Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

good value - name and celebrate

D

Deleted User X18H

True.

First time (my first date with my partner) I asked for the bill three times. Second time I went (about five years later), I asked four times.

Both times they didn't seemed bothered about giving me the bill, so we left. Bargain.

You wouldn't think of leaving the approximate cash on the table then???

D

Deleted User X18H

:facepalm: Who said anything about theft?

And you're not in a position to lecture ANYONE about disgraceful examples either.

So for once in your life, do yourself a favour and belt up, Timmy.

Knowingly leaving a restaurant without paying for goods or services received is theft.

Even Collar Feeler told you and he is almost like John Stalker.

Just trying to help so you won't make the same 'mistake' again.

D

Deleted User X18H

I'm told buying Brighton Bus 'saver tickets' on line, or in retail outlets around town saves you £1.80 a pop.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Technically thats theft :angry: but its also bloody stupid of the restaurant :laugh:

Out of interest, what is the situation if you feel you received a poor service and/or product and refuse to pay the full amount?

I took a cab in London a short while back and the driver made me late for the last train back to Brighton as he drove to Paddington instead of Victoria. Whilst he admitted his mistake and adjusted the fair, I refused to pay the full amount as I had missed my train. I ended up giving him a fiver, 50% of the fare, and telling him to take it or leave it as I walked off.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
£2:30 for a pint of Hophead - or of Youngs at the Horse & Groom, East Ashling near Chichester. Always in great condition and they always have another barrel lined up ready to go as soon as one runs out.

D

Deleted User X18H

Out of interest, what is the situation if you feel you received a poor service and/or product and refuse to pay the full amount?

I took a cab in London a short while back and the driver made me late for the last train back to Brighton as he drove to Paddington instead of Victoria. Whilst he admitted his mistake and adjusted the fair, I refused to pay the full amount as I had missed my train. I ended up giving him a fiver, 50% of the fare, and telling him to take it or leave it as I walked off.

That is fair enough you negotiated a solution to the lack of service you received.

I had similar in Brighton once when astonishingly, the driver tried to drive up the last part of Trafalgar Street. By the time the kerfuffle was sorted I had missed my train and the driver voluntary turned off his meter off and I was later sent some Streamline vouchers I think the bloke dropped them off himself. Bless.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is fair enough you negotiated a solution to the lack of service you received.

I had similar in Brighton once when astonishingly, the driver tried to drive up the last part of Trafalgar Street. By the time the kerfuffle was sorted I had missed my train and the driver voluntary turned off his meter off and I was later sent some Streamline vouchers I think the bloke dropped them off himself. Bless.

We had not negotiated a solution though. He still wanted £10, I would only give him 5. So I gave him what I thought was fair and walked off whilst he hurled a few threats at me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pompoko's - best Jap food in Brighton, £4.20 for most mains and you can take your own pop for a quid.

Dirty Harry's and Immediate on Sydney Street - splendid t-shirts for a tenner.

Agreed on these. Pompoko is ridiculously good.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Sundarban indian take away in rustington... £9.50 for main dish, rice, naan, bombay pots, poppadom, mango chutney, chicken tikka and an onion bhajee. all v good quality indeed....dinner and breaky! they do online orders and delivery..so if you havent..i would!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Knowingly leaving a restaurant without paying for goods or services received is theft.

Unless the law has changed recently, I don't think it is.

You could knowingly leaving a restaurant after refusing to pay for a terrible meal. That's not criminal - there may be a breach of contract (or something) between you and the restaurant. Either side could claim that in the case. But it isn't necessary a criminal matter. It's more likely to be civil.

It's only criminal if the person eating deliberately pays nothing and walks out for no other reason than getting away with it.

That's "making off without payment" or something.

Seeing as he attempted to pay a number of times and the restaurant didn't take his payment there is nothing criminal at all going on here.

That's not to say the meal doesn't still need to paid for, but that would probably be a civil matter if the restaurant were to pursue it.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Unless the law has changed recently, I don't think it is.

You could knowingly leaving a restaurant after refusing to pay for a terrible meal. That's not criminal - there may be a breach of contract (or something) between you and the restaurant. Either side could claim that in the case.

It's only criminal if the person eating deliberately pays nothing and walks out for no other reason than getting away with it.

That's "making off without payment" or something.

Seeing as he attempted to pay a number of times and the restaurant didn't take his payment there is nothing criminal at all going on here.

That's not to say the meal doesn't still need to paid for, but that would probably be a civil matter if the restaurant were to pursue it.

Yeah but isn't the case in point the bill was asked for a number of times, not an attempt to pay.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Which the last time I visited a restaurant was the manner in which I attempted to pay.

Have you actually been to a restaurant ?

Yeah. And if they hadn't presented me with a bill. I would have approximated the amount I thought I owed and left it on the table.

I think most people with any dignity would have done the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here