of the final stages of their childhood and, quite possibly, bringing children into the world when they are not ready to do so.

What happens to these girls when their children are ready to go to school and they have little or no qualifications?

In fact, I think we have seen a recent rise after a few years of decreases.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Labour's masterplan should be to avoid any comeback in the opinion polls , let the Conservatives trounce them at the general election and then get rid of Gordy as leader. After 5 years of a Tory government the electorate will be ready to let Labour back in.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Having a baby at 16 is a means to an end , entitlement to all sorts of benefits and not having to go out and earn a living.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What we must remember is that the LABOUR party are the only ones who care. The TORIES want to kill and eat all of the babies who are born and they wroship the devil.

LABOUR are nice to kittens and create jobs and invented and inderpendent United Kingdom the TORIES invented death and want nothing more than to sell you inderpendance to the Bulgarians and at somestage they will invent a law that gives TORIES the right to drown puppies.

LABOUR are the only ones who care. LABOUR banned slavery and they invented AMERICA AND THEREFORE invented BARACK OBAMA and CAMOROON eats black pepple for breakfast and there fore you should just vote LABOUR and we should ban elctions as we should never EVER let those puppie eating tories back in power.

VOTE LABOUR

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Funny because it's true :clap:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Drew,i just feel to link Cancer,Cure & Labour is rank bad taste. It suggests you just don't care unless you follow Labour. :shrug:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think Gordon Browns point about the Conservative party was spot on. The Tories managed to get the biggest decision facing this country and all other countries wrong. They called it wrong at the height of the banking crisis and the need on a fiscal stimulus. The Tories cutting of spending would have us in a depression.

Maybe ok for their “Eton insulated from the real world” friends, but to the rest of us there would be millions more on the dole and no financial services industry to speak of (Osborne was dead against bailing out the banks)

Even the most blue of right wingers must agree on that one. If they can get that wrong, why trust them to manage the economy in the future.

I’m no favourite of Brown, but the Labour party believing in wealth creation together with social justice, is a far more attractive bet than a Tory party licking its lips at finally being able to dismantle the welfare state and NHS.

Mark my words, A Govt under Cameron and Osborne will be an unmitigated disaster for most in this country. Unless you have private healthcare, can afford private education and have enough stashed away for old age/bad fortune

That is total shit.

For one thing, if you listened to the commentary all the way through the banking crisis you'd notice that none of the expert economists or many world leaders could agree on what the correct action was. I've heard as many people say that the fiscal stimulus might not have made any difference at all, the thing is that it's impossible to prove either way unless you have a time machine.

As for the NHS, Labour have thrown billions at it over the last 10 years and still they are skint and closing units down. The whole system needs reform.

The welfare state is a joke, it is too easy to live off the state and in many cases people are better off not working than taking a minimum wage job. Another system that needs total reform.

I'm not saying that the Tories will fix any of that stuff, in fact you probably won't even notice any difference. Anyone that buys into all this 'the world will fall apart if the Tories get in again' needs mental help.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Labour's masterplan should be to avoid any comeback in the opinion polls , let the Conservatives trounce them at the general election and then get rid of Gordy as leader. After 5 years of a Tory government the electorate will be ready to let Labour back in.
like they did in the eighties ?? dream on mate, i doubt labour will ever get back in again now after showing themselves as intrinsically incompetent, amateurish even.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That is total shit.

For one thing, if you listened to the commentary all the way through the banking crisis you'd notice that none of the expert economists or many world leaders could agree on what the correct action was. I've heard as many people say that the fiscal stimulus might not have made any difference at all, the thing is that it's impossible to prove either way unless you have a time machine.

As for the NHS, Labour have thrown billions at it over the last 10 years and still they are skint and closing units down. The whole system needs reform.

The welfare state is a joke, it is too easy to live off the state and in many cases people are better off not working than taking a minimum wage job. Another system that needs total reform.

I'm not saying that the Tories will fix any of that stuff, in fact you probably won't even notice any difference. Anyone that buys into all this 'the world will fall apart if the Tories get in again' needs mental help.

Its also incredibly hypocritical as the World has already fallen apart under Labour's watch.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I will give Brown this much. The way he has wriggled out of ANY blame for the situation in this country, diverted the crisis to someone else and convinced some people he is now the master leader of the World countries with his rescue packages he has to get some credit for being able to absolve himself from any responsibility whatsoever.

Infact all he does all his speeches are about are " things will be much worse under the tories ". Listen to any of his speeches and he kust trots out that mantra all the time whilst character destroying Cameron.

I think Cameron will DESTROY Brown in his speech next week. I would imagine he is pretty pissed off.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How specifically has Brown changed directions from Blairs? His government has been largely reactionary has it not - dealing with problems that have arisen that are very different from anything we faced under Blair.

Specifically, I can't remember off the top of my head and the google search is showing up recent articles for every word combination I try, and I'm too busy at work to hunt through thousands of results to find what I'm looking for.

Shortly after taking over from Blair, Brown gave a press conference in which he set out what he planned to do, and these things were different to what Blair planned to do (in an effort to distance himself from the then ever increasing unpopular-due-to-the-war Blair).

The things Blair planned to do is what got the labour party elected.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So pleased that Brown has cleared up the confusion over who started the peace process in Northenr Ireland. There was me thinking it was John Major.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can you imagine a block of buildings/flats full of single mothers, seriously? The social implications around a place like that are awful, just awful.

you really dont have to imagine a block full of single mothers, just wonder around an inner city estate.

i think there might be somthing to the idea though, to discourage pregnancy as a way to the front of the social housing queue. you'll still be housed but it will be in a more dormatry style rather than a 3 bed flat/house. all depends on the execution if it would work.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
- they are called knocking shops, brothels. Can you imagine a block of buildings/flats full of single mothers, seriously? The social implications around a place like that are awful, just awful.

That already exists, just take a look at Croydon..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here